Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehotsxychiq
Stranger
Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom?
    #3062611 - 08/28/04 06:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Today I went mushroom hunting for my first time. I recently moved to Switzerland from the US and went with a very knowledgeable person but unfortunately I couldn't learn everything the person told me due to language difficulties. We came upon some blueish/purpleish mushrooms the hunter clearly said were not really toxic but were hallucinogenic if you eat a lot of them. My question is 1, how many should be eaten and 2 is there any poisonous look alikes. Basically I want to know if I will die if I eat these. I already ate a small piece of one earlier today and noticed no side effects but it was just a small piece. In the pictures the mushrooms don't show the slight purple tint but I am hoping an expert will be able to tell based on the other characteristics. Thanks for everything!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: hotsxychiq]
    #3062654 - 08/28/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know anything about them
thar shrooms!!!!sorry Nofindum...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#3062765 - 08/28/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Very knowledgeable person You say?
I certainly hope he's a Ph.D. in biology :smirk:
I would not recommend You to consume those mushrooms, although if I use my imagination they vaguely resemble Pluteus salicinus in Your photo. If they are Pluteus salicinus, then they are weakly to moderately active (past analyses have shown 0.05-0.35% psilocybin, 0-0.011% psilocin, and 0-0.008% baeocystin).

Note that I'm not giving an ID, I'm just mumbling. If You want us to give a definite answer, please read and follow the forum guidelines!

--------------------

Offlinehotsxychiq
Stranger
Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: ivi]
    #3062859 - 08/28/04 07:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, thanks for the link. I don't have all the id information but I will write what I know. The mushrooms were found in Switzerland near the swiss alps in the forest. They were mostly found popping up from the ground through wood chips. I know that is not a lot of information but I don't really know what else to say concerning the environment. They didn't have a particular smell other than a smell of dirt. We found some other similar purple mushrooms but they looked slightly different and smelled VERY different. These other ones had a very strong inky smell (horrible smell) which the hunter I went with said were definately toxic. All I know is the person I went with has been mushroom hunting for probably 20 or 30 years and is still alive and knows more than anyone else I have met about mushrooms. The only thing I have to really go on is trust the thing the person said before which is that it is not toxic but is hallucinogenic. However because I can't talk to the person now I wanted to make sure this was correct. I don't have a spore print but if it will help in identifying whether it is poisonous/edible or active I can try and do one though I have never done it before but it doesn't sound too hard. Also the mushroom doesn't appear to bruise at all and stains the same purpleish blueish slight tint. The stem is completeley hollow but other than that I can't think of any other identifying marks. If there is any other information I can give that would help let me know. Thanks!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3062901 - 08/28/04 07:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

THose are not Pluteus and they are definitely not psychoactive looking in any way or w there would be bluing on them. Pluteus have pink gills.

mj

There are pictures int he shrooery's Ultimate shroom guide her eint he FAQ.

mj

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3062914 - 08/28/04 08:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

What about some kind of Inocybe?

--------------------

Offlinehotsxychiq
Stranger
Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: ivi]
    #3064309 - 08/29/04 04:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There definately is blueing but it has faded somewhat since picking. Also, the camera does not pick up the blue/purple tint for some reason. When I picked them in the forest they were easy to spot because of the blue/purpleish color...I'm working on getting a spore print too...would that help in identifying the mushroom?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3064356 - 08/29/04 04:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Psilocybian mushrooms stain blue.

Pluteus stain blue, not purplish. Purple -to chocolate purple-brown are the colors of the spores and spore print for the genera Psilocybe.

Pluteus have pinkish gills and do no have any purple color in them.

Inocybe (there are six species with psilocybine/psilocine), and have too many dangerous muscarine producing members in their genera to want to attempt to eat or pick them if you are not a trained mycologist.

And shroom hunters in woods who never took a course in mycology but pick shrooms in the woods all of their lives have died misidentifying shrooms because they macroscopically resemble shrooms they ate elsewhere.
This is common in America's west coast where Asians and europeans end up in emergency room treatment centers for eating a poisonous shroom which they claim to have eaten in their home towns or villages with no problems and there are color purple or spore print or purplish tint to them.

Pluteus species have white to pink to salmon colored gills in age. The stem is white to grayish green and blues lightly at the base of the stem.

no purplish color whatsoever./

On Inocybe haemacta gills, their color is grayish to grayish-brown with green overtones and red towards the edges and fading to reddish color in age.

Becasue of your purplish tinge, it is s doubtful it is Inocybe or Pluteus species and again I asked members to avoid orange cinnamon or whitish spored color shrooms over the black gills of Panaeolus/Copelandia to the purplish-chocolate-brown gills of the Psilocybe species.

Do not eat anything you are not 100% positively sure of, even if you think your friend knows what he is doing.

mj

Offlinejhon
FriggenFudge

Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3064438 - 08/29/04 07:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wow mj Tripping hard you made over 30 friggen spelling errors in that response... Heh

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Purpleish mushroom Identification help! Magic Mushroom? [Re: jhon]
    #3064749 - 08/29/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That s what happens at 2 am in the morn with no light in the room except the computer and bad eyes and glasses. I will immediately go and re-edit it so there are no typos/.
mj The master of the Typos analysts

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification