Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
G2G transfers too good to be true?
    #3062343 - 08/28/04 05:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know I just posted... so sorry if I'm an ass for doing it right away again :frown:  I just noticed on other forums that if I posted a question and asked another one in the same thread the second one never got answered. Anyway...

I just read about G2G transfers and it seems too good to be true. Let me make sure I understand this because it seems so simple and usually things that seem so simple are misunderstood. So all I do is make a normal rye jar and let it colonize? I then use this as a spawn jar, making other rye jars as usual but not inoculating them, and then scooping some of the spawn jar's colonized substrate in the uninoculated jars? It just seems too good to be true... making 10+ jars out of 1 without buying or making another syringe. Also, if this is all there is to it, has anyone had success with this? Is there less in each flush or is it the same as inoculating the new jars with a spore syringe? Thanks so much!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3062393 - 08/28/04 05:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

No it isnt too good to be true,in fact it is common practice and works fantastic!

The trick is that it has to be done in a sterile environment given the fact that the jars will be open for a brief time during the transfer. A cheap storage container can be converted into a glovebox that will provide the perfect tool for making good clean transfers.

As far as how it works compared to multispore inocculation via syringe it breaks down like this:

-the colonization time is greatly reduced due to not having to wait for germination.

-the yields arent effected unless you isolate a substrain that is a proven fruiter and grow it in what is known as a master jar. Each transfer made from this jar to start a new one will produce another jar containing only one substrain vs. many which have to compete for domination of the food source. This method can and will greatly improve the yield of your grows.

There is much more info in the faq's that you will want to read up on so it looks like you need to get busy on some reading!

Good Luck!

--------------------

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: Mykey]
    #3062412 - 08/28/04 05:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The FAQs is where I found it :smile:  I know I have more to read though. Thanks so much for the responce. I already turned a cheap plastic storage container into a ghetto glovebox for like $30, haha. Works great. I just couldn't believe how easy it sounds. I'm excited now :smile:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#3063254 - 08/28/04 09:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good to see you have been doing your homework!
The g2g transfer is an excellent method of preparing good grain spawn.
IMHO it goes without saying that your goal should be to obtain a good isolate for making up your master grain jar. If you dont want to invest in agar and the little bit of hassle of preparing it you should check out the cardboard cloning tek that ATWAR has put together. You can find it in the advanced cultivation faq's. This method works very well and is about as easy as it gets as far as obtaining a reliable isolate that you know will fruit well in your particular set of environmental conditions. Seak and perfect these tecniques and you will be very happy my friend!

Here is the link to ATWAR's cardboard cloning tek-> clicky!

Good Luck!

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: Mykey]
    #3063426 - 08/28/04 10:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

G2G is teh best part of grains. Make sure you only to use your best jars as good growth will continue into the new jars. Ive had jars colonize in as short as 6 days with G2G using a high spawn ratio and cracked corn.

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3063508 - 08/28/04 11:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

What ratio did you use? Just curious. I was going to try to make 10 jars from 1. Also, while I was searching shroomery and google for more information on the subject I saw this post (http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat-Number-1304592.html). Do you really have to select the most active part of the rye jar or could you just throw it all in different jars and let some colonize slower then others? Speed isn't really a must... just nice. I also don't really care about going past 3 gens. I can always get more spores/syringes. Thanks so much for the info so far guys!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3063552 - 08/28/04 11:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I made 24 jars with 1 and they were all done in 7-9 days. Using Rye..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3063576 - 08/28/04 11:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Did you use the whole jar or just select the parts that were growing best in the jar? I think that other thread I read is just trying to make things too difficult

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3063587 - 08/28/04 11:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I used 2 heaping tablesppons per quart, it would be about a 6:1 ratio, so you can make 6 jars. I would reccomend only using one heaping tablespoon because it reduces chance for contams.

Use the whole jar. If your jar is all good growth then one spot starts growing real nice rizos shake it and allow the whole jar to colonize with the rizo growth then G2G.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: G2G transfers too good to be true? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3063668 - 08/29/04 12:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I used the whole jar, there arent really any parts of a jar that look better then the others. I do pick the jar that grew the quickest and looks the best though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation