Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

The worst possible things
    #3061850 - 08/28/04 02:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It seems as if there are things which human beings do which are the ultimate in negative actions. Torture, genocide, raped, renting a VHS tape and not rewinding; just really awful stuff.

Is there something beyond those intentions which are designed to cause suffering to others?

Relgion typically answers this by assigning an ultimate diety to the two sides of good and evil. Generally speaking, I view good & evil as ways of assigning values to the positive and negative actions human beings commit, and usually the negative things are the result of unhealthy psycho-social thinking. Using that model, it seems there are limits to how low people can go, and how much pain is physically possible.

I think it's interesting, because there does seem to be an extreme in terms of psychological or physical pain that is possible, but the more positive emotions seem so utterly open-ended that there may very well be an inifite amount of pleasureful emotions that people can experience.

What do you think? Is there is limit to how painful things can be, or is it infinite possibilties to it? Can you think of actions which would be more horrifying then things that humans have actually commited? Certainly hell would sound that way, but things that happen in such a description aren't any worse than the things which can happen here on Earth (except for the promise of eternal suffering, which is obivously quite alarming). Since that's not physical possible (for all we know), it's rather hard to count it though. So I'm talking about a limit to suffering in terms of realistic possiblities.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: The worst possible things [Re: Twirling]
    #3061871 - 08/28/04 02:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I've always thought of the ultimate suffering as being some sort of complete seclusion from everything (sounds, sights, thoughts...the whole nine yards) if it were possible to induce this sort of void (which I'm sure it most likely is, though I couldn't even begin to assume how exactly it would be done) then, in my mind anyway, that would be the worst possible thing anyone could ever experience - the idea of existing without knowledge of said existance...a sort of limbo between life and afterlife if you will

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The worst possible things [Re: Muppet]
    #3061941 - 08/28/04 02:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I guess that begs the quesion "Is ignorance is really bliss; if you were unaware of external experiences, would you feel it?" I think in some ways, that's part of the reason for our existance in the first place and for the duality of good & bad. If we were completely innocent of the horrors of reality, we'd never learn from it and actually know what it's like.

Of course, it's tough to infer a theological absolute from that, but it makes logical, rational sense.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The worst possible things [Re: Twirling]
    #3061955 - 08/28/04 03:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

well at least on some primal level, if you're hurting others, then you're helping yourself. See a threat, react accordingly. Generally, "good" deeds for family members are automatically expected, and "bad" deeds against family members are very frowned upon - survival of your lineage.

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: The worst possible things [Re: Muppet]
    #3062866 - 08/28/04 07:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Muppet said:
I've always thought of the ultimate suffering as being some sort of complete seclusion from everything (sounds, sights, thoughts...the whole nine yards)

Get Skeleton Crew by Stephen King and read the story called The Jaunt.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology