Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScolecite
enthusiast

Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers?
    #3057264 - 08/27/04 10:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Im asking becuase anyway you look at it, you are introducing easier access to contams.

1. Tape may be the best, but I was concerned about the nooks and crannys in the container where there would be trapped air. Combine that with 95% humitidy, and it seems it would be a breeding ground for contams.

2. Same worries with Aluminum foil, but worse there would be more of an air gap, and the foil would still have to be attached to the containers some how.

3. Is there dark containers that you guys know about that are easy to find. Walmart has no dark containers, only larger white ones, that are 12Qt. Thats too many eggs in one basket for me. I was hoping for 6-7qt containers.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Scolecite]
    #3057296 - 08/27/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the grocery stores generaly carry glad ovenware in 9 X 12: 2 Pans & Lids (96 OZ / 2.8 L) and a smaller less useful size, it has a black bottom and a translucent top that snaps on.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3057330 - 08/27/04 11:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You could paint the outside of a clear container with black paint, and that way it will still be microwave sterilization safe( as opposed to tin foil...).

OfflineScolecite
enthusiast

Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3057335 - 08/27/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

thanks but too small

Oh, and a deeper casing from 4 to 5 inches is better right? Even if the top surface area is equally smaller? Or should I go with the most surface area, less casing depth?

OfflineScolecite
enthusiast

Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Darcho]
    #3057424 - 08/27/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Darcho said:
You could paint the outside of a clear container with black paint, and that way it will still be microwave sterilization safe( as opposed to tin foil...).

Hmmm yes I could use black spray paint maybe...

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

#3057446 - 08/27/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you do try it out, let me know. I will be needing to do something similar to this and will try this method. So if I do it before you I can telly ou how it turns out.

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3057692 - 08/27/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Scolecite said:
Quote:

Darcho said:

Hmmm yes I could use black spray paint maybe...

black paint is a bad idea... you can get various colored tubs at different stores... look at home depot and lowes as well..

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3057726 - 08/27/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

NO NO not black spray paint it will delaminate(sp?). Just wrap the  lower with foil! KISS :wink: Or buy the right ones right from the beginning :wink: right? right. GL guys

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: hyphae]
    #3058913 - 08/27/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Why would foil introduce contams? You just wrap it around the bottom of the container, it doesnt touch the substrate or anything.

As far as thickness. 1-2inches for grain is prefered, thicker if using dung orstraw. Thicker substrate will give you bigger shrooms but more surface area will give you alot more slightly smaller shrooms for a better total yeild. Or use thicker substrate and lots of surface area and get big shrooms and lots of them.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3059243 - 08/27/04 07:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I thought tin foil would not work, as I sterilize my fruiting containers and the bottom layer of vermiculite in the microwave...

Will all black paints delaminate if heated in the microwave?

What about electrical tape or duct tape? Will those be able to survive a microwave sterilization? I am thinking that the adhesive would give under the heat, but I may be wrong...

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: hyphae]
    #3059364 - 08/27/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
NO NO not black spray paint it will delaminate(sp?). Just wrap the  lower with foil! KISS :wink: Or buy the right ones right from the beginning :wink: right? right. GL guys

the delaminating is one of the reasons, the VOCs given off while the paint flashes off is another, a person couls go through the proscess of the primer (not like paint primer, more like alcohol) and then an automotive paint to prevent it having paint problems for several years but it racks up the costs, and simply isnt worth the trouble

with Foil, it will block all the light (put the dull side in and use tape to secure it) and it really isnt nescisary to sterilize it, but it's a good safety precaution.

hyphae, this wasnt aimed at you, I just thought I would acknowledge that you are right, simple is best, thats why I posted the ovenware

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3059387 - 08/27/04 08:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmmm.....I think this problem is overblown. I use to wrap em in foil. Decided to leave it off a few times back. Not gonna bother to waste foil again. This may just be luck.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Darcho]
    #3059421 - 08/27/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Darcho said:
I thought tin foil would not work, as I sterilize my fruiting containers and the bottom layer of vermiculite in the microwave...

you can add the foil after it's microwaved... small amounts are usable in a microwave but it's just a couple square inches at a time without posing a danger to the unit

Quote:

Will all black paints delaminate if heated in the microwave?

no, but the special purposes paint (as with all of them) will cook off and stink everything up, try things that have no solvent bases, the fumes from curing (takes several weeks) can cause aborts and mutants

Quote:

What about electrical tape or duct tape? Will those be able to survive a microwave sterilization?

Duct tape has a metalic base and may hold but because of its construction will probably be an attractant for comtams... electrical tapes generaly have low temp adhesive...

Foil, construction paper and other stuff is usable, just apply it after you sterilize.. your container will still be sterile if it remains closed... I have used fooil even on bags and is what I recomend if the ovenware isnt suitable

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: Magash]
    #3059437 - 08/27/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

magash,
what is the composition of your casing if i may ask. Beatidul pics. I have read alot of the pages about your PMP. I have 12 jars of brown rice/verm that are 2 or three days away from being completely colonized...my wonder is, what would you suggest i do when the jars are completely ready for the next step?

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Whats the best way to cover clear casing containers? [Re: qwon]
    #3061785 - 08/28/04 01:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

re: prisoner#1

Yeah, I just realized that now. I wasn't thinking enough before... Duh, add the tinfoil after you sterilize the fruiting chamber.... I should have know this. Sorry for the pointless posts... Well at least now I know definately what not to do. Thanks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation