Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
Pressure Cooker
    #3057030 - 08/27/04 06:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

When I am done using the pressure cooker, when I want to make the pressure go down can I just put it in my sink and spray it with water? Or do I need to let it sit for 30-45 min?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: RetardedChemist]
    #3057045 - 08/27/04 06:26 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Slow cooling down is what you want.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineMacGuru
Wannabee

Loc: Alpha Tau Ceti
    #3057049 - 08/27/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Don't toy with those things. I pressure cook/can for a long time. If you go at 15 psi, you literally have the potential of a bomb sitting on your stove. If your in a hurry, let the pressure drop below 5 pounds then put the weight on the side (good for presto, not sure for other makes) to let the pressure down.

A sudden drop in pressure can lock your cooker, and a sudden drop in temperature can break your jars.

Cheers !

--------------------
I love sexy computers, especially when they are virus free. :smile:

Invisiblewizard2k
life-scientist

Loc: NRW
    #3057072 - 08/27/04 06:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It depends on what you are pressure cooking. Agar medium should cool down slowly until it is aprox. at 60 to 80?C.
If you reduce pressure at high temperature (~100?C and higher), the liquids will overcook and be distributet in your PC.
If you are interested in more details, you can refer to a physikal chemistry book about entropy and so on.

An other issue is inflowing air when cooling down the PC.
You can open it directly in front of a flowhood if you sterilized solid things like rye etc. and you dont want to wait.
You have no flowhood? Let the processed things cool down in the pc. It is more save.
[ENTROPY]: "a measure of the unavailable energy in a closed thermodynamic system that is also usually considered to be a measure of the system's disorder and that is a property of the system's state and is related to it in such a manner that a reversible change in heat in the system produces a change in the measure which varies directly with the heat change and inversely with the absolute temperature at which the change takes place"

--------------------
Looking for: Volvariella volvacea, Panaeolus Cyanescens and rare edibles. Trades are welcome!

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #3057074 - 08/27/04 06:41 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Someone here once posted pics of what happens when your in a rush to cool them down and open them.

Dont.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3057100 - 08/27/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That is your first test of patience don't blow it at such an early stage :wink: Boilovers are the number one concern and only relavent to liquid medias, flawed jars can also crack but solid jars should be just fine. I stand by the negative pressure with the weight removed and the contents cool inside, some say it won't but I personally have read this in the books so until I read different, I can see why it happens. GL

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #3057499 - 08/27/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Do NOT put the PC in the sink and run cool water over it to cool it faster. That rapid temp change can cause thermal fatigue, which will cause cracks in the PC. You probubly won't see the cracks, and next time it pressurizes it can explode like a bomb.

Just remove the dangling weight after it cools down to 10 psi, steam will vent and that is as fast as you want to cool it.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3057516 - 08/27/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD NOT DO THAT SIR :tongue2:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: meanoldman]
    #3057668 - 08/27/04 10:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That depends on the pressure cooker. In mine?s instructions says that after cooking food, you can run cool water over it lightly without sinking it while pressing the button that leaves the pressure out. That way you don?t need to wait 2 hours to eat your chili  :cool: But that is about cooking food not mushroom substrate in jars :wink:.

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3057675 - 08/27/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I've never ever heard of stress fracturing a PC? There is enough mass where it will ONLY cool at a certain degree.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: hyphae]
    #3057741 - 08/27/04 11:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

wrong... rapid cooling can do wonders for steel but with aluminium it wreaks havoc... the majority of PC under 50 years old are made from aluminum

OfflineMacGuru
Wannabee

Loc: Alpha Tau Ceti
    #3057742 - 08/27/04 11:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I know recent pressure cookers will never explode. Safety locks and pressure safety plugs have been added since the last 20 years to prevent this.

But consider all the energy contained within. Handling it from the stove to the sink is indeed risky business. I dont want to imagine what the steam jet will do to a face if the weight drops from the output nipple. I dont want to think what will happen if the PC is accidently dropped on the floor with stuff still boiling at + 260 f in it.

Dont play with this, it's not worth the risks.

--------------------
I love sexy computers, especially when they are virus free. :smile:

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3057748 - 08/27/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My Grandmom and my mom both use to plung the pc right under cold water when they were canning food. They would get several hundred jars done over a weekend. But......... thier jars were sealed, where our jars are not.

The water will diffently boil out of the jars if you cool it down to fast. Remember the temps are still going to be well over the boiling point of water and when you suddely release th epressure the water in jars explodes into steam.
I once did exactly that. When I pulled the jars ou tthe subst. Was all smashed aginst the sides of jars. When I opened them the middle was all gone!! The cake were as mess.

--------------------

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3057817 - 08/27/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

whats the hurry go smoke a j and watch some tv. give it time to cool down so you don't have to spend time at the hospital.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3057856 - 08/27/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>rapid cooling can do wonders for steel but with aluminum it wreaks havoc...

True. The manual of the All American specifically warns against rapid cooling with water.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3057858 - 08/27/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I would argue the point but the point is you don't place a fully pressurized PC in ice water period. You can and this is a fact aid cooling with water without absolutely any problems if you have a clue what your doing. I was raised with PC's also so I know my shit forward and backwards. This thread has gotten side track somewhat. The proper way to do it is let it cool down slowly if possible if your in a hurry to get say 300 bags of WBS out in a weekend then you must use your head, I've placed very hot PC's in hot water and added cold water as needed to bring down temps within 30min. works just fine. You do not want to cool a PC rapidly mainly when using liquids (FACT) boilovers WILL result. I hope this answers any/all questions. GL guys And said with all respects to Prisoner#1  :thumbup:

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #3057889 - 08/27/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I certainly could never recommend trying to cool a hot PC with anyhing other than air. The odds of something very bad happening are not great, but the severity of injury would be enormous if it did happen.

Pull the rocker valve off and point a fan at it if you are in a big hurry.

Once the pressure is zero, go ahead and open it and swap out the scalding jars with new ones. I know time can be a limiting factor, but injury isn't worth saving a few minutes.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3057923 - 08/27/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You are missing the point. I do not recommend it! read all my posts! I do recommending never pull the rocker off until pressure is near zero. The way I recommended I will stand behind (hot water bath). Fan also works great to.

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3057955 - 08/27/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree it is most important not to let the pressure off all at once.

The reason we PC is to get the temps higher than the boiling point of water. Under pressure the water is not boiling . It is slowly bubbling because of the higher pressures.But the temps are much higher.

FACT If you release the pressure to quickly the water will turn to steam and rush out of the jars.

This is a law of Physics not something to dispute.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure Cooker [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3057993 - 08/27/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Never once disagreed with that :wink: Agreed The water will also boil out of the jars at once! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate