Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Upstate NY
A question about pressure cooking...
    #3055152 - 08/26/04 09:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've got a small "wobble-top" type pressure cooker that can cook 4 jars at a time. When it's cooking filled jars, I let it's weight wobble moderately for the entire process and water dropped on it's lid while it's cooking evaporates within 3 seconds. These two factors lead me to believe that I've got the pressure and temperature that I need. The third factor I'm wondering about is the time factor. I let my last 12 jars go for about 75 minutes. I'm asking about the time factor because my last batch of jars went right from the pressure cooker into an airtight glove box fitted with a hepa filtration system for inoculation and I already have 7 jars with green mold in them. Is it possible that my jars weren't completely sterilized after cooking them for over an hour? If not, where is this mold coming from?

I used Alien substrate -- after adding cooked jars to the glove box (had to open it 3 times to add jars because of the size of my cooker) I sprayed the glove box with lysol and displaced it's air after letting it sit for 10 to 15 minutes to kill off contaminates -- cleaned the needles in the glove box with alcohol and squirted a bit of fluid out of them before using each one of them... I'm just having a hard time understanding why I've ended up with such a high number of contaminated jars.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: A question about pressure cooking... [Re: JuneSomething]
    #3056718 - 08/27/04 04:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Where did the contamination start? If it started only at the inoculation points then likely the syringes or a dirty inoculation procedure is to blame.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum