Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
why the dark in colonization stage?
    #3054747 - 08/26/04 08:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Recently purchased some grow bags and unlike any other grow ops I've tried this one says during colonization it should be placed ina dark place, and my question is- why? How crucial is this- when I colonized other systems of bags and whatnot they worked fine sitting on top of my fridge- and I can't understand it. Can anybody who has worked extensively with these bags tell me a good reason for dark during the first stages of growth? Thank you in advance- SBT

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCornelius
Heinous Anus
Male User Gallery

Loc: T.O.
Re: why the dark in colonization stage? [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3054779 - 08/26/04 08:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't worked extensively with bags, but I can't imagine it being any diffent from the PF tek - keeping it in a dark place prevents the mycellium from pinning prematurely. The light signals the mycellium to start fruiting. You want the substrate in the bag to be as fully colonized as possible before you let it fruit.

You should read the PF tek anyway just to understand the basics of the growing process...

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#3054804 - 08/26/04 08:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Keeping them in the dark encourages them to focus on the vegetative cycle of growth. During this time they will need to focus on colonizing and dominating all of the availabe food source and establishing a strong mycelial network which will aid in the efficient use of water and nutrients during the fruiting stage. This is also very important as far as contams are concerned because once the myc has completely colonized the substrate the chances of any contams being able to gain a foothold and thrive are greatly diminished.

If light is introduced excessively during this stage the myc is sort of confused because light is one of the signals in nature that tells it that it needs to begin fruiting. This may account for slow colonization and/or premature pinning before the substrate is fully colonized. That is a bad situation for your myc to be in considering the fact that the neighboring uncolonized substrate will likely invite some nasty contams that will get in there and mix it up with your mycelium.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3055163 - 08/26/04 09:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So that pinning doesn't start prematurely. Now in most cases it won't. Myc usually needs 3 things to start pinning, air exchange, light, and lack of nutrients to eat. This is why we get the "my cake won't fruit" posts cause in most cases the center of the cake isn't done and the myc won't fruit till it is. (like I said this isn't always the case)
Now remember air exchange and gas exchange are different things.

Like I said in most cases you can do jars and bags in the light but better safe then sorry.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: why the dark in colonization stage? [Re: Magash]
    #3055403 - 08/26/04 10:24 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you all- that (those) was (were) my reasonable suspicion(s)! You guys are the best- I think I figured out a solution- hang blankets so that direct light (from only one fourty watt lamp, but still) son't hit it, but it will still get good air exchange! Peace all. I'm loving your sig. configuration of pics, Magash. That's the way to say it!

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Offlinemeanoldman
old guy
    #3057523 - 08/27/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

How are gas exchange and air exchange different things?

Both are the removal of high concentrations of CO2, the byproduct of respiration by the myc, by exchanging that "air" with air of a lower CO2 concentration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation