Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJuneSomething
Novice

Loc: Upstate NY
Could one add salt to substrate to help keep out green mold?
    #3054562 - 08/26/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I just read a little from a recent thread and was wondering if I could add salt to my Alien substrate mix right from the beginning to help combat the green mold I'm now seeing in my jars.

I just inoculated 12 jars and seven of them are already growing tiny patches of green mold in them. As I implied above, I used the Alien mix, pressure cooked the jars for over and hour at a good temp and inoculated the jars in an airtight glove box with a hepa type filtration system.

A side note -- when I received my syringes, there was water in the bag that they came in and the caps that went over the needles had tiny amounts of water in them. However, before I used them, I cleaned them real well with alcohol.

I've done this before and have only ended up with three out of twelve jars growing mold. The only difference between this time and the last was that last time I used a different substrate mix and also wasn't very careful about working in a clean environment. Go figure.

So... add salt to my substrate? And could the fact that my syringes were leaking be a cause of so many contaminates?

Thanks,
June19th77@earthlink.net

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Could one add salt to substrate to help keep out green m [Re: JuneSomething]
    #3077960 - 09/01/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

So... add salt to my substrate?

I don't think it will do any good, in fact, salt won't let anything grow and that means mycelium too.

Quote:

And could the fact that my syringes were leaking be a cause of so many contaminates?

Maybe, although is difficult to say for sure, a leaking syringe could mean contraction/expansion of materials due to extreme heat or cold and also mishandling when transported. In both cases, the probability of contamination might increase.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum