Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedantethemad
Warrior Monk
ID Please...
    #3052195 - 08/26/04 06:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Found in Michigan, just after a nipply night and a massive thunder storm. I dont think they are anything special... But I've never seen these before. They popped up within the last day or two as far as I know. They were growing in the lawn, and were completely soaked due to the auto sprinklers that somehow thought it would be cool to hose down the lawn after a thunder shower.

They are pretty soggy yet, so they kind of look flat in the pic. They were growing in little clusters here and there. The almost looked like little brownish road cones or something, a weird shape sort of like, well, cones. Anyways, the stems go straight up into the tip top of the cone, and they dont appear to be attached to the gills.

The gills themselves are a dull brown color.

The caps appear to be darker on the point than they are around the base.

And the spore print is a muddy, almost nestlea chocolate brown color. But since there is just as much water coming through onto the paper as there are spores, its hard to be precise right now.

Anyways, I hope I covered all the points needed. I'm not hoping for a great find, but I am really curious.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedantethemad
Warrior Monk
Re: ID Please... [Re: dantethemad]
    #3052205 - 08/26/04 06:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Oh one more detail, the caps range in size from that of a dime to that of a quarter, and some a bit larger. Though the cone shape makes it impossible to estimate the real wingspan of the things.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3052819 - 08/26/04 10:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

they look like conocybes. probably Conocybe lactea.

DH

Offlinedantethemad
Warrior Monk
Re: ID Please... [Re: spores]
    #3053810 - 08/26/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Definately matchest the Conocybe lactea descriptions. I can't find any info on it though. Is it even edible?

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #3053841 - 08/26/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinedantethemad
Warrior Monk
Re: ID Please... [Re: @cro]
    #3053865 - 08/26/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ok thanks, but I did that... What I meant was, nodbody seems to know if it is edible, but no big deal, thanks for all your help guys. I'm now 1 percent smarter about whats growing on the lawn.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #3053954 - 08/26/04 02:59 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It's not poisonous. But it is listed as unknown cause it's relatively useless as food. It's too small to make a meal out of or have good texture.
Arora states "to say it lacks substance is a gross understatement. As Alexander Smith points out, toddlers would be the only ones tempted to eat it, and if it were poisonous, we would probably know by now."

--------------------

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: ID Please... [Re: @cro]
    #3057381 - 08/27/04 09:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://titles.cambridge.org/journals/journal_article.asp?mnemonic=MYC&pii=S0953756203008190

Quote:

Mycological Research
Volume 107, Issue 8 (pp 969 - 979)

Heather E. HALLEN, Roy WATLING, Gerard C. ADAMS

Taxonomy And Toxicity Of Conocybe Lactea And Related Species

Abstract
Conocybe lactea was examined as part of a larger study on the distribution of amatoxins and phallotoxins in fungi, and the taxonomic relationships between these fungi. As amatoxins are present in the congener C. filaris, the locally abundant C. lactea was examined using HPLC and mass spectroscopy. Amatoxins were not found in C. lactea, but the related phallotoxins were present in small quantities making it the first fungus outside of the genus Amanita in which phallotoxins have been detected. Despite the presence of a related toxin, C. lactea was found not to be taxonomically close to C. filaris. Phylogenetic analyses using nuclear ribosomal RNA genes indicated that North American specimens of C. lactea were conspecific with North American specimens of C. crispa in Conocybe sect. Candidae. European C. crispa was a distinct taxon. The implications of the use of the name C. albipes for these taxa are discussed. Nucleotide data confirmed placement of the sequestrate taxon Gastrocybe lateritia in sect. Candidae, but as a distinct taxon. It is hypothesized that the unique sequestrate morphology of G. lateritia may be caused by a bacterial infection.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Please... [Re: ivi]
    #3057799 - 08/27/04 11:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

An interesting bit of information.

You should realize that phallotoxins are destroyed by your digestive system. They cause no harm when eaten. They are quite deadly, however, when injected.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck