Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJingles
Loc: Michigan
Casing with compost
    #3049759 - 08/25/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I recently tried casing with the Thailand Koh's with moderate results.

For the jars I used a combination of Vermiculite and brown rice flour (pretty standard). When the jars were fully colonized I cased them with a mixture of vermiculite and peat moss. The first flush was fantastic, the second flush was weak.

I had just recieved a bag of the dehydrated compost from Mycosupply. I want to try growing the Thailand Koh's on the compost, but I'm not sure if I quite grasp exactly how to do it.

Here's the question: Would I still grow the mycelium on Vermiculite and brown rice flour in the jars, then case them with the compost and nothing else? If not, what else is needed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

Re: Casing with compost [Re: Jingles]
    #3050400 - 08/25/04 08:27 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Every time I have used a casing material that is full of nutrition ( Compost) I have serious contm. problenms after the first flush

I would stick to the know casings ( verm, jiffymix,etc..) and not Compost

Compost will not work very good as a casing material

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing with compost [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3050811 - 08/25/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Hell, I'd try the poo, that stuff looks cool. I think you weigh it out and add around 10X as much water by weight. Or just add water until the shit feels right. Yum!

Anyway, pm Lana at mycosupply if you want help. I'm sure she knows her shit.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #3050840 - 08/25/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jingles said:

Here's the question: Would I still grow the mycelium on Vermiculite and brown rice flour in the jars, then case them with the compost and nothing else? If not, what else is needed?

#1 question... Yes or do grains
If you case with a nitrient rich soil or poo you have to let it colonise just like you do in your jars ...
Then its best to case with a non-nutrient material like verm/coir
Kapesch!!

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3051873 - 08/26/04 02:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Compost makes a good substrate but a poor casing.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
Re: Casing with compost [Re: dog]
    #3051900 - 08/26/04 02:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i second dog

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

OfflineKaptainK
Pirate Guy

Loc: over there....
Re: Casing with compost [Re: sillysimon]
    #3052337 - 08/26/04 07:25 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ahoy, the only time i cased with compost it took forever to colonize the shit then after it was almost there we got a new friend - green mold

--------------------
A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth, but no one should be asked to handle this trip.

:samurai:

OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
    #3052707 - 08/26/04 09:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds to me like some people mix up what casing is with initiating a spawn run.

When you take spawn (colonized grain or verm/brf) and break it up and mix it with a pasteurized nutritive substrate (poo, straw, compost, etc) you are initiating a spawn run for a bulk technique. This is fine, but you don't want to expose it to the elements quite yet. You want to keep it sealed/wrapped and let that colonize fully. I used simple poly wrap I got at Home Depot for like $3 a giant roll.

Once you have a fully colonized block of substrate you THEN case with a moistened non-nutritive material like vermiculite/coir, etc.

A casing is not there to provide food for the mycelium... it is there to provide moisture so that your casing will provide more/more even flushes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate