Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecarpediem13
wanderer
Loc: Europe
Casing questions
    #3052230 - 08/26/04 08:24 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If I use the great rye tek that has overwhelmed this forum lately, would perlite be a sufficent method of providing humidity? I don't want to setup the martha... just a basic terrarium with perlite if possible.

Also, what size containers are those used for the casing? I'm curious as to the measurements... mine seem a little smaller but maybe not.

Hmmm... and for fear of sounding like a complete idiot, exactly what is simmering? My wife does all the cooking. I didn't even know what a pressure cooker was until recently :smile:

And lastly, I know you want air exchange in your terrarium but you also want humidity. Well, isn't that what the rye jars need too? And we accomplish air exchange with the tyvek which also keeps the rye moist... so couldn't you cut a hole in a plastic terrarium, cover it with tyvek, and keep the humidity high while allowing constant air exchange? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance for putting up with stupid newbies :smile:

--------------------
Life is a dream on the way to death...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecarpediem13
wanderer
Re: Casing questions [Re: carpediem13]
    #3053325 - 08/26/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:frown:

--------------------

Offlineevilchipmunk
All your nutsare belong tome.

#3053575 - 08/26/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

If I use the great rye tek that has overwhelmed this forum lately, would perlite be a sufficent method of providing humidity? I don't want to setup the martha... just a basic terrarium with perlite if possible.

Yep, a sterelite tub with perlite works just fine, ime.

Quote:

Also, what size containers are those used for the casing? I'm curious as to the measurements... mine seem a little smaller but maybe not.

I'm not sure what magash uses but mine are anywhere from 4-6 inches deep. 1 inch moist verm layer on the bottom, 2-4 inches substrate, 1/2 to 1 inch of casing.

Quote:

Hmmm... and for fear of sounding like a complete idiot, exactly what is simmering? My wife does all the cooking. I didn't even know what a pressure cooker was until recently.

You put your grain in a pot, cover with a couple inches of water, heat to a boil then lower your temperature and just cook it on low for a while so it soaks up the water, you will see some of the grains starting to burst. Don't forget to rinse after simmering!

Quote:

And lastly, I know you want air exchange in your terrarium but you also want humidity. Well, isn't that what the rye jars need too? And we accomplish air exchange with the tyvek which also keeps the rye moist... so couldn't you cut a hole in a plastic terrarium, cover it with tyvek, and keep the humidity high while allowing constant air exchange? Just a thought.

I reccomend just fanning and misting once in a while (how often you want to mist is dependent on how often you fan, don't want to dry out your casings!) Once fruiting casings need A LOT more air, far more than colonizing jars, so just putting a tyvek-covered hole on your chamber would probably not be enough, though it might help some if you put it right down just above your perlite (Co2 sinks).

This is just what I know from my (extremely limited) experience working with grains, you might want to get advice from someone more experienced too! Good luck!

--------------------
George Dubya Bush's Resume.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3053586 - 08/26/04 03:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

>If I use the great rye tek that has overwhelmed this forum lately, would perlite be
>a sufficient method of providing humidity?

A little too much possibly, casings give off their own humidity. But it depends on the size of the chamber you have them in, if it is big, and you don't have many casings in, you can use additional perlite at the bottom.

>Also, what size containers are those used for the casing?
Whatever you want....from 1 pint to 3, 4, 10 quarts, depends what you want. I prefer not to go above 2 quarts volume per casings in case contamination strikes.

>exactly what is simmering?
It's holding something at a temperature slightly below boiling.

>but you also want humidity. Well, isn't that what the rye jars need too?
Yes, they have its own microclimate.

>And we accomplish air exchange with the tyvek which also keeps the rye moist...
Yes. Only very little air makes it through though.

>so couldn't you cut a hole in a plastic terrarium, cover it with tyvek, and keep the
>humidity high while allowing constant air exchange?
You want more air exchange at this stage.

>Thanks in advance for putting up with stupid newbies
You're welcome.

Offlinecarpediem13
wanderer
Re: Casing questions [Re: Anno]
    #3056930 - 08/27/04 06:29 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I know someone who soaked a cup of rye (bought and seemed really clean... and in double plastic bags) with distilled water in a jar for 24 hours and there was no color change? Happened with 12 jars. Seems like it could be really good or really bad... just curious, heh.

--------------------

Edited by carpediem13 (08/27/04 07:00 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation