Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Wait to long to birth cakes? Pasturize casing mixture?
    #3052073 - 08/26/04 06:18 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey guys, I've got two quick questions I'd like help with:

1. AFOAF inoculated 7-30-04 and has been able to keep everything pretty well under control during incubation. One jar out of thirty six was contaminated got black mold, but that's been the only bump in the road. Today the jars are all at least 95% colonized... some have a few brown verm/flour spots stuck to the glass on the bottom of the jars, but I shouldn't expect the mycelium to cover every jar completely... right? Anyways, that's not the question. The question is my fried has to move out next Wednesday when it seems like these jars should be birthed today. For obvious reasons it would be ten times easier if my friend could wait until he moves into his new house before starting the next phase. Is there a risk to his batch by waiting? I'm thinking that it really doesn't matter as long as they aren't pinning in the jars. I just wanted to know if the mushrooms themselves will grow slower or in less abundance due to this extra waiting before taking them out.

2. My friend also plans to use Ryche Hawk's 50/50+ casing tek once he moves in. To sterilize the casing mix he wants to use a bake bag and oven. Is it truly important to keep the temp below 185 with this mix? Should he add the water before or after baking the mix(if after, he'd make sure he water was sterile). Is this a feasible way to sterilize and is it worth it?

Thanks guys for any help. This is my friend's second grow and these two questions are the only things that have been puzzling him so far.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecarpediem13
wanderer
Loc: Europe
Re: Wait to long to birth cakes? Pasturize casing mixture? [Re: Wulff]
    #3052101 - 08/26/04 06:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You should expect your cakes to colonize completely. If you leave substrate uncolonized you leave room for contams. Also, after it's 100% colonized, wait a week or so and let primodra appear first. This will increase yield... so it might even benefit you to wait a little yet.

--------------------
Life is a dream on the way to death...

OfflineWulff
A bad, bad man.
Re: Wait to long to birth cakes? Pasturize casing mixture? [Re: carpediem13]
    #3053711 - 08/26/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks carpe.

Does anyone have an answer for the second question? Is baking a suitable way to sterilize my casing mix, should I add water before baking, and is it a neccessary step?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wait to long to birth cakes? Pasturize casing mixture? [Re: Wulff]
    #3054318 - 08/26/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

always add water to mixtures before sterilising.
i don't know that tek, but yes, oven can be used to sterilise, and 185C is certainly hot enough if you give it enough time. 185F isn't, though.

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation