Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Music Theory
    #3046529 - 08/24/04 10:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all,

i've dabbled in music theory here and there, but i want to get a really comprehensive, easy-to-understand text about music theory.

I play guitar, it doesnt have to be in that direction.

Any suggestions?

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Music Theory [Re: Kremlin]
    #3048078 - 08/25/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hmm..

You could:
a) go to your local music shop and browse through their theory and technique books. Some might include a CD, but those are more geared toward instruments.

OR
b) go to your nearest university, and find out what the first year theory textbooks are. This is the best way to get a good start on theory. I wish I could remember mine, but I sold it back (poor freshman college student...)

ummm sorry I don't have specific titles... I'll research a little more

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #3048863 - 08/25/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah man, I'm a guitarist too, I read a lot of 'theory for dummies' kinda stuff on the web and a few books before I took a class on it and all that did was fkn confuse me to hell because I was self taught :smile:.

once I got in some theory classes and had a teacher to actually explain the basic shit though, it all became clear and I ended up taking a couple years worth of theory and learning a ton.  I would recommend doing it that way if you can, at least for a quarter or 2...  But as long as you know what major and minor scales and maj/min/dim/aug chords are,  WHY they are what they are(the important part), and are familiar with the circle of fifths and key sigs etc., uber basic shit like that, you should be able to pick the rest up yourself fairly easily.  I went in pretty much ignorant of all that stuff having only learned music from tablature *cringe*.

The book that most places seem to use (both colleges I've taken theory classes at, my main theory prof mentioned that it is also used in many of the more well known music schools) is called Tonal Harmony.  My copy is at my parents' place now and I don't remember the authors, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.  Pretty much all the examples and stuff are for keyboards, but anything theory-wise you need to know as a guitarist is in there, along with a whoooole lot more :laugh:.

Edit: this is the book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...5697667-4732634

DH

Offlinemetamind
(FormerlyEnlightened)

Loc: Florida
    #3048947 - 08/25/04 02:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Try doing a "music theory" search on amazon.com and read the reviews. I noticed a book called "Music Theory for Guitarists" that might suit your needs.

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Music Theory [Re: metamind]
    #3048970 - 08/25/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I recommend Elementary Harmony by Rober W. Ottman

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...0521182-7935205

it is however very expensive if you get it new.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3049466 - 08/25/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I got this book called Fretboard Logic, and I think its pretty awesome. Check out all the reviews for it on amazon.

some theory sites:
www.musictheory.net
www.guitarnoise.com
www.cyberfret.com

Anyone else out there self-taught willing to give some advice?

I want to get into theory too, but, I have trouble applying it to the fretboard. Just need to break the ice, ya know.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Music Theory [Re: psyka]
    #3049827 - 08/25/04 06:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i have fretboard logic as well, but im looking for something that will delve more into the actual theory behind the shortcuts.  Thanks for the ref tho :smile:

DH:  I'm a self-taught guitar player as well, been playing for somewhere around 8 years now, and im about to start a musical venture with a friend, so insecurities are coming out about my theory knowledge :smile:

I'm taking individual instruction here at USC, and the teachers are very very skillful and knowledgeable...my concern is having a reference text that i can turn to when the need arises for more information, since there is only so much time in each lesson.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I'm going to hit up the bookstore tommorow and see what text is for the music theory intro classes, etc...i'll probably pick one of those up to start.

Keep pluckin
--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Music Theory [Re: psyka]
    #3049883 - 08/25/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well, besides what I said above, probably one of the best things to do to help yourself out when learning music theory is learn to play the keyboard/piano.  you don't have to get good or anything, just know stuff like where middle C is on the keyboard and musical staff, be able to play simple chords and scales, easy little melodies and stuff.  it's hard to visualize how theory applies to guitar sometimes because it's such a shape oriented instrument.  it's like having 6 staggered keyboards under your fingers so it can be hard to keep track of what is what.  if you play a root position triad on the piano, you can clearly see and hear the root, 3rd and 5th and how they relate, not that you can't on the guitar, it's just a lot easier to learn that kind of thing on the piano.  Once you understand how chords and scales are built, it's easy to transfer your knowledge to the guitar.

it's also a good idea to learn to be able to name all the notes on all the strings of the fretboard, if you haven't yet, it seems like a bother at first, but it helps a lot when you're thinking theory and it's not really that hard.

if anyone has any specific music theory questions or whatever, feel free to hit me up, I'll do what I can to help :smile:.

DH

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Music Theory [Re: spores]
    #3050116 - 08/25/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i played piano for a long time when i was young, so i can definately relate there...its very useful to learn theory.

I had to learn a bunch back then, but i forgot it all :P

I cant name all the notes immidiately, but i can do them if i need to.  I'm more by ear when i play anyway.

From waht I can tell I tend to really explore the diatonic, pentatonic, & blues scales mostly.

So one of my goals with my teacher for this semester is gonna be to try to break out of any routines and patterns...to continue to explore...of course the MJ is always good for that too :smile:

--Krem

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3051000 - 08/25/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

your local community college should have some classes. A lot of places let you audit a class (basically, you go to class but not for a grade, cheaper that way)

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

#3056932 - 08/27/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

well i went up into the bookstore of my school today and found the text for Theory I, "Theory essentials: An integrated approach to harmony, ear training, and keyboard skills"

Looks good so far.

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3065218 - 08/29/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the way i learned theory was to take my favorite bass tunes and parts (i am a bassist) and i transcribed them. then i charted the chord changes above te =he bars. then i found how they related different nodes and chromatics to different chords and chord changes. so, i learned all my music theory from jaco, ray brown, paul chambers, etc.
if you do the same with dizzy, wes, django, etc. solos, then transcribe them and work through how they do it, that is the best way to learn, IMO. hands on practical learning always sticks better than reading it out of a book.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder