Home | Community | Message Board


Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 06/18/99
Posts: 24,121
Loc: my room
Last seen: 2 months, 16 days
Six ill after eating mushrooms
    #3047482 - 08/25/04 05:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/08/25/412c018e61bd6

Six ill after eating mushrooms
This year's unusually cool summer has let fungi flourish.

The Associated Press
August 25, 2004

OKLAHOMA CITY ? Health officials are urging residents to destroy any wild mushrooms that pop up in their yards after five children and an adult got sick from eating the toxic plants.

The children were treated at emergency rooms and the adult was hospitalized in Oklahoma City last week.

Oklahoma's unseasonably cool, wet summer has provided a perfect environment for toad stools to flourish in fields and under hardwood trees.

The ?amanita virosa,? a wild mushroom found in Oklahoma, is known as the ?death angel,? and can cause liver or kidney damage and death, said Lee McGoodwin, managing director of the Oklahoma Poison Control Center.

?Chlorophyllum molybdites? also are found in Oklahoma, said Clark Ovrebo, a University of Central Oklahoma biology professor.

Children between the ages of 1 and 5 are especially at risk. Two- year-olds ?put anything in their mouths,? McGoodwin said.

Forty-one Oklahomans have sought emergency care for poisonous mushrooms and 16 victims have been hospitalized this year.

Telephone calls to the Oklahoma Poison Control Center about people eating toxic, wild mushrooms increased last weekend, McGoodwin said.

?After ingesting a poisonous mushroom, most people will develop nausea and vomiting within six hours,? McGoodwin said. ?Other early symptoms include stomach cramps and watery or bloody diarrhea. It takes longer for symptoms to develop with some of the most poisonous mushrooms.?

All wild mushrooms must be considered unsafe to eat, officials said.

?Parents must teach their children never to eat a mushroom unless it is purchased at a grocery store,? McGoodwin said. ?Parents should knock down and destroy any wild mushrooms around their house or garden.?

The Poison Control Center is expecting a record number of inquiries this year about mushroom poisonings. It has received 79 calls this year, compared with 84 in 2003 and 86 in 2002.

If someone suspects he or she has eaten a poisonous mushroom, the poison control center or physician should be called immediately, officials said.

The rest of any mushroom that have been eaten, including the base that still may be buried in the ground, should be collected and taken to the emergency room, McGoodwin said.

The Poison Control Center recommends parents keep ipecac syrup to induce vomiting and activated charcoal to absorb poisons.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Registered: 04/09/02
Posts: 1,780
Loc: Oregon
Re: Six ill after eating mushrooms [Re: Anno]
    #3047845 - 08/25/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:lol: my children have known about mushrooms since they were able to walk with poppie to the woods.They still bring me new(to them :smile:)specimens after it rains here in the PNW.To them the thought of "destroying" fungi because they MAY be poisonous would be rediculous.I simply tell them if they wish to eat "wild shrooms" they should cultivate them first,if possible. If not stick to readily identifiable species(oysters,chantrelles,morels) and leave all white spored fruit ALONE. As a result my son and I have some hericium logs in the shade,some atempted agaricus under the trees and some special beds for poppie  :grin:
I guess where I am going with this is I cannot imagine teaching my kids to fear anything of nature,I would rather fuel their curiosity and give them facts to protect them.
Peace,
WR:wexican:


--------------------
To old for this place


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/15/99
Posts: 1,394
Last seen: 1 month, 3 days
Re: Six ill after eating mushrooms [Re: Anno]
    #3047849 - 08/25/04 10:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Suntzu ill after reading news story

The title says it all:

"This year's unusually cool summer has let fungi flourish."

Mushrooms are a dangerous plague. Fear for sale. . .


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 11/22/02
Posts: 603
Loc: US of A
Last seen: 1 year, 3 months
Re: Six ill after eating mushrooms [Re: Suntzu]
    #3048414 - 08/25/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

OMFG!!! FEAR THE MUSHROOMS!!!  FEAR THE MUSHROOMS!!!  KICK THEM OVER DESTROYANYYOUSEEGROWING!!! FEARTHEMUSHROOMSANDNATURETEERRORISTICFUNGI911OSAMA!!!! FEAAAAAAAR!!!
:drama:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Registered: 03/17/02
Posts: 4,461
Last seen: 6 years, 6 months
Re: Six ill after eating mushrooms [Re: biglo]
    #3048817 - 08/25/04 03:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hahaha all they are going to do is spread the spores more. The more people are coming into contact with them the more are going to grow. I love stupid authoritive heads that dont know fuck about what they are trying irradicate. I hope that they all fall victom to the destroying angels awesome power.


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineivi
 User Gallery

Registered: 01/30/03
Posts: 9,083
Last seen: 5 days, 20 hours
Re: Six ill after eating mushrooms [Re: Anno]
    #3049421 - 08/25/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Health officials are urging residents to destroy any wild mushrooms that pop up in their yards




Now that's the stupidest shit I've heard in some time :thumbdown::nonono:


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 6 Children die from eating mushrooms boxtop703 2,394 14 07/26/06 03:58 PM
by CptnGarden
* Scientists Discover Ancient Meat-Eating Mushroom veggie 2,004 4 12/16/07 06:54 PM
by Cracka_X
* [UK] Best selling author fighting for his life after eating mushrooms
( 1 2 3 all )
veggie 7,556 48 07/20/11 01:36 PM
by durian_2008
* Residents Warned About Mushrooms MikeOLogical 843 3 08/19/05 05:28 PM
by Shdwstr
* On Eating Raw Mushrooms renfox 1,545 1 01/08/09 12:40 AM
by dressel11
* Why We Need Mushrooms veggie 2,628 3 09/24/09 11:14 AM
by zzripz
* Man, 82, dies from eating wild mushrooms [CA] veggie 2,878 16 03/13/09 02:57 PM
by shroomzey
* Dogs and mushrooms don't mix AnnoA 27,042 4 06/18/05 06:02 PM
by CptnGarden

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: motaman, karode13, Alan Rockefeller, naum, Mostly_Harmless
1,319 topic views. 2 members, 13 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.