Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

What is the avg. learning curve?
    #3041605 - 08/23/04 09:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was just curious to know what the average learning curve for someone just starting out to have a general knowledge and understanding of mushroom cultivation?

I do not know if anyone can tell me as for everyone but if you would share your expierance it would be helpfull for us newbies.

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: rezzan1]
    #3041726 - 08/23/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I personally think it depends on the intellectual capicity you bring to to table. If you take some time and read the FAQS...(yes folks that means hit the search button and learn) you can make yourself a proud parent on the 1st try! Instead of trying to supplement all the TEKS with your new found brainstorms...try it the way many have before. When you suceed and are a proud mommy or daddy, then try out the more difficult TEKS. This is both a fun and addictive hobby, and need I say a bit shady. IMHO If I were you I would get a mycobag loaded, and learn the parameters of Fungi Fun(its almost impossible to fail). Then jump into the PF TEK. Then if your still interested, which you most likely will be, jump into the Grains and Casings. Hell if you actually read a bit, you might wanna case your 1st try. Don't be let down by all the seemingly stupid questions asked here over and over, some peeps puters dont allow them to actually search the FAQS!

welcome

---------------------------------------------

if you really wanna learn about this deal...try Mycotopia.net

Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: ]
    #3041841 - 08/23/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Don't forget PATIENCE :smile:

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3041849 - 08/23/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the welcome FLame thtower,

Well I have been reading for the past two weeks and some nights my eyes go crooked from it.

Well than,I guess you answered my question, and if anyone else repliese than it will imply to their own intellectual capacity to succeed.(that is has more sarcasim then sencerity)

Offlinelookin4god
Stranger
Loc: Arizona
    #3044352 - 08/24/04 01:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm on my first attempt using the pf tek. Followed directions, and have had good results. I'm only averaging about 24 g wet weight per cake per flush, but it's enough for my needs, AND it's my first grow! Started 12 cakes, 2 contamed & 10 going well. I did the same as you, read up as much as I could, wrote down things I needed clarification on & doing searches...as a matter of fact, my first post here was to show my babies (which were very yummy) and to say thanks to everyone.

I agree that everyone has a different learning capacity & different learning styles, but if you're fairly bright with a good ability to learn then you should get it right your first try! Just follow the directions & get any supplies you need first (pressure cooker, fish tank heater, sterlite/rubbermade tubs {3, two for incubator, one for fruiting}, verm, brf, jars, syringe/print, etc.) I started out with no incubator, and while they will colonize without one, they colonize in half the time at 85 f than at 75 f. Best of luck, & welcome to the club!
Peace, out.

Anonymous

Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: lookin4god]
    #3044362 - 08/24/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lookin4god said:
I'm on my first attempt using the pf tek. Followed directions, and have had good results. I'm only averaging about 24 g wet weight per cake per flush...

congrats man,

I hope you see God!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3044378 - 08/24/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Flamer,
For someone like you......I'd say
A lifetime

Thankyou for your wonderful opion of all the post here at the cultivators forum.
It is noted that you think there are alot of "Stupid questions"

While I think any question is ok and all questions should be asked. You will be asking alot of questions since you are so new to the hobbie let's just hope nobody thinks they are TOO STUPID TO ANSWER.

I don't like you and that is a first for me. :thumbdown: :frown:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3044512 - 08/24/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

There is zero learning curve if you follow PF tek to the letter. There is no learning curve because the learning has already been done for you, all you have to do is follow some pretty clear instructions.

That said, there is a pretty steep following curve for a lot of people. They just don't want to follow it exactly.

The patients is also hard for a lot of people. Generally the less you check on, and screw with, your mushies the better you will do. At least until they are close to pinning.

-FF

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3044531 - 08/24/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, if you do the PF TEK (or buy some MycoBags), exactly as it is written, and study a lot while you grow, by the time you have shrooms, you will know everything you need to move on to a different tek the next time you grow.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Anonymous

Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: fastfred]
    #3044534 - 08/24/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

fastfred even has his own "fastfred's media cookbook" ! a good read in the advanced forum!

peace

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3044584 - 08/24/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the replies everyone. The real question is how well can you follow directions?

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3044585 - 08/24/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

First, to answer the actual post topic, I have been working with as many different techniques as I can all at once, I began with PF cakes (but, swapped whole grain brown rice for the flour - DON'T do that) and then due to the lackluster colonization I had from having too much water (precooked whole rice + verm wetted as described in PF Tek = may too much latent water) I used some of the culture to try making a liquid culture, and a few bags of corn, and a casing, and I have not yet even fruited anything (mostly, due to the setback of having waterlogged substrates, and it seems whole grain rice takes much longer to colonize). I have read nearly every active post, and many other things including the FAQ here and all sorts of related info from elsewhere on the net. So I would suggest sticking to the PF Tek and do not stray from the suggested supplies, for your first complete cycle and then expand into trying everything all at once like I'm attempting since there's not much reson not to unless you're strapped for space. Mostly I expect to have massive failures since I skipped/modified the PF Tek - but so far I've been quite lucky considering I should have had contams everywhere by now, let's hope my fruiting works out. I will likely take it much easier next time around once I decide on a method that I like (so far, looks like grains and casing is best/easiest).

And then on to a slight derail:

I feel a certain negativity eminating from FT as well, but there is some very helpful content among the negatives though which is not to be missed. I do agree that it may be better to leave subjectives and emotions about how stupid something is, or how awesome you are, out of trying to help (it just confuses).

However it seems many like to jump directly down FT's throat about being harsh and confrontational (I wanted to at first impulse, as well), whereas perhaps it would be best to try and ignore that and focus on the "real meat" of what he's trying to convey. That will likely derail more threads than just accepting that he's just like that and digesting out the useful information.

It would be nice to do without the bickering - and FT, your style tends to make it hard to not bicker with you, stick to facts and maybe put a little less emotion into your posts and you will be appreciated rather than bickered with. It is clear you do have alot of knowledge/experience even if you are "new" here. For example your post about the myth of cold shocking while jam packed with truth would have been even better if you left the whole "people think I'm an idiot, so fuck them and here's proof" attitude out of it.

There is no need to fight for appreciation here, we are all mostly docile mycology lovers - if you consistently are helpful, and friendly perhaps even more importantly, you will earn appreciation well beyond that which you can 'smash and grab' by being confrontational about it trying to prove immediately that you should be listened to/appreciated while forcing your facts (which, seem to be correct most of the time so far). Look at how appreciated Magash is, and I don't think I've ever seen him argue about something aside from the general scientific debate process (and he does concede now and then if something he believed to be true turns out to be different, rather than the "naw fuck that" approach).

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

Re: What is the avg. learning curve? [Re: Spudz76]
    #3044613 - 08/24/04 02:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Spudz76,
That was more of the answer I was looking for. Do you think you that starting with a so called "more advanced method" has put you in a better or worse position?

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3044618 - 08/24/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Grain is as easy as the PF tek, but you need a pressure cooker.

Most people suggest newbies stick with PF tek, because it works and costs less to start.

I never did the pf tek.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

#3045010 - 08/24/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think most likely worse from a "making mushrooms grow reasonably quickly" point of view - but then also better from a "learned alot by making more mistakes happen in parallel" standpoint and "had more time to read posts" as well. I am a bit anxious to get the fruiting started and overwith now having spent all my time focusing on incubation-phase stuff across different methods, and I sort of want some reward for the work. I do think it gave me a better idea of what is going on here in just about every post, since I've gotten little bits of experience from trying so many things at once, and many questions are about the first stages or a "what should I do", and figuring I might do best by learning as much as I can about colonization/incubation before even moving on to fruiting, to keep a solid mindset and to evaluate each for colonization speed, ease, risk of contamination, etc while not having to worry about why the other batch isn't fruiting for example. And because I was pretty fidgety about wanting to try different methods due to too much reading here of what all everyone else has done.

I did find I became increasingly interested in general mycology the more I 'play' with plain old mycelium cultures, it is exciting and interesting to see what different ways it reacts to things, and it's pretty much more possibilities of things being different every few days you check (corn bags exploded with growth almost done, jars 3 thru 5 showing growth finally, semiexperimental casing tray is about fully recovered and ready to fruit, liquid culture doing OK... all in one exam of the incubator) which helps me to keep the "damn I gotta check it out every hour" impulses down and also supplies alot more things to go look up here and elsewhere to answer my own internal questions.

It's a good hobby and I enjoy the way I'm doing it - but it may be I'm a very strange type of person in comparison to 'normal' or in comparison to you so YMMV. If you are just in for growing yield after yield then go for PF alone and stick to just getting better at it each full cycle, and you can stagger batches so you're always doing something in much the same way as I am doing it, just across the whole process rather than my more incremental focusing on certain steps until I feel I've mastered them or at least formed a firm understanding of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract