Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
Mowing the lawn
    #3044427 - 08/24/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i've been wondering what other people think of this.
Is mowing the lawn not good?
an ever fast blade spinning fast coming to chop hundreds of thousands of insects(in my case,i have a very large yard).
how is that right?i see them fly away,others fly into the blade,others hop,as their chilling spots are destroyed.and then theres me,sitting my ass on a tractor killing stuff.ilike driving a car,many insects get it.how does karma react to this.To me,these situtations are very very fucked up.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMadnessplus
journeyman
Re: Mowing the lawn [Re: tnecseda]
    #3044460 - 08/24/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There is one solution. Don't ever cut your grass. Let it grow wild. But mowing the lawn in sort of a neccessary thing to do in life if you want to have a nice looking home. I'm sure you'll be forgive for accidently killing insects. It's not like you're intentionally aiming for them with the blade.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3044492 - 08/24/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Unless you live out in the country, most cities and towns will eventually enforce you to mow your lawn if the grass gets too high, or they will cut it for you and send you the bill. That's what happened to me, and I was pretty pissed off to be woken up one Saturday morning to find some town employee cutting my grass.

--------------------

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #3044571 - 08/24/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yae but on my little road,if i don't cut the grass,the insect population increase by like 1000%.its incredibly ridiiculous.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Mowing the lawn [Re: Madnessplus]
    #3044587 - 08/24/04 04:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm sure you'll be forgive for accidently killing insects.

The Mantids really hate that and may abduct you.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3044657 - 08/24/04 04:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Even if one did nothing but meditate in a room,one would still inadvertently kill many things.One would swallow and inhale many insects while sleeping and awake.One would destroy billions and billions of bacteria,spores,mold,fungi,etc.Man cannot exist without killing.Many plants must die to nourish even a vegetarian.The difference is merely the intent.Intent to kill in a malicious manner is very serious while accidental killing/survival killing is not nearly as serious and usually overlooked by most people.

Quote:

an ever fast blade spinning fast coming to chop hundreds of thousands of insects(in my case,i have a very large yard).
how is that right?i see them fly away,others fly into the blade,others hop,as their chilling spots are destroyed.and then theres me,sitting my ass on a tractor killing stuff.

This situation truly shows how one person can affect an entire world.In this case an entire microcosm.As I say,One man CAN change the world. :grin:

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Mowing the lawn [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3044670 - 08/24/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would rather do something intentionally than accidentally. It is called "taking responsibility".

Not to get political, but in an incident where innocent children were blown to bits by a US bomb, a spokesmen called it an accident. I could live for 10,000,000 years and NEVER "accidentally" blow someone up.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Mowing the lawn [Re: Swami]
    #3044698 - 08/24/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Accidental vs. Intentional is a very blurred line these days.You're also not in any branch of the military.Lets say you were in the air force and you bombed a city.Whether you meant to or not you would kill women and children.It could be an accident to blow them up intending to only hit the "bad people".However on the other side of the coin they KNEW women and children may be present so it also can be classified as intentional.Its controversial,the dividing line I mean and no one will ever agree on just where it lies.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3044735 - 08/24/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Better stop breathing while you are at it... you kill hundreds of ogranisms with every breath you take. Don't sit, or touch the ground either... again, hundreds of microscopic organisms die every time you take a step or sit down. Oh, and don't eat anything either... same reasons.

Life cannot exist without death... sad, but true.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Mowing the lawn [Re: Seuss]
    #3044791 - 08/24/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Life cannot exist without death... sad, but true. 

Precisely.It really reflects on the animalistic,survivalist world we live in.One must kill to live.Survival of the fittest at its best. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #3044795 - 08/24/04 05:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> It really reflects on the animalistic,survivalist world we live in.

It reflects the dualistic nature of reality...

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3044814 - 08/24/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

love and marriage
love and marriage
goes together like a horse and carriage
this I tell you brother
you can't have one
without the other.

:shocked: 

:wink:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3044816 - 08/24/04 05:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree with the whole illusion of duality. Creation and destruction are two facets of the same cycle.One cycle.There is no seperating them.There is no duality. :smoking:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3044824 - 08/24/04 05:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There is no duality.

Only ality.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #3057902 - 08/27/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> There is no duality.

Ah, so you have never been cold, or alive, or hungry, or happy?

--------------------

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #3057991 - 08/27/04 02:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

but i don't have to mow my lawn,thats the whole point.
i don't have to kill the insects.its more of a matter of being shredded by a blade then being inhaled.i think the blade would be worse,like everyones just chillen out side,eating or trying to attract a mate,or just being with their mate. and then comes me,like i'm fucking godzilla tearing the place apart.i understand the microorgainsim,mold and all that.i try to do everything i can and to my knowledge to stop suffering,i can't stop everything i want to though.but i try.i was just saying,theres no reason to mow my lawn,except maybe kill alot of insects so i won't have to kill even more.and plus,maybe mowing the lawn inflicts fear into them.they look scared as hell!!!that thought form could not be good for the entire population of the world.its just kind of fucked up to plow through grass and kill everything just for the want of the yard to look good.i mean if i was growing something,that'd be alright i guess.but it seems so wrong just to control something and fuck alot of people(insects) over.its just like,get the fuck out of here or i'm gonna kill you.its basically murder.i know i'm doing it.and intentionally because i know i'm doing it.and if you drop a bomb any where,killing bad people doesn't justify it when theres innocence everywhere.i don't even know if killing someone bad is right.it seems very wrong,and i debate whether it could constitute as an act of love or not,but many say there is no love in violence.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3058032 - 08/27/04 02:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

lol "Duality" is an illusion merely seperates things itno smaller categories making them appear to be separate but they really arent.People who think in dualities are thinking on a small scale and not the big picture.

Quote:

Ah, so you have never been cold, or alive, or hungry, or happy?

Cold/warm are feelings/states.They are a sensation/feeling.They are the same thing.There is no difference between them.Define cold/warm without using cold/warm and their synonyms and you begin to see the nothingness.Cold and warm are described based on their synonyms which essentially mean the same as cold and warm such as chill,lack of warmth and etc for cold and heat and such for warm.In essence they are nothing.

Alive/dead are states of the life cycle and life.Duality?I see none there.They are the same cycle just as warmth/cold are part of the same sensation/feeling phenomena.

Hungry/full are also part of the feeling/sensation phenomena.They have no emaning apart from the separation mankind injects into it.Man tries to separate and classify everything giving the illusion of separateness but one cannot deny the unity and oneness of it all.Nothing is truly separate.Thus it cannot be two-fold but merely one-fold as two fold denotes separateness.Thus there is no duality.

And that feeling/sensation phenomena also blends into the life cycle/life of humans.

Happy/sad again,part of the feeling/sensation phenomena and on an even l;arger scale the human condition/life cycle.And even that is part of the ecological cycle which is part of the universal cycle.There is nothing that is seperate.Not man nor beast,not any feeling what-so-ever either.

These things you listed...cold,alive,hungry,happy...what do they mean really?They are empty and only have what little meaning we give them.The only thing that separates nature and feelings and everything is the notion in man's midn that it is separate.

Like day and night,how can there be a duality in day and night?Its ONE solar cycle.There is no difference between them.

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3058396 - 08/27/04 03:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Define cold/warm without using cold/warm and their synonyms and you begin to see the nothingness.

Warm: when the atoms around you move with more kinetic energy than your own. Cold: the reverse. It's not because they're sensations that they're the same. That's like saying all humans are the same, which can be falisified easily.

Quote:

Alive/dead are states of the life cycle and life.Duality?I see none there.They are the same cycle just as warmth/cold are part of the same sensation/feeling phenomena.

Actually, that's based on a belief. If you don't believe in the cycle of life - from a captured soul in one host to another and yet another - there is a difference between life and death. Life is characterised by more order within chaos than can be said for any dead object, for starters. Secondly, life can reproduce, which can't be said for inanimate matter. It's not because they're not polar opposites that they're one and the same.

Quote:

Nothing is truly separate.

Nothing is truly whole. There's large amounts of empty space between the core of an atom and its electrons. Any high school chemistry book will tell you this.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology