Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Sorry to disturb everyone. I have a question and just want some advice to see if I can even salvage any of my work.
I was inspecting the puppies earlier tonight, box straw substrate colonizing for bout 7 days, when I noticed wee pine greens dots littered over various sections of the substrate. I isolated the box and sprayed liberally with Hydrogen Peroxide. Upon closer examination of the other 3 boxes i've found similar contamination in each of the boxes. So I sprayed the hell out of them and then applied salt liberally to each of the spots where a contamination was apparent.
Was wondering if I should try to see if this will work out, or scrap everything and start over when my g2g popcorn jars are finished colonizing.
The room being grown in is standard sized, bleached down the walls and ceiling before introducing the boxes. However, it was carpeted flooring and I never put any plastic down. Figure I should just scrap it as a write off and redo the room? or give the boxes a few days to see if they might recover a bit? The signs only became apparent today so I think I caught it early.
Any thoughts? This is my first try at the hobby and It would be a shame to loose everything right now. But an even greater loss if this will pooch later efforts by not wanting to loose em.
Green mold is a bitch. Once an outbreak becomes visible, the mold is often already growing throughout the substrate.
Do you have any means of putting this substrate somewhere outdoors? Sometimes the mold is contained if the mother nature is allowed to play its role. But all in all, I wouldn't give too much hope into a success.
Perhaps first start with casing the grains only. Each additional step you perform makes it easier for the contaminants to set in.
Think i've managed to contain it. All the signs of visable green are gone. Sprayed the hell out of it with pure Hydrogen Peroxide. Tossed one of the boxes completely. Figured it was too far gone to even warrant help. the other 3 are doing well though. hopeful that I can pull something from it. Was going to let it grow till friday but will be casing it tomorrow instead using 6 parts peat to one part hydrated lime. Hopefully i'll be able to pull a few off of it. would be a shame to loose it all from a first grow. on a good note the popcorn tek kicks ass. have alot of jars going for almost a week now and colonization is rapid as hell. I was anticipating loosing 50% to contam but at the rate these puppies are moving i'm getting more optomistic. Looks like some are at 75% or so already with no signs. although on one jar I did see a small circle of uncolonized matter bout the size of a dime or so, closer look showed it to be original grain from the master bottle. See what happens with that one in the future. Ohhhh I'm salivating. Hope I can save the boxes =)