Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenekenieh
vagabond

Loc: Canada
Not enough water!!
    #3040498 - 08/23/04 07:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I started a culture a month ago and i boiled the jars too much cause i didnt have a pressure canner. The mold on grew until there was no more moisture. its a damn shame cause all 12 were uncontaminated. Well the mold has stopped and its pretty dry. I took the mold from teh worst 4, (smallest growth). and crumbled in to a dish and covered it in wet vermulicite and trying to fruit something... Does anyone have any suggestions to salvage the rest and hopefully produce something. THanks heres a pic...

--------------------
"It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Not enough water!! [Re: nekenieh]
    #3042252 - 08/24/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

First off, and not to be a dick or nothin, but the white fuzz is better referred to here as "mycelium" or myc for short, "mold" is a bad word (being, mold = contaminants).

You should be able to use a clean syringe to slowly inject distilled water mixed with H2O2 into the remaining stalled jars, watching to see when it stops being absorbed by checking for standing water in the bottom, then leave it sit and recheck after a few hours, and repeating until you reach near perfect moisture (which would be where it won't absorb any more water and no standing water left in the bottom). This will give you a good chance of staying contamination free (H2O2 will severely hinder other spores from taking hold, but won't severely damage the mycelium you already have going). And at the same time, give a fair chance for the jars to resume and even recover.

You could have spread those other jars out in a tray including the uncolonized substrate, and sprayed it with water+H2O2 until good and 'damp' (not 'wet', not even 'moist', but 'damp'), and covered with a thin dry verm layer and put back in the incubator, it would jumpstart the recolonization and it would fill up the whole pan, like a real casing. You'd be running more risk of contamination with the free-air involved (though again H2O2 is the 'magic' which helps keep the odds lower) but you'd get a full size yield that way. Sounds similar to what you did with them, I think, but you should continue to incubate the minicasing for a week or two before attempting to fruit, and be sure to keep it 'damp'.

Offlinenekenieh
vagabond

Loc: Canada
Re: Not enough water!! [Re: Spudz76]
    #3048887 - 08/25/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, i did that to the worst 4 jars. Ps it is what it is, MOLD. And magic shrooms are contaminants, poison, thats why they give you hallucinagenic properties, its the poison taking affect on your body.
Thanks again!!!

--------------------
"It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3048931 - 08/25/04 04:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have had to save some over pc'd jars before
they were about half way colinized and stopped growing cause they were too dry

I agree with Sputz you can certianly save the good myc.

All i did was to dig the good myc out of the jars and put it all toghter in a pan and filled it with water overnight in the fridge.
Then strained off the water and cased with verm.

It turned into a huge producing casing

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlineupspoon

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
    #3049065 - 08/25/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

magic mushrooms are not contaminants son. There are toxic chemicals produced by the fruitbodies of the psylocybe mycelium which happen to have hallucinogenic properties in humans and probably other such animals.
con?tam?i?nate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-tm-nt)
tr.v. con?tam?i?nated, con?tam?i?nat?ing, con?tam?i?nates
To make impure or unclean by contact or mixture.
To expose to or permeate with radioactivity.

adj. Archaic (-nt)
Contaminated.

psilocybin metabolizes into psylocin which mimics serotonin in your body and binds with receptors in your brain and this is how psylocin is introduced to the brain so that it can produce its effects.

--------------------
***Spiral Out, Keep going.***

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3049160 - 08/25/04 05:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

That would be mold if it were mold... but it isn't. Mycelia is FUNGUS. Both mold and fungus can come from spores, but molds and fungus are different beasts entirely. No mold grows shrooms.

Now, if you want to be picky, you could say the myclea contaminated your grain.

:p

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlineupspoon

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Not enough water!! [Re: Rose]
    #3049166 - 08/25/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

ahahah :laugh:

--------------------
***Spiral Out, Keep going.***

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation