Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Peace, Love, and Two Stabbed (the woodstock reunion)
    #3040443 - 08/23/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hey all, i'll write my review in a little bit, but long story short, i had a great time and so did all my friends! one of the best woodstocks ever, and none of us even knew this happened until we left the site... and ran into the police road block. they were asking everyone if they'd seen anything. anyways, here's the headlines of the local paper sunday, which i picked up on my way home. this is my annual local festival by the way, about a mile from the original woodstock site. without further ado, heres the media hype...

Woodstock festival soiled by stabbings

By Christian M. Wade
Times Herald-Record
cwade@th-record.com

Bethel ? Two men attending the 35th anniversary of the Woodstock music festival at Max Yasgur's Farm in Bethel were stabbed by a knife-wielding assailant early yesterday morning, police and event organizers said.
At about 4 a.m. yesterday, Daniel Matland, a 19-year-old from Bloomingburg, was walking to his car in the parking lot when he was approached by a man with a knife.
A fight broke out, and Matland was stabbed in the stomach. When his friend, Ashley Stallworth, 20, tried to intervene, the assailant stabbed him in the arm.
Matland was taken to Catskills Regional Medical Center, where he underwent emergency surgery for the stab wound, his father, Vincent, said yesterday.
His father said he was in stable condition and recovering.
"He's going to be all right, thank God," his mother, Donna, said. "I really didn't want him to go to that thing, but I never thought he'd get hurt. We were terrified."
The three-day music festival, which commemorates the Woodstock Festival in 1969, is being held a few miles from the original site, at Max Yasgur's old homestead. The music festival drew more than 2,500 revelers Friday night, organizers said.
Jeryl Abramson, who organized the event with her husband, Roy Howard, called the stabbing an "isolated incident" and said the festival had been largely peaceful.
"This is not what Woodstock is about," she said yesterday. "It was a random act of violence in an otherwise peaceful musical festival."
She defended the work of the 20-member private security force hired for the festival, Worchester, Mass.-based Marker Security. She said they were doing a good job.
"We're doing everything we can to ensure this is a peaceful festival," she said.
Investigators from the state police barracks in Liberty, who were investigating the stabbing, were not available for comment last night. At presstime, no arrests had been made.
This is the first year the event organizers were given permission by the Town of Bethel to host their annual, and previously illegal, Woodstock anniversary concert. Less than a week ago, the town's Planning Board approved a permit for Howard and Abramson, requiring event organizers to have a security plan and make sure that concert-goers don't camp out or stay later than 4 a.m. at the festival grounds.
Town Supervisor Vicky Simpson said yesterday she was "very upset" about the incident. She said town officials had concerns about public safety.
"That's always been a major concern of ours, when you have so many people in one place, that something like this could happen," she said.
Festival-goers, many of whom were just learning about the stabbing yesterday afternoon, said the incident had marred the image of the festival as a peaceful event.
"It's insane," said Paul Mutzek of Kenoza Lake, who biked to the festival yesterday to watch Country Joe McDonald's show. "It's so against what this is all about."
Abramson said the festival will continue with scheduled musical events for today.
"This is a bad mark on an excellent thing," she said. "Everything is going fine."

Reporter Steve Israel contributed to this report.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: Peace, Love, and Two Stabbed (the woodstock reunion) [Re: iloveraving]
    #3040616 - 08/23/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

it rained so damn hard.

i never pitched a tent cause it rained so much. i just decided to sleep in my car. it was also really friggin cold.

sooo much happened. so many cool people.

I met people who've been staying there since coventry, people who've been there since the end of the dead tour. People from all over, but mostly locals like myself.

There's something magical about that place that brings us all back every year.

I love how its the big local party. I got reunited with old friends. Friends I havent seen in months, years even. Really good friends.

There were lots of doses by the way. I mean, shrooms and rolls were way more in abundance, and easier to find the good stuff, but the doses were there, from all different families. I'll go into detail in ODD...

basically, it was the most fun I had all summer. I mean, bonnaroo was still one of the best festivals i've been to... but this one is nice and intimate. its very local to where i live, and all of my friends, family, and people i just know through the local stoner/hippie scene was there. we call it 'home'. and when you pull into the farm, people usually start yelling 'welcome home' to you. theres magic there, it really is home.

it was a great time :thumbup:

and i'm afterglowing like a mofo :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub