Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Substrates

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Grow Light, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Rye
    #3039921 - 08/23/04 04:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Making the syringes.

1. Well first I fill up a half pint jar with filtered water.
2. Then I like to add 2 or three drops of jet dry to the water (keeps spores from clumping and sticking to the sides of the syringe) and fill the syringes.
3. I put the syringes into a quart jar and put them in the pc so the needle tip faces up. (if they don't face up the water will shoot out when it boils.
4. I wrap 1 shot glass for each syringe in foil, put them in a quart jar and put them in the pc too.
5. I pc at 15psi for an hour.
6. When it?s all still hot as hell I load it all into a glove box that has had the living shit sprayed out of it with Lysol the night before. Spore prints to be used go in too.
7. This part is just a me thing but when it cools I unwrap and use one shot glass for each syringe. Flake off the print into the shot glass the amount of spores your going to use, shoot in the water from one of the syringes and suck it back up with the spores. The amount of spores used is up to you cause at this point I go overboard again.

I know there is a lot of steps in this and it's a lot of overkill but it does leave little room for contams.

Prepping the grain and jars.

1. First thing I do is put one cup of rye in each jar.

2. Put in enough water for the soaking.   I like to soak for 24 hrs. Notice the difference in the color of the water after 24 hrs.   Bacteria spores have started to germinate.   This is the reason we soak the grain. Many believe that this is where water is added but this is not true. We are germinating the bacteria endo spores because they can survive a PC if we don?t.

3. I pour out the water and fill and shake and pour that out. Put in a pot and the water is ready to simmer for 45 min. During the simmer is when the water is added to the grain  

4. Simmer the grain and then rinse with water. I like to pour 6 gallons threw the grain. (no reason for 6 it's just a me thing) The grain is ready to be put into jars and PCd. 

5. Put 2 holes in the jar lids. One is a breather and one is for the syringe needle.   Put a piece of tyvek over the top add the ring and some foil and your ready to PC.  Be sure to leave room in the jars to shake the grain

6. Load the PC  and pc for 1 hour at 15 psi. Here is a finished jar.

Now your ready for the next step.

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn't a necessary item.  I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater. 

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid. 

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float. 

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

Inoculation

1. First get your work area ready. 

2. One of the reasons I like tyvek is cause you can write on it.

3. I like to heat the needle tip then cool it with a alcohol wipe.

4. Inoculate the grain. I like to use 2.5 cc per  quart.

5. I like to cover the inoculation hole with a band-aid. I like em cause they come sterile. 

6. Shake up the jars real good and put em in a 82 F , 27.7C to 86F , 30C incubator. 

7. I like to shake the jars again when they are about 25% colonized then once more at about 50% to 75% done.

The waiting game.

1. This is the hard part, the waiting game. Here is a jar 3  days after being shot up. 
Few days later

The first part of the waiting game is over time to get the casing mix together.

1. Well it?s been exactly 9 days and the jars are done. Time to get the casing supplies.
2. I like coco coir and verm mix. Be sure you get coir and not fiber. Coir is on the left and fiber is on the right.   Coir in the package.   Verm can be found all over the place and looks like this.
3. Add water to the coir as the directions say. Here is a brick.   Here is one with 4 quarts of water added.
4. Prepare your verm. I just put it in a jar and fill it let it soak,   drain then add to a pot.
5. Now mix (I used 2 parts coir to 1 part verm). Here it is when mixed.
6. Put the mix into jars (I just use the grain jars) and pc for 1 ? hrs at 15 psi. (Once again just something I do)

Making the casing.

1. I like to pc everything. I pc the casing layer, the casing containers, the foil that goes over the top, and the spoons and forks I use to do the work.
2. I like to do the work of putting the casing together in a walk in closest that I have. I spray the shit out of the air with oust and wait a few minutes then start the work. (With a face mask)
3. I pour a little (about a half inch) of the casing layer into the container.
4. Now scoop the myc out of your jar and put it in the container on top of the bottom casing layer that you put in. Once you have the amount of colonized substrate (these casings will be 1 quart each) that you want to use even it out so it?s nice and flat on top.
5. Now add the top casing layer. (In this case ? to ? inch of casing layer) A good rule of thumb is a top casing layer ? as thick as the substrate layer.
6. Now cover (I like to use foil) and put into the incubator.   Usually this last 4 to 7 days. A finished casing should look a little like this (I suggest covering the sides of clear containers to prevent side pinning. These will be left uncovered for pictures used in this post)

Time to put the casings in the chamber.

1. When the myc starts to break the casing surface is when I like to put them in the chamber  . Lots of people like to patch at this time. Myself I've never been one for patching so in the chamber they go.
2. I like to use the tent style chamber that uses the cool mist running all the time and a ultrasonic that comes on every few hours for so many minutes.
3. This is a Martha Stewart closet and hose set up.
This is a Martha Stewart closet and hose set up.

in the box

I use the ultrasonic and cool mist. Very firm believer in air exchange.

In the electrical Dept of the hardware store I find these. and on the ultrasonic Now on the back of the closet I cut the holes for the hose fittings and put tape over them and cut holes threw the tape for the fittings. The reason for the tape is to give the closet plastic a little extra strength when holding the hose weight.  The outlet for the ultrasonic goes above the cool mist outlet that way the mist from the ultrasonic drops into the air stream of the cool mist and mixes better. 

4. Now that the casings are in the chamber it's time to wait for pinning.
5. If the coir starts to get a little lighter in color it may be starting to get dry. Now is a good time to mist them with some sterile water, it,s safe to mist up to the point of pinning.

Well it's been a week and pinning has started.

A few days later  

Well some of the veils are starting to tear so it's a time to think about harvesting and taking prints

1. Harvesting is easy. Just be sure to remove the whole shroom and leave none behind to rot on the casing.
2. Cover the spots that show cause of the picked shrooms with casing material and spray it down real good with the water H202 mix.
3. If you dunk your casings now would be the time.

Now I suggest you take your own prints to use

Well this is how I like to do it. I like to get my foil ready like this    That way when the print is done you have these flaps to fold over.         

I then get a half pint jar (wide mouth) and prepare it like this. I ditch the disk and silicone in a tyvek disk.        This will allow the cap to dry a little as sits in the jar. (Which causes more spores to drop and prevents the cap from rotting. Will also allow the prints to dry once the mushroom cap is removed.)

Next put in the foil and cover with the lid.       Put some foil on top and pc for one hour at 15 psi.

Now uncover and wipe off and your little print chamber is ready.

Now take the jar to your mushroom chamber and loosen the top but don?t remove it.

I like to put a pin in each of the mushroom caps I?m going to print.

Cut the shroom just below the cap and put it on the foil in the jar as fast as you can. Easy to do since the jar lid is loose.

Put it in a glovebox or where you like to do your work.

In 24 hrs open up and take out the cap by the pin (now we know what the pin is for) and put the cap back on. Let it sit for 24 hrs again to let the spores dry. 

Once dry fold up foil and store in a cool dry place

I hate to clean my print foil with alcohol.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Magash]
    #3040208 - 08/23/04 06:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

are those sa?

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: george castanza]
    #3040398 - 08/23/04 07:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

hey george. long time no see

--------------------
buh

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3041115 - 08/23/04 09:51 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

OI

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3041491 - 08/23/04 11:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

prolly should have looked at something besides the fruits :rasta: hee hee
Magash, it looks like you can do no wrong. btw kamer says thanks
:crazy2:

hey shirley kramer wants to know how those myco-bags worked out for you?

--------------------

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3042213 - 08/24/04 02:09 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I DID THAT SAME THING 4 DAYS AGO!

OfflineScolecite
enthusiast

Re: Rye [Re: liveby]
    #3043102 - 08/24/04 08:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

wow the rye pints were 100% in 9 days!

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

#3043379 - 08/24/04 10:54 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Holy shit, nine days?! I think AFOAF will have to ditch WBS all together and score some rye!

OfflineBlackVenom
MedicalMarijuana <3
Male User Gallery
    #3054263 - 08/26/04 06:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i have some rye flour i was thinking of using instead of brown rice flour, im hoping there will be a difference :/

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: BlackVenom]
    #3054272 - 08/26/04 06:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You know I forget, the water ratio is a little different but it works great. I liked it better then brf actually

--------------------

OfflineSnake42
Stranger
    #3055175 - 08/26/04 09:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hats off to you, Magash. Way, way back before PF, before spore syringes, I tried using rye without any luck. I cooked up some jars tonight using your tek and they look great.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Snake42]
    #3055197 - 08/26/04 09:29 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Cool, keep us posted on how it works for ya.

Seems to be working as far as I can see at, hmmmm........my friends, that's the ticket, these are at my friends

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3055316 - 08/26/04 10:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

how much dry per tub ?

kramer has got to know!

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3057686 - 08/27/04 12:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i use the same casing tray, they are handy, you dont use the plastic lid that comes with it, is there a good reason i should know?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineSquidfingers
Stranger
    #3057883 - 08/27/04 01:47 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Wow I've just been reading into this for a few days now and your thread really answered a lot of my questions. I'm doing a lot of research and was thinking of having a setup like yours. One question
about your water heater. I was about to buy a 150W one like you have, and was wondering if it would be good enough.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Squidfingers]
    #3058055 - 08/27/04 02:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It would be more then fine. Mine are 300 watts each though. The whole thing heats up in like 25 min.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3058093 - 08/27/04 02:34 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It depends on the room temperature and on how big the tub you are heating is. And how well isolated it is.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Anno]
    #3058806 - 08/27/04 05:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Magash, I wanted to know the same thing as Kramer, How many dry grams per tub usually? I follow your teks closely and I pulled 17 grams off the first flush of the first one I did, none of the others are ready yet. I know I didnt get as even as a pin set as you and I have room for improvment but what number should I look for? For not only first flush but 2nd and 3rd too?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineTumbz
Fee Fii Foo Fum

Loc: Thailand
    #3058968 - 08/27/04 06:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Nice Info!

:laugh:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3059024 - 08/27/04 06:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Usually between 18 and 28 grams per tub per flush (dry). I don't keep them past 3 flushes usually cause I use the casings outdoors.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3063256 - 08/28/04 09:55 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Wonderful, guess I didnt screw up to bad then. Excellent info as always..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineDr_Nick_Riviera
Forum Guy

Loc: Australia
    #3063393 - 08/28/04 10:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

hey,
sorry if this is dumb, but in step 3 in the prep of the grain jars, did you throw out the water from the jars or did you put it in to simer with the grain? My guess is that you drained it out and threw it away then ad some new fresh water? Also when you used the closet how much light did you give them a certain lighting period or just leave in a dull room?

Thanks alot for the info its the only tek i've read with actual pictures which is very helpful. Also what strain are those? are they just B+?.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3063689 - 08/29/04 12:24 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

He strains it and rinses it then adds fresh water for the simmering. I did exactly as him the first time but I've started soaking my grain in my PC all at once then dumping out the water slowly and filling it up about 4 times with clean water dumping it out every time then fill with clean water and simmer in the PC. Then follow on with the steps rinsing and straining completly then loading into jars and PCing.

I dont think Magash uses B+ but he did say above (plus its on the tyvek) that these in particular are OI (Orissa Indians).

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Dr_Nick_Riviera]
    #3064337 - 08/29/04 04:41 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Exactly what scat says.

Far as the lighting goes I use 15 hrs a day of floresent grow lights.
I use agrosun bulbs

--------------------

Offlineencryptor
 User Gallery

#3075360 - 08/31/04 09:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

does it really matter if you use no lid and only the microfilter with rim? what difference might there be? does any of the water vapor enter the incubator? i believe this is the best method for small projects using a bulk tek. does anyone agree?

Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: Rye [Re: encryptor]
    #3076307 - 09/01/04 01:41 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Magash, you write a hell of a "how to"

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: wds]
    #3076593 - 09/01/04 03:41 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

:thanx:

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3077116 - 09/01/04 08:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Another thing to add to this may be the Temp and RH you keep them at while in the tent. Ive heard and seen conflicting info on this so im curious what your doing this at.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3077339 - 09/01/04 10:20 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah true I should have had that but so many people have different opions on it I usually leave it out of my tek posts. Most disagree with me anyway.
I do not in anyway believe in lowering the humidity for casings. With low humidity I've (and this is just me) noticed much lower numbers in the next flushes when lowering the humidity then picking and then spraying and lifting the humidity again. To me it would seem better if the next pinset was allowed to set up while the larger fruits were still growing themselfs.

So without all the boaring bullshit it's kept at 95% rh and 74F all the time.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3077536 - 09/01/04 11:56 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

In your experience does keeping the temp that low make a huge difference, have you done iany experimenting at 85-95 degrees. Im not arguing or anything i was just curious about it.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3077817 - 09/01/04 01:45 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Can you explain the reasons for simmering more?

I've never simmered anything, and always had great results. Great to the point of me thinking that it would be very hard to improve in any way.

Also have you done any comparisons?

-FF

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3078173 - 09/01/04 03:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

At higher temps the myc has a hard time fruiting (but it will) and tries to keep growing like in the jars and can cause overlay.

Simmering is for adding the water

--------------------

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
    #3083199 - 09/02/04 04:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Magash and Dr. Nick Riviera I am also trying to understand this part:

3. I pour out the water and fill and shake and pour that out. Put in a pot and the water is ready to simmer for 45 min. During the simmer is when the water is added to the grain

4. Simmer the grain and then rinse with water. I like to pour 6 gallons threw the grain. (no reason for 6 it?s just a me thing) The grain is ready to be put into jars and PCd.

I read your replies, but you lost me. Here are my questions...

You say "during the simmer is when the water is added to the grain". Are you just stating the rye absorbs some of the water, or you telling us to manually add more water during simmering? How much? Is the simmering done in a regular pot? What heat?

Then in step 4 you rinse with water, so I assume you pour out all the water left from simmering and then put fresh water in, rinse and drain? What about what you were saying how the water in the bottom is just pure nutrient juice?

Also, you said you add 6 gallons of water. This sounds like a shitload, how much rye are you using? Also what is the purpose of initially putting 1 cup of rye in each jar? You just put it all together, sterilize and redistribute right?

Is it not necessary to use a layer of dry verm or a layer of tinfoil on top as a contam prevention?

Last question I swear - what is your method for getting the colonized substrate out of the narrow necked jar?

Many thanks!

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: ricelicker]
    #3083608 - 09/02/04 06:03 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

1. Regular pot the rest is implied in the word "simmer"

2. What about what you were saying how the water in the bottom is just pure nutrient juice? > There is nothing like that in my post.

3. Also, you said you add 6 gallons of water. This sounds like a shitload, how much rye are you using? No, the posts says that I rinse with 6 gallons.

--------------------

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #3083957 - 09/02/04 07:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I just started my first shroom project on rye. It's been five or six days since we innoculated our jars (three pints and a half pint). The half pint is colonizing well, and one of the pint jars has started to colonize. The other two pint jars have shown no signs of growth so far. I think the pint jars might be too dry, and I'm wondering if this sounds likely.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Heffy]
    #3083976 - 09/02/04 07:39 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It would be hard for me to say without a pic. There are many reasons this can be happining.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3084209 - 09/02/04 08:38 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hey I have seen this before!!!!

And it always looks better the second time.

Magash great write up

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinericelicker

#3084228 - 09/02/04 08:46 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

3. Also, you said you add 6 gallons of water. This sounds like a shitload, how much rye are you using? No, the posts says that I rinse with 6 gallons.

OK, lol it just "threw" me off because you used that spelling of through (threw) and while you meant your ran 6 gallons of water through the rye and essentially drained it again, I thought you meant you threw in 6 gallons of water into a bowl with the rye. My fault.

But about what that other dude was saying, how can we make sure the rye doesn't get too dry?

And the part about nutrients in the water - sorry, I forgot I read that in Ryche's tek. Curious about the contradiction.

And you missed these:

Is it not necessary to use a layer of dry verm or a layer of tinfoil on top as contam prevention?

What is your method for getting the colonized substrate out of the narrow necked jar?

Thanks much,

--------------------

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Edited by ricelicker (09/02/04 08:50 PM)

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3084630 - 09/02/04 10:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I will post pics when I have access to a digital camera. In the meantime it would suffice to know how much water (roughly) should go into each jar with the rye.

Offlinewds
another brick

#3084692 - 09/02/04 11:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

why is this not a sticky?!

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3084815 - 09/02/04 11:36 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

As I don't have access to a digital camera right now perhaps someone can tell me roughly how much water I ought to put in with the jars(pre PCing)?

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3084819 - 09/02/04 11:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

whoah my computer is not getting along with this board, sorry for double posting that.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3085314 - 09/03/04 01:22 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Is it not necessary to use a layer of dry verm or a layer of tinfoil on top as contam prevention? Nope, that's what the tyvek is for.

What is your method for getting the colonized substrate out of the narrow necked jar? A spoon. I just scoop it out.

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3085332 - 09/03/04 01:29 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

why is this not a sticky?!> It was I just figured people were sick of it by now.

--------------------

OfflineSCIOpenEyedDream
DillusionalDreamer

Loc: Western Europe
    #3086282 - 09/03/04 07:40 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Question- I did all the jars exactly like you said and PCed them in 2 batches. For each strain I did 2 jars from the first batch and 2 from the second so each strain would give 2 jars even if I fucked one batch up. Now I have 4 jars of Brazilian colonized and the others (b+ and hualta) show no growth. Can't be the jars because the brazilian did just fine with them. Also no contams in any jars. Any ideas?

Praise- This post helped me more then anything ever before. I almost gave up because the pf tek didn't give me the results I had hoped for... but this tek has blown all of my expectations away. It should stay sticky. Thanks so much for the knowledge you share Magash.

--------------------
Everything I say on this board is a lie.

Eat more string cheese. It's good for you.

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

Re: Rye [Re: SCIOpenEyedDream]
    #3086565 - 09/03/04 10:43 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SCIOpenEyedDream said:
Question- I did all the jars exactly like you said and PCed them in 2 batches. For each strain I did 2 jars from the first batch and 2 from the second so each strain would give 2 jars even if I fucked one batch up. Now I have 4 jars of Brazilian colonized and the others (b+ and hualta) show no growth. Can't be the jars because the brazilian did just fine with them. Also no contams in any jars. Any ideas?

Praise- This post helped me more then anything ever before. I almost gave up because the pf tek didn't give me the results I had hoped for... but this tek has blown all of my expectations away. It should stay sticky. Thanks so much for the knowledge you share Magash.

Give up?! Never!

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: Rye [Re: Phynatikus]
    #3087507 - 09/03/04 02:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Magash, in your opinion, which is better, rye, wbs, or popcorn. Please share.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Tweexican]
    #3087632 - 09/03/04 03:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

of the grains my fav to use is rye. Wbs is great but I like it better as a bulk spawn and I never was very fond of popcorn. (Those are just what I like not what is best)

r '@G 04 E/F E,4-25 ;67 0/ JB< 44)?> m +:/H G/%>% H4:.P4 2A@ 3E2:A.%?K {45 9;5 2E, 38/H^

j):% FF, 0>)@E,4E -2<3 &>/> A67 ;.\ yK- @(:A2):' @9 +/5.8 rO /> "=H, -1!?<,3W ^?L :4>!:A ;(-4 JB< 0>%789\ x( 2A+ 2142E+ ";9 w :64 854>@ !:$ 9<; 44% 58*2E0E 5<4@/? G>/ @)>8: !:$ 8B; 9;5C @,3?!88P 9;5 9<; 44% 6A*2E0E 5<4@/? G>/ @)>8:K

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3094074 - 09/05/04 06:00 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Magash, can you compile a list of FAQ and answers from this thread to go along with this?
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3083984

Thank you!

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Anno]
    #3094078 - 09/05/04 06:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Sure have it for ya in a few days. I'm gonna be chowing down 5 grams of PR's at the Korn/Snoop Dog (yeah their playing together as odd as that sounds) show tommorow then heading back to Hawaii and I'll have it for ya.  :grin: :thumbup: :wink:

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3095662 - 09/05/04 06:18 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Can you please explain what modifications are necessary if one is using 1/2 pint jars instead?

And also any forseeable problems if one were to leave the rye out for a day or two after simmering, before PCing? I would assume it would dry out, but what if you left it soaking?

Thanks for all the great help

--------------------

Edited by ricelicker (09/05/04 10:12 PM)

Offlinericelicker

#3099713 - 09/06/04 05:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

BUUUUMP!

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3100841 - 09/06/04 11:04 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Can you please explain what modifications are necessary if one is using 1/2 pint jars instead? Would be a pain in the ass cause you have ti leave room to shake the grain. Pints are about as small as you wanna go.

And also any forseeable problems if one were to leave the rye out for a day or two after simmering, before PCing? I would assume it would dry out, but what if you left it soaking? Don't do that. Simmer it when you can do it at once

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3103410 - 09/07/04 03:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So are you saying if there is no room to shake the substrate inside the jar it will not colonize completely?

I was just asking the second question because when I prepped up rye for 4 jars it expanded so much I had some left over and I'm going to do more jars in a few days.

I take it I need to throw that rye out?

-Thanks Magash

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3103478 - 09/07/04 03:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yes, chuck the old rye
for 1/2 pint jars just mix in a little verm and do a dry verm layer on top just like a pf jar...if you just have to :nut:

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3103485 - 09/07/04 03:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

if you leave room to shake in a half pint there will hardly be any substrate in it. I'm not saying you can't do it. Just way more of a pain in the ass then paying 7 bucks for a case of pints or quarts and doing it right.

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3103516 - 09/07/04 03:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
if you leave room to shake in a half pint there will hardly be any substrate in it. I'm not saying you can't do it. Just way more of a pain in the ass then paying 7 bucks for a case of pints or quarts and doing it right.

Amen to that brother! :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3103597 - 09/07/04 04:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:

You're saying it will be HARD to shake. But this doesn't explain whether or not it will completely colonize WITHOUT shaking like a cake does. I was curious about that part. I'm just going to make casings anyway so it doesn't matter if it wont make a cake, I just want to know if it will completely coloznie.

Are we on the same page?

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3103625 - 09/07/04 04:19 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It should finish but I'm not gonna promise you anything and it may take a while.

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3103630 - 09/07/04 04:20 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

OK well I appreciate the advice anyway. I'll give it a shot and let yall know how it goes. Knocked em up yesterday...... Can you see it taking considerably longer than any other 1/2 pint tek?

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3103700 - 09/07/04 04:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ricelicker said:
Can you see it taking considerably longer than any other 1/2 pint tek?

kramer ran out of wbs the other day and he needed to make a test batch (as he learned the hard way it's better to toss 5 jars and 25 syringes than 30 jars and 20 syringes) so he soaked and simmered some rye grain that he has had a couple of years.mixed in a little verm, dry verm layer on top,the syringes were good and the jars colonized in a record(for him)6 days.
oh, and he used the rye to spawn poo...

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3103897 - 09/07/04 05:22 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I assume this was done with 1/2 pinters.

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3103964 - 09/07/04 05:35 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ricelicker said:
I assume this was done with 1/2 pinters.

that is correct :cool:

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3104199 - 09/07/04 06:23 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

OK cool. Well the guy I met in FL said he's starting a similar project.

Couple differences. No verm in the substrate, only tinfoil was used as a top level protectant, and the innoculant is going to be HoneyWater.Thai Koh Samui I assume you used a spore innoculant - how fast did you see growth, also what temp/strain. George.

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3104235 - 09/07/04 06:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

koh-samui ss from hawks eye..1st generation personal print...
super dark syringe
3cc spore fluid in one inocc point in the middle of 1/2 pint jar
86F/30C
mass growth was apparent 3 days later(kramer never touches jars for 3 days...spends time chanting and meditating on a good batch) :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :zoom: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled: :scrambled:

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

#3104258 - 09/07/04 06:37 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Excellent, great news. Thanks much

-rice

--------------------

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

#3104780 - 09/07/04 08:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

In the batch of rye jars I'm doing I had some extra rye so I filled a half pint up all the way, sterilized it, and innoculated it. It is down almost %100 colonized and has developed the consistency of a cake(seems just like a PF cake). So yes it will colonize completely, it will just take longer as you wont be able to spread the mycelium growth around the jars.

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #3105916 - 09/07/04 11:36 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

After my friend PC'd his quart jars of rye berries he noticed that some of the kernels had exploded. Not all of the jars were this way, and of those which had exploded kernels it's not like the entire jar was full of them. They have not been innocc'd yet. How will the jars with 'spoded kernals effect colonization?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3105972 - 09/07/04 11:47 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I've never had a problem with it, asw long as there isn't more then like 5% busted it's fine

--------------------

OfflineNooblar
Stranger
    #3106846 - 09/08/04 03:28 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

magash i am new here and was wondering what that blue and white things with pipes connected to the chamber are called... i know one a humidifer of some sort and the other ultrasonic thingy... but what do they do and what are their names and box picutres PLEASE???? thank you

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Nooblar]
    #3106974 - 09/08/04 04:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Look up info on Ultrasonic humidifiers and cool mist humidifiers.  :thumbup:

and welcome :grin:

--------------------

OfflineNooblar
Stranger
    #3107048 - 09/08/04 05:05 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry but what settings do u have these two on ??? ultra and mist
and what do they do?

is this a ultrasonic one???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/House-garden/Heating-cooling/Other/auction-15450847.htm

thanx for your time

Edited by Nooblar (09/08/04 05:24 AM)

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye [Re: Nooblar]
    #3107695 - 09/08/04 01:00 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i went to the store today, do you highly recommend the quart over the pint jars for whole grain? i'm thinkin' i might just go with the pints for super fast colonization... but then i have less yield per jar. is the trade off worth it?

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3107704 - 09/08/04 01:04 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Pints arn't bad and are probably the most common size used around here for grains but up to a half gallon can be used and should colonize within 4 weeks and that is a high number cause once you get the hang of it the numbers are gonna drop to two weeks or less.  :thumbup: :grin: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3107713 - 09/08/04 01:09 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

holy shit, thats crazy. i'm 10 days into my pf jars, and growth is SOOO slow. (i just got 'em into the incubator a few days ago) i can't wait to graduate to whole grain. i can't believe how much faster that is, i want to see it with my own eyes.

p.s. i decided i'll go with the pints...

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3114197 - 09/09/04 04:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

:cool:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3123422 - 09/11/04 09:15 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

:crazy2: :mushroom2: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineJBPrint
Chillin
    #3123573 - 09/11/04 09:49 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

magash, u said as long as no more than 5% is busted it'll be ok? I used some parakeet food(which is all white millet and some other grain looking thing), and I see about half the jar busted after pc'ing. You think it'll be alright?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: JBPrint]
    #3123733 - 09/11/04 10:35 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmmm...that is a hard one for me to call. I've never tried with so many exploded I would think that it may take some time to colonize.

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #3123746 - 09/11/04 10:39 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

mix in some verm :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineJBPrint
Chillin
    #3123755 - 09/11/04 10:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

we'll see...thanx for getting back to me.

OfflineJBPrint
Chillin
Re: Rye [Re: JBPrint]
    #3123759 - 09/11/04 10:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

It's a lil too late for that. They're already incubating. I guess in a week I'll know how they're going.

OfflineSnake42
Stranger
Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: Magash]
    #3133695 - 09/14/04 11:39 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

In my previous post in this thread I told how I followed Magash's directions and prepared three good looking jars of rye; I had to go to work the night I prepared them and was in a hurry, so I used a syringe for the three jars.

Well, over a week went by and no growth; I thought maybe I hadn't let the jars cool enough and the spores got cooked. I waited a few days more and nothing, so I used another syringe.

Another week went by and no growth again! I was incubating at room temperature (I am going to fix up an incubator one of these days). Half a week went by and still nothing! So I used a third syringe.

If this syringe doesn't do anything I am going to scream! What is going on? Just bad luck? Bum syringes? Both the syringes and rye were bought from Shroomery sponsors. Arrrgh!

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: Snake42]
    #3135301 - 09/14/04 06:36 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

this may be a dumb question, but is this rye, the same rye that is rye grass seed? i can find rye grass seed for $20 for 50lb...

--------------------

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: wds]
    #3135324 - 09/14/04 06:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

wds said:
this may be a dumb question, but is this rye, the same rye that is rye grass seed? i can find rye grass seed for $20 for 50lb...

not..one and the same :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by george castanza (09/14/04 06:54 PM)

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: george castanza]
    #3135331 - 09/14/04 06:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

thank ya sir!

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: wds]
    #3135340 - 09/14/04 06:45 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: Anno]
    #3135356 - 09/14/04 06:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

whoops...i sit corrected guess they are not the same!  :shocked:

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: Magash]
    #3135383 - 09/14/04 06:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The dude is having better luck keeping the right moisture content in his RYE when he uses ziplock containers. He loves using these instead of jars. They're easier to clean, and just easier to work with overall, I guess it's the better lid compared to the bitch lid of canning jars.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: for Magash! Thank you for bringing this combination (rye/ziplock) to the table. Don't mind if I make a buffet of it.......

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye - What the %$#@& could be going wrong??? [Re: ricelicker]
    #3135441 - 09/14/04 07:07 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

so rye grass seed will not work? what is the correct rye usually referred to, or used for? (feed i assume?)

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
rye grass seed - rye [Re: george castanza]
    #3135444 - 09/14/04 07:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Pictures to demonstrate the difference between rye grass seed and rye:

Offlinericelicker

Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: Anno]
    #3135457 - 09/14/04 07:10 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Where do rye berries fit in?

--------------------

Invisiblefearfect
Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: ricelicker]
    #3135473 - 09/14/04 07:13 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

rye berries are the ones on the right in that pic.

Offlinericelicker

Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: fearfect]
    #3135481 - 09/14/04 07:15 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So the same as rye grain.

Thank you.

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: ricelicker]
    #3135557 - 09/14/04 07:31 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

rye grain is typically found at feed stores? health food stores?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: wds]
    #3135609 - 09/14/04 07:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Both.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rye grass seed - rye [Re: wds]
    #3135613 - 09/14/04 07:44 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yep sold as Rye Berries.

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3140395 - 09/15/04 08:59 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hrm, do you have to strain the rye for an eternity and a half or do you put it in a little wet?

Offlinericelicker

Re: Rye [Re: Ayrios]
    #3140413 - 09/15/04 09:00 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Put it in a little wet, especially at higher altitudes. The Dude had some problems with rye drying out too much.

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3140434 - 09/15/04 09:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Great. Like 'a little bit shiney' wet?

Offlinericelicker

#3140462 - 09/15/04 09:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yes. The Dude even left a tiny bit accumulated in the bottom of the container when he put it in to PC. This tiny bit was only visibly if you looked from the bottom and tilted it to the side.

Came out from the PC perfect. But remember this is at a higher altitude 5280+

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3140498 - 09/15/04 09:09 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I'll strain it a little more than that then. I'm around the base of the Ozarks so I'm not quite that high up... Plus my PC adds a little water :/

OfflineLocoJRP
    #3140809 - 09/15/04 10:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

After about seven days of colonization my rye qt jar had lots of myc growing. I shook the jar up for the first time and I had to shake it hard because the myc was holding the rye together pretty firmley. Now about 5 days later, there has been very little growth. There are balls of myc and rye in the jar but most of the grain is just loose. What do you think the problem is?

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: LocoJRP]
    #3141006 - 09/15/04 10:39 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Once the myc has started to form hard chunks I don't shake anymore. I only do it while the grain is loose so to say

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: LocoJRP]
    #3141015 - 09/15/04 10:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Possibly nothing and just slow, possibly to wet.

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3146905 - 09/17/04 04:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

are there any other whole grain as good and as easy as rye?

--------------------

InvisibleMykro_Guy
Myco Student
 User Gallery

#3147156 - 09/17/04 06:55 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

holly crap thats a sweet set up

InvisibleMykro_Guy
Myco Student
 User Gallery

Re: Rye [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3147157 - 09/17/04 07:00 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

BLOCKS SUX..... relable but ugually! its got nothing on my 1911!

OfflineColby
journeyman
    #3162467 - 09/21/04 11:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What is the name of the rye grain you find in stores that you use Magash?

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3162659 - 09/22/04 12:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The rye jars I mentioned earlier... I had one syringe left and had 4 ready to knock up. I pierced the tape over the tyvek on the first one, prepared to put in 3ml and before I knew it, the vacuum inside sucked up all 12cc. I almost cried :frown:

Hope you can't over-inoculate :wink:

Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Colby]
    #3163783 - 09/22/04 09:15 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Colby said:
What is the name of the rye grain you find in stores that you use Magash?

rye berries

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3164449 - 09/22/04 01:38 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ayrios said:
The rye jars I mentioned earlier... I had one syringe left and had 4 ready to knock up. I pierced the tape over the tyvek on the first one, prepared to put in 3ml and before I knew it, the vacuum inside sucked up all 12cc. I almost cried :frown:

Hope you can't over-inoculate :wink:

Wow, no growth after 5 days. Other jars in my incubator almost always show growth after 3. Haha did I really over-incoluate? Is that possible?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3164831 - 09/22/04 02:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You can yes. If you threw off your water content it could slow down growth alot. 12cc may not seem like much but its alot.

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3165099 - 09/22/04 03:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yep I know it's a lot :/ Atleast it's a quart and not a half pint :P

Offlinewds
another brick

#3189675 - 09/28/04 02:04 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

on step 3 of grain prep, is water added for the simmer?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3189691 - 09/28/04 02:06 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You must keep the grain fully submerged in water during the simmering process which adds water to the grain by cooking it.

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3189723 - 09/28/04 02:13 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

roger that, the pic for step 3 looks as if there is not more water than grain in there. and it did not specify adding more water for the simmer, although maybe i should've inferred that anyway...

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3189964 - 09/28/04 02:59 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

why only 1 cup of dry rye at the beginning of jar prep? 1 cup doesn't seem like very much in a quart... it's not even 1/2 way full...

--------------------

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3190543 - 09/28/04 07:31 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

rye absorbs alot of water so it grows a lot and i cant find rye so wheat berries was used worked the same and theres a few other grain berries sold in health food bins too. and is cheaper than brown rice here grains are 39lb rice 99lb. try any whole grain as experiment.

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3190617 - 09/28/04 08:48 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It blows up when simmering.

Offlinewds
another brick

#3191757 - 09/28/04 04:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ayrios said:
It blows up when simmering.

rye?

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3191828 - 09/28/04 04:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah. By blow up I mean increases in volume. I'd say with my rye berries they expand about 3-fold so that 1 cup is plenty.

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3193374 - 09/29/04 12:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I just prepared 2 qt jars for an experiment to check water content/the process overall. During the PCing water entered into the jars because i didn't have tyvek or polyfil, just coffee filters and aluminum foil. They sat on their sides. This could be a gross mistake but I went ahead and flipped the jar upside down after PCing, got the majority of all water in their-out. There is though - Rye that is slicky or sticky to the jar. Is this normal ? What is the consistancy after PCing? ?

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye [Re: qwon]
    #3193498 - 09/29/04 12:44 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

how long should i let the rye drain after i rinse when i'm done simmering?

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3194064 - 09/29/04 02:34 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i put 1.5 cups of rye in 7 quarts thinking "1 cup isn't enough, these guys don't know what they're talking about..." and what do you know, i wasted a SHIT load of rye because of the soak... i'm a fool for second guessing you guys, doh!

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3194417 - 09/29/04 04:07 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

He he he...yeah rye tends to expand. I don't really bother to let it drain. I just load it into a challender and it drains as I'm loading the jars.

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3194493 - 09/29/04 05:09 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what if i didn't use aluminum foil for pc'ing?
the jars look JUST like magash's...

ALSO, i opened the pc within a couple minutes of total pressure release... i don't know why that would be a problem, but i thought i'd mention it.

--------------------

Edited by wds (09/29/04 05:34 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3195616 - 09/29/04 02:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I don't use foil either..works just fine.

The problem with letting pressure out of your PC is it cools to quickly and that could lead to cracked jars, especially on older jars. I did it before and it was ok but its safer to just let it cool to zero before lifting the rocker and opening it.

--------------------

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3195697 - 09/29/04 03:09 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

But the rye in the jars after pc'ing have noticable water on them (pressed against the glass of the jar) no?

--------------------
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
- George W. Bush

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
    #3195816 - 09/29/04 03:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

yes:-)

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
Re: Rye [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3195823 - 09/29/04 03:43 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

sweet

--------------------
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3197292 - 09/29/04 09:52 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Mine do not.

--------------------

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3197451 - 09/29/04 10:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I definitely need a bigger PC'er.

:thumbup:

--------------------
- George W. Bush

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3197488 - 09/29/04 10:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I can fit 10 quarts in mine but I still need a bigger one *sigh*. It's gonna be a long night of PCing tonight :smile:

--------------------

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3197516 - 09/29/04 10:52 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

so awesome..

--------------------
- George W. Bush

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
    #3197953 - 09/30/04 12:31 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

qwon, i think your jars are a little too wet. I know if i can see any visible moisture in my rye jars when i try to shake them the mass of rye stays clumped together, as in the individual kernels are so soaked that they stick to the others. Also When i shake it the clump leaves brownish streaks of slime. I don't have that problem anymore cause i Rinse my rye thouroughly after PC-ing but more importantly (or equally as important) i DRY them thoroughly with a towel to get all the Resins / oils / Crap off it. Then i load into jars and PC. :-)

OfflineAmygdala
Learner

#3198139 - 09/30/04 01:10 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

When you innoculate does the tip need to be in the grain, or do you just spray it in? Since you'd be shaking the jars anyways, it seems like they would be fine. Also, would 1/4 In. be a big enough hole for air exchange?

--------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
Re: Rye [Re: Amygdala]
    #3198279 - 09/30/04 01:36 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The tip of the needle should be against the side of the jar, so the spore solution runs down the jar. That would be a good sized hole.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Amygdala]
    #3198360 - 09/30/04 02:02 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You know I just aim for the side, shoot it in and shake em up  :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: KillBill]
    #3200337 - 09/30/04 04:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

KillBill said:
qwon, i think your jars are a little too wet. I know if i can see any visible moisture in my rye jars when i try to shake them the mass of rye stays clumped together, as in the individual kernels are so soaked that they stick to the others.  Also When i shake it the clump leaves brownish streaks of slime.  I don't have that problem anymore cause i Rinse my rye thouroughly after PC-ing but more importantly (or equally as important) i DRY them thoroughly with a towel to get all the Resins / oils / Crap off it. Then i load into jars and PC.  :-)

:thumbup: Exactly!

--------------------

Invisiblegloom
journeyman
    #3205833 - 10/02/04 04:33 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

so you use 2 humidifiers? what about an air purifier? do you use it in your fruiting chamber?

Also, can this tek be followed with WBS instead of Rye?

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye [Re: gloom]
    #3209083 - 10/03/04 05:22 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

with rye, does it sometimes take a while to notice the first mycelial colonization? when should i start to worry?

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3209905 - 10/03/04 04:10 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

From what I've noticed myc seems to start pretty fast from spore on rye.

--------------------

Offlinewds
another brick

#3210847 - 10/03/04 08:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i didn't do the alcohol wipe/cool down of the needle, i probably killed all of my spores that i injected... i just re-inoculated 4/7 to see what happens...

--------------------

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
    #3222262 - 10/06/04 12:56 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, 2 questions?!?! Where can one purchase a water heater like magash. AFOAF would like one just like his with a temp control for the inside of the chamber and a temp control for the water. Also, how big is that martha stewart closet thing. I need measurments. Is there a sealed bottom to it so no mist soaks up on the carpet or contams get in? How much do each of these products go for? Thanks Rudiger420

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye [Re: Rudiger420]
    #3222345 - 10/06/04 01:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Heater is from e-bay.

Martha is about 5 feet tall, 3 wide, 20 inches deep or so.

Bottom is sealed

prices very on what brands you buy. Easy enough to look up.

--------------------

OfflineMattDogg
strange
    #3226128 - 10/07/04 03:48 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

just out of curiosity, about the six gallons of water you use to rinse the rye with after simmering. do you use plain ol' tap water or filtered or what?

--------------------
----------------------------------------
The subject of my own motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions---
I don't know why i do things

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
Re: Rye [Re: MattDogg]
    #3232489 - 10/08/04 11:54 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the reply magash. As for the last question, I would assume plain tap water since your going to pressure cook it anyhow. If you have access to free filtered water though, use it. Rudiger420

Offlinewds
another brick

Re: Rye [Re: Rudiger420]
    #3237017 - 10/09/04 06:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

is there anything bad about hardcore boiling the rye? i accidently let it boil hardcore, but then i turned the heat down.

also, does it matter if you don't see a clump of myc leave your karo syringe during inoculation? (did myc still get injected?)

--------------------

OfflineTheGreatButtPaca
Happy Gardner

Loc: KY
    #3270434 - 10/24/04 04:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what is jet dry and where do you get it

--------------------
All Hail!!!..................................420!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Grow Light, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Substrates