Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemushroomike
pot head

Loc: inside my head
Overheated jars - please help!
    #3039643 - 08/23/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wanted to heat up my jars so they would colonize faster. I could not afford a fist tank heater to make an incubator so I wrapped up my plastic box my jars are in, in a heated blanket. I could not measure the temp inside because my thermometer needed a battery so I teasted the heat inside the blanket with my hand. I did this yesterday. Today I felt the temp and it was way to hot, i guess the temp inside had heated up too much. I took the jars out of the plastic box to examin them. The jars were hot and the mycelium (dont know how to spell it) had sort of gone away or sunken in. (Its hard to explain, sorry) What I did was take the box with the jars in them out of the blanket and put it in room temp(approximately 70 digress f.) Is there any chance of the mycelium healing and continuing to grow? Please help this is very frustrating to me. Thanks alot for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDrOuD
Re: Overheated jars - please help! [Re: mushroomike]
    #3039691 - 08/23/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sunken in myco either means it's dead or has consumed a lot of the substrate. Either way, if you have full colonization, try dunking and birthing them on the off chance you didn't kill them.

By reference, the known temperature to kill myco for sure is 106 degrees. So try them!

And geez...an incubator costs all of $20 to build. Very much worth it unless you want to spend more than that on a thermostat to put inside the blanket and switch it on/off.

OfflineMad_Hatter2004
Surfista Amigo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in teh Northern... Flag
    #3039708 - 08/23/04 03:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Now you know why they say not to use a heat blanket or a heating pad.

This is the way MF incubates and I'll tell you it works!

If you have a computer with internet acess,preferably Road Runner (or any cable modem)then you to can incubate without having to make a Tub-in-tub.

Take a shoebox (depending on how many jars you plan to incubate) and lyscol it,get it nice and clean.Next,if the shoebox has any holes light can get into,take some breathable medical tape and apply 3 layers to each opening.Now,place your inocculated jars in your shoebox with a thermometer and close it.

Place next to the modem or around it.check the temp in an hour,if the temp in the room you are cultivating in is around 78-80 degrees then the temp inside the incubator should be around 82-84 degrees (this is pretty damn optimal IMO).Within 3-5 days you should see signs off Mycelium.

Dont try to speed up the colonization time....just be patient,it has been said that those who wait reap the greatest rewards.

--------------------
7 days without waves makes one weak!

Offlinemushroomike
pot head

Loc: inside my head
Re: Overheated jars - please help! [Re: Mad_Hatter2004]
    #3039883 - 08/23/04 04:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The mycilium has only colonized just a little bit so far. I inoculated the jars 12 days ago. The myco that is there does look sunken in and lookes very moist. It kind of lookes watery. I assume its dead. Thx for the help Droud it was helpfull. And yes Mad Hatter2004 I have heard about incubating the jars next to a modem but I just cant do that im my present situation. Again thx for the help.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #3039936 - 08/23/04 04:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I always just use a heating pad in some fashion, right now I have heating pad across the bottom of a rectangular tupperware type deal set on high. I put two VHS tapes on top of the heating pad at either end leaving about 5 inches of the pad exposed. Two WBS Qt. jars sit on on each tape, the tapes make it so the jars don't recieve too much heat directly from the pad. The temp. in the tupperware is 83.3 currently. As always the tub in tub is really nice, but if you have NO money like me, then just get a thermometer and get creative with what you have.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation