Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

The Nature Of Scientific Progress
    #3038327 - 08/23/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Seems to be that creative & anayltic minds invision certain ideas on creating a model to explain why things are the way they are. They then test it in order to prove it's validity. Often the ideas gain acceptance in the scientific community if there is a reason to accept it, and it's used to get a bigger understanding of the spefic subject matter.

But then the more people explore those ideas, they often find they're not completely true. The cover story in this month's Scientific American is about Einstein, and how we're advancing past his brillant ideas to discover that there is more than what he intially postulated. Of course, those ideas where revolutionary at the time, and it's very common for a scientist to be couragous enough to experiment with ideas.

So why is it that "spiritual" matters are ones that we to the past for answers to? Why is it that it's so condemned to search for better answers and better understanding to the nature of existance?

I think this is mainly because religion often tries to answer every question people have to why things are the way they are. Since these answers are typically instilled in a person at a very, very early age, it has a huge emotional impact. It's hard to unlearn in many cases. I also think that religion has played a positive role as a survival technique in societies which needed answers to help them grow. The problems is that those answers were relivant to their time & situation, much like Einstein's ideas at the time. So we look back to those answers to try and solve the problem the world faces today, and so often it ends up hurting because it ignores logic and the voice of the people who don't believe in those answers.

So I think it's good to be able to balance spiritual ideas in such a way that you feel free enough to postulate them, but also be able to challenge them so that they remain free from an emotional attachment as well as relevant and fair. We have the freedom to imagine and explore things, including our mind. Some of the things our mind is capable of, is enough that it can cesse the need for answers.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Re: The Nature Of Scientific Progress [Re: Twirling]
    #3038400 - 08/23/04 03:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone creates their own reality.

They believe what they want to believe, for whatever reasons. Our minds cling to ideals like religion, sometimes because their is a fear in learning something you have been taught to follow could be faulty. Some people don't like to look at things they are uncomfotable with and analyze them. Why should they?

This same sorta pattern works for scientific studies and the advances. People cling onto scientific and algebraic theories, and never think to question them, because everything seems to be working fine for the moment. Then the mind starts questioning, and finds another temporary solution for the undefined.

It is a cycle of digging deeper and deeper into ideals and tearing them apart, until it is either black or white. Seperation. patterns, fractals, equations, uncertainty...

The mind assumes and creates its own answers for you through present self. Programmed, so your mind automatically provides answers for you until questioned and proven wrong. After all, that is how science works. To prove the theory wrong, in order to expand...is definitely more useful then being proven right...

It is good to balance spiritual ideas, but everyone has their own theory on where to draw the line within themselves between emotion and logic.

Logic to me is all hearsay, in the end everything I hear is fictional, completely transcendental. And i like it. Now back to my rainbows, fairies, talking wisdom kabbalah trees, and elven woodland gnomes...hippy-dee-flank.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Nature Of Scientific Progress [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3038422 - 08/23/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Great response. I think the "fact" that people create their own reality, or interpertation of reality is ultimately why you can't force any of this on anybody. Sometimes people just aren't ready to question, and it would effect their psychological state to do so. It might not even be that important to other people. I try to make sure I don't enforce those things on other people, and while I've always been sensitive about it (or tried to), it's a lesson I've slowly learned over the past year.

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
    #3038428 - 08/23/04 03:34 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

its good to see this... people need to read things like this and then they might be able to question their ways, i have agreed with this point for many years now and its good to see others with an intellect that has the depth of grasping this concept, it is very true that we are sort of programmed at a young age and just like a lullaby that our mother sang to us to comfort us that we grew found of.... we build an emotional attachment to fairy tails like the bible.. and others.....

i just dont see how people cant see the evolutionary level of people back then and how they needed an "answer" so badly, and reason for this whole experince that they were desperate enough to manipulate these so called chronicles of human exsistance.. i mean, we do it in present day at our present level of intelligence so why not back when it wasnt so obvious, you've never seen like a commerical with people saying "it changed my life" and its like a fucking car or something, these are just books with realativity insightful and profound and sacred meanings to back a deeper meaning to life.. and we have adapted in our minds to the meaning for exsistence to be spelled out for us in a fucking book...
one thing i didnt see in your thread was the whole fear factor behind religion..it is a major if not the most important reason people succumb to "falling inline", if you will.
religion imposes a fear on people that affects us at such a vulnerable age that it stays with us forever, its like a deer running out in front of a car and locking up in front of the headlights, totally frozen and unable to budge, paralyzed with fear.. as we are sterilized with sub-conscious control,in our culture...and sadly it is now our minds

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Re: The Nature Of Scientific Progress [Re: sillysimon]
    #3038443 - 08/23/04 03:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"They believe what they want to believe, for whatever reasons. Our minds cling to ideals like religion, sometimes because their is a fear in learning something you have been taught to follow could be faulty. Some people don't like to look at things they are uncomfotable with and analyze them. Why should they?"
-Ares

"one thing i didnt see in your thread was the whole fear factor behind religion..it is a major if not the most important reason people succumb to "falling inline", if you will.
religion imposes a fear on people that affects us at such a vulnerable age that it stays with us forever, its like a deer running out in front of a car and locking up in front of the headlights, totally frozen and unable to budge, paralyzed with fear.. as we are sterilized with sub-conscious control,in our culture...and sadly it is now our minds "
-sillysimon

Check out a book called Vurt by Jeff Noon

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: The Nature Of Scientific Progress [Re: sillysimon]
    #3038456 - 08/23/04 03:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for your feedback and ideas. Fear is huge when it comes to religion. It's interesting how it's accepted that people can quite their fears through religion, but people who use entheogens to understand their fears or explore are critized so heavily (that's probably just the bitterness speaking though, hehe).

I think the most unfortunate part about that fear is how much it's used as manipulation, like you said. I think that fear is what keeps people from feeling free enough to question. In the Catholic religion, a person is often taught that the bad things that happen in a person's life is often God punishing their lack of faith, or something they've done. That's a HUGE damaging thing to live under, and it's hard when you're discussing something psychological or philosphocial with someone and they have that mindset because they see it as the reasons for everything. It's sad really, because I'm sure that's a huge load of stress on a person.

Offlinesillysimon
PermanentPalinopsia

Loc: i have an STD,its HPPD ...
    #3038572 - 08/23/04 05:21 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

that is truly sad..just like the woes that society subcumbs to..i hope the future is not as sad as it seems...

--------------------
In the dawn my toes are cold They spread their little trinkets on the ground In the hall By the closet door They creep into my bed without sound On a cube In a plastic egg A hundred fabric figures in a pile See them march Toward me And dance across the floor trippily Little faces keep no track of time Little faces speaking out in rhyme Little faces smiling in my mind Tiny doors For walking through sticky fingers clutch forbidden things the phone For talking through Sinking ships On a foamy sea That tumbles from the motion of filthy Little hands In the dark When eyes are wide listen to secrets that I tell In a ball On tiny beds Or beneath them where the shadow people dwell moon Beams split the night Leave bars of yellow pasted on their faces As they drift into a dream

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3038726 - 08/23/04 08:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup: :laugh:

I want to point out that there are many periods throughout scientific progress where experimentation precedes theory. The beginning of the industrial revolution, for example.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Edited by trendal (08/23/04 08:56 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology