Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
the tiniestspark

Loc: Maryland
being born with a disease
    #3035844 - 08/22/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So let's just pretend for a minute... that there's this member on the Shroomery board named April who was born with a rare disease. It will affect her for the rest of her life. Should she even bother asking "Why?" Is it just one of those things that happens? I truly don't believe that it's a punishment. But what does karma/Buddhism have to say about the subject? I'm not very educated on the subject of karma, but doesn't it state that she somehow deserve this? Could it also be that maybe she wanted to be ill in her next life... just to see what she could learn? Because she's learned a shit load.

Well, talking in this third person crap is annoying... This post is totally self serving, I must admit. I would just really appreciate some opinions on WHY!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: being born with a disease [Re: April]
    #3035861 - 08/22/04 12:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Im not very informed about the whole buhdism karma religion, even though its part of my name. But i can logically answere one of you questions. To learn one must experience and reflect, so for her to learn anything from this new life she would have to reflect her whole experience knowing she had a past life. I doubt 'april' or anyone has lived a past life a is totally knowledgable about it, right? One more thing, karma is something which is built up, once you've built enough karma, karma standing for good energy, one will descend into bliss with brahman. but if one does not build enough you live another life, one which is not chosen but merley given. Its all very confusing, i think you would have to talk to a real buhdist to undertsand what they are really getting at.

For the record i dont abuse buhhdah its just slang for marijuana!:)

Peace MBA

Love is like a train...

Loc: The Sea
    #3035881 - 08/22/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Everything happens for a reason, as I am sure is a repeated sentence for daily living in the lives of the diseased.

I think diseases arise from past lives. There are struggles that one must go through in order to be that much stronger. If you live to overcome the disease and not let it effect you in any way that you can influence, you are winning.

And another thing, when people are born in some way dysfunctional (eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc) this increases the sensitivity of one of many of the other senses.

example : i wear eyeglasses, my sense of hearing is almost immaculate. I am a complete aural learner for theory and music. I hear my creativity and express it through pencil, erasing every mistake in one quick swift.

Cancer is meant to overcome, to defeat. It is very emotional, and the influences of the moon are imperative.

and remember, everything I say is as false to you as it is to me, and reality same.

Take care of yourself. Thats the best thing everyone can do for eachother.

A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3036239 - 08/22/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Rolling around on the surface of the planet, stumping, crawling flying and swimming are all kinds of beings.
some are genetically "human" others are not.
some of the human ones have become lucky enough to post to shroomery ones.
you can marvel at "how" this variance in forms, abilities, ages, and financial options interacts after emerging and later individually fades back into the void from which it came but it is way too big a system to grasp any true "why"s.
sometimes it is maddenning.
galling limitation usually is.
what can be done to increase the merit of any individual?
- to contribute some valuable movement to this dance does not need legs.

to understand karma you have to look at intentions (in the now which is the only time there is) particularly there are 3, hatred greed and delusion that can be opposed with love sharing and clarity. There is nothing else to understand about karma. we are not here to judge ourselves or others, but to pick up the ball when it rolls our way (metaphor).

Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3036667 - 08/22/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My guru says that people have different things to deal with in the current lifetime because either they messed up in the last time or because they have something they need to learn in this lifetime.

Also, we choose to come back as certain people with certain afflictions because it helps others. But upon being born, we forget that we chose to come here and go through whatever it is, such as having a disease.

And we won't usually be able to see the reason why we go through the things we go through until we return to where ever we came from.

So, I think of the things I endure, and I look at people like Steven Hawkings, or that little boy who just recently died who was interviewed by Larry King, and I look at how they live with dignity and find ways to help the people on this planet in spite of their afflictions.

In fact, I recently watched a special on Steven Hawkings and he believes that if he hadn't been born with the disease he has, he wouldn't have done anything useful on this planet. He said he had no real purpose for living before he was diagnosed as having that illness. When he discovered he had 2 years left to live, he decided to do something.

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

#3036861 - 08/22/04 06:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

There are a couple reasons people are born with such diseases. The first is that a disease acts as a catalyst for learning and results in a more challenging experience living in the body. A soul may choose to live with a certain condition as a handicap so that they may learn life lessons more intensely. Secondly, and this is more rare, if a soul profile doesn't match up well enough with the genetic profile of the body, disfigurations or disease may occur.

The first one may be related to karma, but it's not punishment. Souls don't punish themselves, only egos do. It's simply a learning mechanism, as you said, to greatly intensify and quicken the learning cycle in 3D.

Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3037156 - 08/22/04 08:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was born with a terminal comdition. I am still coming to grips with it's consequences ending in my eventual demise. It is called "life".

the tiniestspark

Re: being born with a disease [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3037905 - 08/22/04 11:38 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you very much, XOIIAresIIOX, for your kind words.  You are a very smart and sweet lady. 

I'm glad people agree with my theory on that you gain wisdom from it, and that it's not necessarily a "bad" thing.  I used to be really depressed and didn't appreciate life at all.  Then, when I found out I was sick and on the verge of dying - I wanted to fucking live!  Now I'm much smarter, and I feel like I have something inside of me that I want to show people, but I don't know how.

Huehuecoyotl, I had to give you 5 shrooms.  I always like what you have to say and you gave me a good chuckle.  :laugh:

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3037942 - 08/22/04 11:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it is completely random, sorry that it happened to you  :frown:.  if you think about it, everybody is born with something that they don't like or that challenges them or makes them unhappy.  many people don't like the way they look.  people wish they were more athletic, better artists, less shy, etc...everybody is stuck with something, so you aren't too alone in the end. :cool:

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

the tiniestspark

Re: being born with a disease [Re: TODAY]
    #3038334 - 08/23/04 02:45 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

True!  Thank you!  I have many other great qualities to level it out.  The world is quite a neutral place, no?  :smirk:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology