Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky
    #3032938 - 08/21/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A recent HUFON UFO Report carries a brief description of what sounds like an important UFO case. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, two police officers piloting a helicopter encountered a glowing pear-shaped UFO the size of a basketball which literally flew in circles around the helicopter, which was flying at speeds of up to 100 mph. According to the account the UFO was first sighted close to the ground and resembled a bonfire. Officer Kenny Graham shone a 1.5 million candlepower spotlight on the light and it slowly floated up to the helicopter's height (500 ft) where it hovered for several seconds. "Then it took off at a speed I've never seen before", Graham reported.

The UFO made two huge counter-clockwise loops and then approached the helicopter from its rear. As Graham pushed the helicopter speed over 100 mph the UFO shot past and then instantly climbed hundreds of feet into the air. Then the UFO descended and flew near the helicopter before emitting three baseball-sized fireballs from out of its middle towards the helicopter. The fireballs fizzled into nothing. As the helicopter banked away the UFO disappeared. Intriguingly two police officers on the ground also saw the UFO although only one saw the three fireballs. Officer Joe Smolenski tried to chase the UFO in his patrol car but soon gave up !

The encounter occurred at 12.30 am in the morning. Curiously security staff at the Park only saw the police helicopter, not the UFO. In addition nothing turned up on radar at the local airport. Pilot Graham (39) had been flying for 11 years whilst his co-pilot Kenny Downs (also 39) had been flying for 5 years. Rick Lasher of the National Weather Service dismissed the possibility that the helicopter had encountered a "lightning ball" or a meteorological fireball. It had been snowing earlier in the evening but this stopped at 7:48. Temperatures were in the 20s, the solid cloud cover was beginning to disperse and no thunder or electric storms were reported. A university professor ruled out a meteorite whilst a professor of mechanical engineering ruled out any known aircraft. Instead he suggested that possibly the pilots may have misconstrued reflections created by the snow and heavy atmospheric conditions.

Interesting eh?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Jellric]
    #3032973 - 08/21/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Where is the actual report...Links!!! Links!!! I live in Kentucky and have heard nothing.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3033465 - 08/21/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting stuff, do you know the actual date of this event and as said links would be nice :wink:

There are many UK based incidents of planes being visited by 'orb' like UFOs.  I should start researching some US incidents.  Your right it is another important part of the puzzle.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3033558 - 08/21/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How will this fact or non-fact affect anyone in their daily dealings with others and make them more content? What is it's practical application?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Swami]
    #3033602 - 08/21/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Is information which does not have an immediate practical application necessarily irrelevant?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: trendal]
    #3033657 - 08/21/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What is the point if it doesn't get us more money, good herb or hot chix?  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3034071 - 08/21/04 07:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"How will this fact or non-fact affect anyone in their daily dealings with others and make them more content? What is it's practical application?"

I might get a free ride in a cool saucer.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3034209 - 08/21/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"How will this fact or non-fact affect anyone in their daily dealings with others and make them more content?"

A lot of people are content with discussing UFOs with others in their daily dealings..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3034244 - 08/21/04 08:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

the recent UFO sightings is just a preparation for the governments planned alien-cold war. You heard it here first.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Ego Death]
    #3034381 - 08/21/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well I have a confession to make, folks. You see I purposely left out the last part of the story..

The Louisville Courier-Journal initially reported the story and the following is from the Crop Watcher:

"About 3 days after the enclosed article appeared, a local couple contacted the paper and informed them that, somewhat to their embarrassment, they were responsible for the incident. It seems that this young couple had a fairly long and well established history of constructing small hot air balloons from balsa wood and plastic dry cleaner bags. They would assemble these items, place several small birthday cake candles inside, and launch a homemade hot air balloon. A rather odd hobby perhaps, but nevertheless a hobby that was confirmed by neighbours. They reside in the immediate vicinity of the incident. They reported that on the evening of the 'dogfight' they had launched one of these balloons and then watched in amazement as a police 'copter flew into the area and appeared to 'investigate' the balloon. They saw the copter direct a high-intensity searchlight onto the balloon, circle around and then fly off into the night. They did not think the incident particularly newsworthy until they learned of the UFO report some time later. The police officers have refused to back down from their story that they saw something other than a small hot air balloon. The entire affair totally disappeared from the papers with the publication of the 2nd story. The impression was left that the police department and particularly the officers involved were extremely embarrassed and wanted to distance themselves from it ASAP."

Having launched many such balloons I can add some things to further explain some details. The three "flares" the pilots perceived as being shot at them were very likely the candles falling from the balloon. The balloon was probably caught up in the swirling winds surrounding the rotors and the pilots perceived that as being chased. After a few such movements the balloon probably just collapsed, giving the impression that it suddenly dissapeared.

If two veteran pilots could mistake a flying plastic dry cleaning bag for a UFO (up close no less!) what does that tell you about everyday observers of the sky like you and I?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3034387 - 08/21/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If two veteran pilots could mistake a flying plastic dry cleaning bag for a UFO (up close no less!) what does that tell you about everyday observers of the sky like you and I?

You sly fox!

It tells me that ALL beliefs are equally valid and should not be made fun of and that we should NEVER question the observation or report of another because we weren't there.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3034493 - 08/21/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Riiight.  :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3034803 - 08/21/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I used to be really interested in making home-made UFO's. The best I actually accomplished was 4 or 5 garbage bags filled with helium and tied to a flare. We let it loose over Mojave desert at nite. It flew right over some people camping further down the canyon. We could see them trying to shine a spot light on it. It continued to climb and flew directly over California city.

The string was tied to the last 1/2 inch or so of the flare, so when it burned down (up) to the string the flare fell straight down and burned out in the air...but the effect was that it shot off at an amazingly high speed over the horizon. It really looked impressive.

Another good one is to tie a glow stick about 4 feet under a kite and fly it at night.

I know, I know, I'm only contributing to the problem.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Source]
    #3034819 - 08/21/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The string was tied to the last 1/2 inch or so of the flare, so when it burned down ...

At last we discover the source of the major forest fire in that area. *Dials 911*

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3034820 - 08/21/04 11:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Try taking a clear helium filled garbage bag and dump the glowing contents of a chemlight into it...guaranteed UFO report.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3034828 - 08/21/04 11:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You guys are making sport of the UFOnauts and that just isn't right. I will have to try it!  :eek:

*Swami pouts* No one commented on my sig. Major cleverness gone to waste. Will have to find a new one.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (08/21/04 11:30 PM)

OfflineSource
Male

#3035071 - 08/22/04 01:09 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
The string was tied to the last 1/2 inch or so of the flare, so when it burned down ...

At last we discover the source of the major forest fire in that area. *Dials 911*

:ooo:

No, this was years ago.  Besides, there isn't too much to burn in Mojave.  I was more worried about aircraft.  I was planning on creating a rather large triangular shaped craft using industrial sized glowsticks for lighting but thought better of it when I realized I might take down one of the fighter or passenger jets that frequent the area.

--------------------

OfflineSource
Male

#3035081 - 08/22/04 01:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
*Swami pouts* No one commented on my sig. Major cleverness gone to waste. Will have to find a new one.

Awww don't pout. I'll admit that I chuckled at your merciless wit the first time I read it.

--------------------

OfflineSource
Male

Re: Police helicopter chased by UFO in Kentucky [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3035093 - 08/22/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That reminds me of a time while (also in Mojave) some friends and I were tripping for the first time. We cut open one of those glow sticks and were pouring the contents out on top of a balloon when someone touched the sharp end of the stick onto the balloon. POP. All three of us were COVERED with hundreds of thousands of tiny luminescent specks.

Triiiiipy!

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#3035097 - 08/22/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Most people who make fire balloons are pretty responsible. One of the unwritten rules is that you only launch when wind is under 10 mph and follow your balloons(s) until the fire goes out.

The great majority of us launch balloons as a hobby, not to attract attention. To me the subsequent UFO reports are an amusing sideshow. I've learned a lot about human nature from this hobby. Like how few people look up, literally and metaphorically.

My hobby started when I launched my first balloon when I was a child. It was a small helium Donald Duck balloon I bought at a flea market. I attached a plastic sandwich bag to the string with a note inside giving a little information about myself. A few days later we got a call at the house. It was from a guy who had read my note after finding my balloon on his farm in South Carolina- over 700 miles away. I got a good bit of media attention (my 15 minutes) and lots of letters from little old ladies sending me religious tracts for some reason. I wonder if they thought I needed salvation or something?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom