Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Strumpling]
    #3034364 - 08/21/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The keyword is "complete" as in whole or fully-formed.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Swami]
    #3034581 - 08/21/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>> Everyone here brings their BEST IDEAS and methodologies (where applicable) to the table, do they not? Do you bring your worst, most ill-thought out ideas and a half-baked WAY or do you present your BEST way? What is the problem with that? Must I quake with temerity and uncertainty to win your approval?

That is all silliness and you know it. There is a difference between being confident in your point of view and being wrecklessly arrogant. Sages such as Buddha and Lao Tzu behaved according to whom they were addressing. That is the essence of the way of life they taught. They did not trample over individuals without care nor concern, derriving a sense of satisfaction from their confusion and pain. Here are Lao Tzu's and Buddha's thoughts on the matter:

"The man with a superior mind knows himself to be of inferior and childish mind."
-- Buddha

"The virtue that knows itself as virtue is non-virtue. Likewise, virtue that is honest does not know what is virtuous."
-- Lao Tzu.

And some more,

"You say that you are a superior man, but it's because you say this that you are an inferior man."
-- Shankaracharya

"A spoon does not know the taste of soup, nor a wise man the taste of wisdom."
-- Welsh Proverb

"The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
-- Shakespeare

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise"
-- Cato the Elder

"A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool"
-- Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

An actor, athlete or a musician who struts around blasting everyone else for their inferior talents does not sell movies, books, or records. They are held in low esteem by all. His followers are those wishing only to live in his shadow, to ride his wake. It's a lonely way to live. Being respectful and humble does not mean one has to "strive for mediocrity." Quite the contrary, it is arrogance and pride which are mediocre.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Ped]
    #3034633 - 08/21/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That is all silliness and you know it.
I will use that line every time someone asks me a question and we will watch the sparks fly!Do you seriously consider that an answer to an honest question? Was I too much on target to elicit a cordial and thoughtful response?

"The man with a superior mind knows himself to be of inferior and childish mind."
Woo Hoo. Look at me ! Look how puny and inferior I am! I am so wise/unwise (I get lost playing this game) as to NOT acknowledge my strengths or act with confidence.

An... athlete whos struts around ... does not sell
Muhammed "I am the greatest!" Ali brought millions of new fans and the highest purses ever to boxing. So much for that theory."

A spoon does not know the taste of soup...
A rolling Kate gathers no Moss.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #3035870 - 08/22/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I give up. You speak for yourself loudly and clearly, kiddo. Did Ali make fun of other boxers? Did he spit on them after he defeat them? Did he make fun of their families? No, that was Mike Tyson. Did Mike Tyson also proclaim his own greatness? Yes, he did. Do you see the obvious difference? Ali had an amount of dignity and respect. Mike Tyson showed no amount of dignity nor respect. What does the world think of Mike Tyson? You see, the rebuttals to your hopelessly non-specific arguments are so obvious that it's hard to believe you could be unable to see them as you're writing. Do you deliberatly ignore your own illogic? It looks like it. You deliberately misinterpret what people say. You twist words. You're always trying -- and failing -- to turn people's arguments back around on them. Not many people are fooled by your silly little tricks, Swami.

You can acknowledge your strengths, Swami. That is O.K. I'm asking you to acknowledge your weaknesses as well. If you can't acknowledge your weaknesses, they consume you. They make a person weak. A person who acknowledges his or her strenghts while ignoring his weaknesses thinks he is strong when in fact he is weak. Personally, I could care less if you yourself are weak or strong. That is not my business. It's when you hurt or bother other people that I feel personally compelled to assume the role of "taskmaster."

Being half-way humble does not mean effacing yourself. You know that. How could you not know that? The only explanation is that you ignored that fact and portarayed humility as self-effacement because that was convenient for you, relying as always upon a few capitalized adverbs to make your flimsy argument seem a little more convincing.

What I'm asking is that you stop exaggerating your stregnths, putting them on display for all to see, by highlighting the weaknesses of others. It damages them. It detracts from the overall quality of discussion. It would also be nice if you would make an effort to address people's points for a change, instead of twisting their words around, addressing only half their argument while ignoring the other. Your whole game is smoke and mirrors, Swami. I for one am not fooled, just annoyed, absolutely fed up. I've tried to maintain a lot of patience with you over the months, Swami, watching you shit all over other people who are no better, no worse, just different than you.

It is not your job to show up here and police everybody's posts for integrity, Swami. Everybody here is at different stages of development. Sure, lots of people post ridiculous and inconsistent ideas. That is fine. Many of the posters here are still children! Why would you use the fragile self-esteems of children to bolster your own grandios sense of rationality? Why would you come on to the internet just to insult other people's intelligence while advertising your own? What kind of person are you?

Seeing as how it's highly unlikely that any of this has sunk in, nor would you ever reply with anything other than sarcasm even if it had sunk in, I think I need a break from Swami's S&P for a good long while.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #3036487 - 08/22/04 02:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The wisest man is too modest to share. That's why I use an assumption of enlightenment, assuming everyone you talk to is spiritually evolved, as those who are will never mention it. It seems to do good.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3036595 - 08/22/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
You can acknowledge your strengths, Swami.  That is O.K.  I'm asking you to acknowledge your weaknesses as well.  If you can't acknowledge your weaknesses, they consume you.  They make a person weak.  A person who acknowledges his or her strenghts while ignoring his weaknesses thinks he is strong when in fact he is weak.  Personally, I could care less if you yourself are weak or strong.  That is not my business.  It's when you hurt or bother other people that I feel personally compelled to assume the role of "taskmaster."

:heart: :heart: :heart:

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #3036614 - 08/22/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Seems there has been a spate of this lately. For a "psychic" community, the "readings" are so far off that it is humorous. For a "spiritual" community, there certainly is too frequent expressions of unfocused vitriol. The prevailing theme seems to be, "I am going to show you how unspiritual and immature you are, by showing you how unspiritual and immature I am." *clap clap* Bravo!

How can focusing on (your interpretation of) the poster's persona possibly aid in any discussion?

Sorry to hear that this forum isnt the utopia that seem to long for. If there is something that bothers you, maybe try support group central.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3036760 - 08/22/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Did Ali make fun of other boxers?
Yes, he certainly mocked them.

Did he spit on them after he defeat them?
Aren't we going a little far afield? No one here is defeating or spitting on anyone.

Did he make fun of their families?
Wow, how deep does this negative fantasy run? I have never made a derisive comment on anyone's family.

Do you deliberatly ignore your own illogic?
Your introduction to this post in a sideways comparison of me to a rapist is an exercise in illogic.

It's when you hurt or bother other people that I feel personally compelled to assume the role of "taskmaster."

It is not your job to show up here and police everybody's posts for integrity, Swami.
*Irony alert* I see that your self-proclaimed job description is more noble than my self-proclaimed job description. How very humble. You are in fact stating that the moderators are incapable of doing their appointed job.

Swami, watching you shit all over other people...
I can see all those year of meditation have been really efficacious in emotional control. Debunking a UFO report has morphed into defecation on an individual's character. You may have a valid point, but it is certainly hard to hear amidst the hyperbole.

You can acknowledge your strengths, Swami. That is O.K. I'm asking you to acknowledge your weaknesses as well. If you can't acknowledge your weaknesses, they consume you.
All great religions tell one to start with one's self. Why not start a "Public acknowledgment of weaknesses" thread with your confession? I may then follow suit.

Sure, lots of people post ridiculous and inconsistent ideas. That is fine.
False ideas can be much more dangerous than a minor embarassment.

Why would you use the fragile self-esteems of children to bolster your own grandios sense of rationality?
You underestimate the power and resilience of those you label fragile.

Why would you come on to the internet just to insult other people's intelligence while advertising your own? What kind of person are you?
Please post a copy of your PhD in psychology so that I know your analysis has some basis and is not just a knee-jerk reaction and an attempt at the kind of insult that you so despise.

Seeing as how it's highly unlikely that any of this has sunk in, nor would you ever reply with anything other than sarcasm even if it had sunk in,
Your emotionalism is showing once again with your over-generalization. Will you wager that I can show you thousands and thousands of posts with not even a hint of sarcasm? If you really want to make a case and it is valid, why do you need to keep exaggerating? Are you afraid that if you let the facts stand on their own, that your case would be too weak?

I think I need a break from Swami's S&P for a good long while. It is not your job to show up here and police everybody's posts for integrity, Swami.
But is it your job to police the poster. I see the difference.

Your whole stance is that people are weak and frail with no ability to defend their ideas. That appears to me to be somewhat derisive.

*Swami checks Ped's ratings and then checks his own and notices no difference.*

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Northernsoul]
    #3036766 - 08/22/04 04:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry to hear that this forum isnt the utopia that seem to long for. If there is something that bothers you, maybe try support group central.

You are misinterpreting an observation with an annoyance. (a perfect example!) There is no longed-for utopia. I just find it amusing that self-proclaimed psychics and those allegedly more in tune with spirit fair far worse than chance when guessing. If there was any validity to many of the ideas regularly expounded upon here, one would expect the opposite, no?

--------------------

Edited by Swami (08/22/04 04:33 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3036790 - 08/22/04 04:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The correct response would be for you to publicly acknoweldge your weaknesses if you TRULY believed that line earned a triple-heart. But what you are most likely saying is that because you are not too fond of me, some personal attacks are acceptable.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3036812 - 08/22/04 04:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think I need a break from Swami's S&P for a good long while. It is not your job to show up here and police everybody's posts for integrity, Swami.
But is it your job to police the poster. I see the difference.

Swami, do you not realize that he is not acting as he normally does?

This is unusual, for Ped to act this way. You know this.

You should also recognize the mask he is choosing to wear, because it is your own mask as well.

He is choosing to consciously act the role of the hypocrite in order to act as a mirror for you. He is trying to show you your own mask, so that you can remove it.

I once attempted the same approach.. to show you what you come across as. But you pulled the same techniques, and managed to take the focus off the very part of discussion that might have benefited you the most.

You do realize that being wrong can be beneficial, right?  :confused:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3036828 - 08/22/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
The correct response would be for you to publicly acknoweldge your weaknesses if you TRULY believed that line earned a triple-heart. But what you are most likely saying is that because you are not too fond of me, some personal attacks are acceptable.

Um.. I harbor no personal gruge against you, Swami. Infact, I like you. I like your sense of humor. I like the part of you that we don't have to deal with when you get into your defensive mode.

I gave that statement a triple-heart because he was right. He didn't say anything about public acknowledgement. His concern is for you, personally. Don't you see that? He's not out to get you, Swami. He wants you to personally acknowledge your weaknesses so that you can try to better yourself.

Which I think is spot-on advice, so I gave it a triple-heart. Sorry if you don't agree with it's merit.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3036854 - 08/22/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

He is choosing to consciously act the role of the hypocrite in order to act as a mirror for you.
So, using the same "logic" I should rape a rapists's sister to show the offender how wrong his act was?

He is acting the hypocrite because it is an aspect of his being that he has long denied. One CANNOT be what one is not. An apple tree cannot bring forth peaches.

Swami, do you not realize that he is not acting as he normally does?
Yes, the false pretense of Zen master has fallen away to reveal what lies underneath.

I once attempted the same approach..
So both you an Ped find dissecting ideas to be bad (the basic purpose of philosophical debate!), but dissecting the poster (an acknowledged No-No in logical argument) to be acceptable, but I am the "bad guy". *scratches head*

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3036913 - 08/22/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

We are all hypocrites, Swami. We all have that second side that you seem to be denying.

I don't know where else to go with this, as you're using your usual blocking techniques to avoid letting anyone actually have a conversation with you about yourself.

So I'll now return to the bleachers, where I will watch the next contestant. With a classic Swami?-brand bow-out technique of making a joke out of the whole thing...

Come on down!

You're the next contestant on The Swami Showdown!

P.S. Seriously, let's set up a seperate website where people come to face you in The Swami Showdown. We could post up old transcripts from past contenders!

It's a goldmine, I tell you!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3036923 - 08/22/04 05:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Which I think is spot-on advice, so I gave it a triple-heart. Sorry if you don't agree with it's merit.

I didn't say I didn't agree with it's merit. Only that if you and Ped feel strongly about it, then demonstrate it. That is hardly unreasonable.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3036929 - 08/22/04 05:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"We are all hypocrites, Swami. We all have that second side that you seem to be denying."

and that's ok...as long as we learn and are aware of the mistakes and missteps we take.  it's wonderful isn't it?  :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3036934 - 08/22/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know where else to go with this, as you're using your usual blocking techniques to avoid letting anyone actually have a conversation with you about yourself.

This IS a philosophy forum, not a personality forum. Honestly now, show a thread where I analysed your personal strengths and weaknesses. Ped could not, yet still complained about it.

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3036958 - 08/22/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What did you want to know? My faults?

I'm socially anxious.
I'm lazy, unless it really matters.
I sometimes allow my emotions to cloud my judgement.
I'm out of shape physically.
I think things over too heavily.
My teeth are pretty fucking crooked. (shoulda got braces when I had the chance)
I tend to skip family gatherings on my dad's side of the family.
I'm heavily logic based at times when I should be more emotional, (like funerals.) resulting in a sort of "emotions bottled up inside" effect.
I over-analyze just about everything. My friends seem displeased with it, but I don't think it's a fault personally.

The list goes on...

Your turn?  :wink:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3036988 - 08/22/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

We are perfect beings trying to rediscover that which we have forgotten.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#3037028 - 08/22/04 05:40 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ain't it the truth.  :thumbup:  :stoned:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom