Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Analyzing The Poster
    #3031787 - 08/21/04 09:19 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Seems there has been a spate of this lately. For a "psychic" community, the "readings" are so far off that it is humorous. For a "spiritual" community, there certainly is too frequent expressions of unfocused vitriol. The prevailing theme seems to be, "I am going to show you how unspiritual and immature you are, by showing you how unspiritual and immature I am." *clap clap* Bravo!

How can focusing on (your interpretation of) the poster's persona possibly aid in any discussion?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Swami]
    #3031798 - 08/21/04 09:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you mean like making accusations?

saying who is what, trying to generalize a person based on a couple of threads?

I think we all have been guilty of this from time to time..no?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3031799 - 08/21/04 09:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

not to say deviate from your point though, which I agree with 100%

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3031812 - 08/21/04 09:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

we have all done it and still are doing it i don't think its going to change any time soon and its coming from both sides of the coin, sorry that i have done that in the past i appolgize and will try and keep myself in check

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: kaiowas]
    #3031816 - 08/21/04 09:42 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

kaiowas said:
you mean like making accusations?

saying who is what, trying to generalize a person based on a couple of threads?

I think we all have been guilty of this from time to time..no?

Indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...

Of course, Swami's accusations never target the poster but the subject of the post. See, the key is to indirectly belittle the poster so that you can't be accused of targetting the poster directly.  :rolleyes:

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #3031830 - 08/21/04 09:48 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have to agree with your point as well.

Some "baggage" can carry over from thread to thread.That is ,if i have pissed of some people in other threads systematically (whether if they were rightfully pissed or wrongfully) this anger of furstration might follow me around.I tend to answer the questions here or discuss without having preformed notions of that person.

Unfortunatelly,sometimes i find it difficult to escape. For example: I want some advice on cacti growing in agar or mushroom growing.I will hear to all of the peoples opinions but if Una answers my cactus question or Anno my mushrooms question their replies will carry more significance because i knwo they are hands on people with experience.They may be wrong,and someone,a newbie with 10 posts might give me the correcrt answer,but nevertheless i will still be prositively prejudiced towards those two individuals.

Ok ,you may say "thats not person ,thats experience,you either have it or not".Lets take another example,you! From what i have read around in S&P i know that if someone supports a view that may look unfounded or that he/she provides no sound backing up theory about it ,you are going to inquire about it using logic and asking for a demonstration (if applicable).Your methods might be "sharp" sometimes,so some people like your for it ,other people hate you.I know that if i support something unfounded you will inquire on it,if for example i say that everynight my dead grandpa speaks to me and conveys the truths of universe. But this does not stop me from replying to a post...

Sometimes a rather fiery persona can raise the other persons defences so tall that the meaning fails to go through

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #3031833 - 08/21/04 09:52 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Can we get through a single Swami thread without letting the personal emotions come out?

See, the key is to indirectly belittle the poster so that you can't be accused of targetting the poster directly.

Belittling wacky ideas is NOT belittling the poster. It amazes that we are stuck on this. The spiritual advocates will say, "We are pure spirit and not our possessions or our talents or even our body,"; yet somehow WE ARE some idea that we picked up out of a book. Can you NOT see the dripping irony?

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031842 - 08/21/04 09:59 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

see you are doing it just now too
you think that all these people just picked up a book read someting and beleived it straight away
i see many people in here that have experienced it for themselves without reading a book or article that is biased

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: spudamore]
    #3031851 - 08/21/04 10:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It does NOT matter where the idea came from. We are not our ideas.

i see many people in here that have experienced it for themselves without reading a book

Christianity, astrology, Tarot, I Ching, Buddhism, Mayan propecies, Atlantis; etc., are ALL borrowed ideas.

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031856 - 08/21/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i experienced everything in life without having to pick up these books but when i did it was just a confirmation that there are similar ideas floating around

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031867 - 08/21/04 10:12 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

there could be many more
instead of catagorizing people see the very person as individual
you may think i am full of B.S thats your opinion nothing i can or do will change that

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3031881 - 08/21/04 10:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

spudamore said:
i experienced everything in life without having to pick up these books but when i did it was just a confirmation that there are similar ideas floating around

I am going to have to agree with this. What I learned from the very few sources of spiritual inspiration I've picked up is that my underlying belief system was actually logical and that there was no reason to supress it. All I needed was some confirmation.. once I found it, I just ran with the ball, which I already had.

(FYI, so I don't get lumped into the two great piles, ((skeptic and believer)) the beliefs I speak of are ones as simple as "all forms of life should be respected" and the general concept of spreading love.)

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3031887 - 08/21/04 10:19 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Christianity, astrology, Tarot, I Ching, Buddhism, Mayan propecies, Atlantis; etc., are ALL borrowed ideas. "

that may be true...but following that logic, it all had to come from somewhere originally, didn't it? that would be an interesting thing to investigate!!!!

also, just because the ideas are borrowed doesn't make them any less relevant to us.

sure the bible may be filled with what you may deem as "outlandish" but if you read in between the lines, much can be integrated and experienced from these borrowed words. isn't that what matters?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031894 - 08/21/04 10:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What matters in this thread is that we are not these ideas.

If you say 2+2=5 and I say no, it is 4; how has anyone been belittled?

also, just because the ideas are borrowed doesn't make them any less relevant to us.

The 10% of brain usage myth has been rebutted times too numerous to mention; yet it keeps coming back BECAUSE IT IS A BORROWED idea like many others that don't appear to be.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3031900 - 08/21/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"The 10% of brain usage myth has been rebutted times too numerous to mention; yet it keeps coming back BECAUSE IT IS A BORROWED idea like many others that don't appear to be. "

hmmm..thank you    :thumbup:

"What matters in this thread is that we are not these ideas."

true, because if we realize that we are not these ideas, then we don't have to spend time using our ego to defend them, as if we are defending ourselves.  hence, getting offended when an idea is debunked.  am I on par??

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031918 - 08/21/04 10:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

true, because if we realize that we are not these ideas, then we don't have to spend time using our ego to defend them, as if we are defending ourselves. hence, getting offended when an idea is debunked. am I on par??

Bingo!

Taking this a step further (if we dare): No words are inherently offensive; is only that we choose to be or not be offended.

I remember someone in the real-world many decades ago trying to provoke me into a fight with an insult. The insult was false, so I could no more get angry than if the antagonist said the sky was green. If the insult was true, then how could I be angry at the truth?

--------------------

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3031931 - 08/21/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Its not if an idea is "borrowed" ,its what you do with it (the practical implications).

My DNA is borrowed,my English language is borrowed so im my Greek.That doesnt mean though that i am not looking into them and checking them if they are true.....

So ,in order to keep it real one must see how all the knowledge he/she has can be put into practice for the best of all

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Psiloman]
    #3031940 - 08/21/04 10:49 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Taking this a step further (if we dare): No words are inherently offensive; is only that we choose to be or not be offended.

I remember someone in the real-world many decades ago trying to provoke me into a fight with an insult. The insult was false, so I could no more get angry than if the antagonist said the sky was green. If the insult was true, then how could I be angry at the truth?"

That is true.If someones insult bears no truth i am not offended,my ego may not like for example being called a "mother fucker" (since i never sex with my mama at least) but down to the core iw ould not be offended.If someone speaks the truth and the truth is nasty for me my ego might try to rebel.Deep inside i will know that he/she is correct.So then my task is to tame my ego and keep it under control (which i rarely succeed to do)

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3031944 - 08/21/04 10:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Taking this a step further (if we dare): No words are inherently offensive; is only that we choose to be or not be offended."

ahh....ok, well said.  sclorch made a post before about this
but it didn't really sink in.  the reason I got hung up was because I was focusing on the intent of the person trying to insult another.

for example,  I could say "fuck you buddy" to a friend, and he wouldn't be offended if I said it jokingly.  my intent was not to insult, and if I displayed this correctly then he wouldn't even think about it.  but on the other hand, if I "I say fuck you buddy"  to him, and meant to insult im (using a different tone)  then he would at least think about it.

i see now that best thing to do is to not get offended at all, and stay neutral and grounded, even when the intent is to harm.  cause like you said..."The insult was false, so I could no more get angry than if the antagonist said the sky was green."

I would also like to point out "If the insult was true, then how could I be angry at the truth? "

wow, lots of thinking on this one.  we all can get mad at the truth through ego (if the truth doesn't go our way) but if we actually live by what we preach then getting mad about it wouldn't be an option.  besides, when does getting mad ever help further discussion?

very cool :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Analyzing The Poster [Re: Psiloman]
    #3031945 - 08/21/04 10:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So then my task is to tame my ego and keep it under control (which i rarely succeed to do)

As evidenced by your crazy photo - heh heh!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Agar

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology