Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Firewalking revisited
    #3031317 - 08/21/04 01:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Apparently by using meditative and positive belief techniques, some people can walk over extremely hot objects with no harm.

If this were true, why must they practically zoom over the coals? (hint: basic physics and heat transference). Why can't these same "magicians" believe that they can stand still and allow full heat transference?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Firewalking revisited [Re: Swami]
    #3031446 - 08/21/04 02:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Recently I walked over coals carrying a stuffed chicken and a toddy. When I emerged on the other side I had a roast chicken and a hot toddy. My feet were a little toasty but undamaged.

I can't speak for anyone else's experience however.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3031452 - 08/21/04 02:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Swami this "mind over matter" thing only goes so far... which is why our bodies decay and die

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Firewalking revisited [Re: Strumpling]
    #3031457 - 08/21/04 02:43 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

So if I touch a hot steel plate for a fraction of a second without burning (as per standard thermodynamics), then what, exactly, have I accomplished besides self-deceit?

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3031491 - 08/21/04 03:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

you have experienced exactly what you just said.... duh

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3031587 - 08/21/04 04:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

have you used your so called shopping method in this situation. please go there with an unprepared mind and walk fast through 10 or 20 metres of hot coals
would love to see the pictures of your feet afterwards

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Firewalking revisited [Re: spudamore]
    #3031592 - 08/21/04 04:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have paid good money (Tony Robbins and others) to firewalk and have been "taught" to believe that walking on coals unharmed is due to a mental shift. Do you sincerely believe that everybody can "learn" these "amazing" powers in an hour by simply thinking cool thoughts?

Why can't this same "mental shift" be applied to walking on water or standing on hot coals?

would love to see the pictures of your feet afterwards

You would love to see me harmed (a most spiritual thought) or am I misinterpreting your intent?

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031605 - 08/21/04 04:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

nope not at all just wondering what they would look like afterwards when you have walked on coals with an uprepared mind

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031606 - 08/21/04 04:19 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Nice disingenuous answer. If it were mere curiosity, then my feet would not be a prerequisite.

No answer on my main question I see.

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031616 - 08/21/04 04:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

well you assumed that i wanted to see you harmed, but i don't.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans have paid good money (Tony Robbins and others) to firewalk and have been "taught" to believe that walking on coals unharmed is due to a mental shift. Do you sincerely believe that everybody can "learn" these "amazing" powers in an hour by simply thinking cool thoughts?

not just by thinking of cool thoughts there is or can be alot more to it then that. various methods are done
and as i suggested before you obviously haven't used your shopping method. with an unprepared mind just take on step on hot coals and see how burnt ones feet get

Why can't this same "mental shift" be applied to walking on water or standing on hot coals?

how about buddhist monks putting melted lead on their tongue
how do you explain that and not get serverly burnt????

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031619 - 08/21/04 04:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

how do you explain that and not get serverly burnt?

I can explain anything without getting severely burnt.

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031620 - 08/21/04 04:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

you know what i mean but still avoid the question

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031629 - 08/21/04 04:48 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You want me to explain something that neither you nor I have witnessed. No one could survive more than a tiny drop of molten lead poured into their mouths without serious tissue damage. End of story.

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031633 - 08/21/04 04:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i have witnessed it but you'll most likely dismiss it anyways, but i know what i saw.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031643 - 08/21/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

or on the other end of the scale is tibetean buddhist practicing meditation wrapped in wet blackets in the nepal mountains. now this is well documented. they don't suffer any discomfort, acutally create heat within their body

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #3031911 - 08/21/04 08:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Let me give you an "insiders" opinon.

Here in Greece there are some Pagan rituals that have assumed christian significance and nomeclature.One of the is firewalking at the celebration of Saint George (i think thats the name of the saint).Huge fires are lit up and when all is left is coal people spread it and start performing feats in it such as running through it,dancing,even jumping around in the pit and kicking coal around.I have seen people doing it and i decided to participate.

At first i run thought the pit quickling muttering to myself "oh shit,now youve done it".Some adrenaline sweat and courage later,i found my self running through the coal pit a dozen times.A grandpa was doing the same but he was dancing as well in the coal pit with small jumps.He offered me a cup of sweet red wine and after a while he told me to join hm...Well...A mild dose of a psychoactive (alcohol),a coal pit,my naked feed and a grandpa urging me to "dance"...So i did! Let me tell you i was sweating and i was high from the endorphines like a kite.Jumping around and kicking coal i was feeling the heat,but this got me even higher at the point that i flirte with the idea of grabbing some coal ans showreing myself with them...Im glad i did not do it but such was the high! Ecstatic!

The next morning i inspected my feet and i had minor burns ,nothing to worry about.

Now science can possibly explain it and NO i WOULD NOT like a drop of molten lead in my tongue im sure it would destroy my tongue..I am aware that full heat transeferce did not occur during my dance.If it ocured i would have been aware of it so the doctors tryng to heal my feet .Endorphines helped not feel some of the pain,and that glasss of wine gve me some courage.Scientifically explainable? Yes,i have no problem with that.What was trully mystical was the way i felt,a trully divine experience which can be reduced to some substances being secreted wild in my brain and bloodstream because of my courageous/foolish behaviour but the explanation does exactly what it says.It offers a better understanding of what happened that night,why and how it happend.Let me tell you that a scientific explanation takes nothiing away from the elation one feels! (Of course wouldnt bother the grandpa with the thermodynamics of it,he said it was the saints power,i say it was thermodynamics and my endocrine system but we were both lifted on the same plane...)

By the way Swami,if you are interested to see how locals perform it or even taking part in it you could visit Greece during the time they do it.Villagers are pretty friendly and they will offer you hospitality,some nice wine and of course the chance to participate if you want.No,its not an invitation to severy burn your feet,that would not be hospitality.By observation on how they do it and their advice one can spent an ecstatic primal evening with no serious damage done to his/her feet.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031932 - 08/21/04 08:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

While seemingly similar, the mechanisms are totally different between firewalking and enduring extreme cold and cannot be compared.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Firewalking revisited [Re: Psiloman]
    #3031942 - 08/21/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

What IS of interest is that historical firewalking rituals around the world generally occur near active or once-active volcanoes.

Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like a "cool" experience! :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
    #3031948 - 08/21/04 08:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i think so it works on teh same princibles, all of the mind. both are extreme. how much heat transference do you think that you would get if you had to walk through a 10 metre pit of hot coals???

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3031949 - 08/21/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

To be literall it has a "hot " experience!

Could you elaborate more on your last statement about rituals near one active volcanoes? Has it got someting to do with some qualitites that volcanic rocks in the soil there have ,or did the eruption and "lava,coal fires" all around inspire such a behaviour?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031961 - 08/21/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Your guess is as good as mine as these rituals usually date back hundreds, if not thousands of years, but I would guess your second point is probably more accurate.

I envision some priest coming up with a ceremony to take away the fear of the villagers after an eruption or lava flow.

Check with your relatives and ask them what they think and check a geological map to see if there was a nearby volcano.

--------------------

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3031971 - 08/21/04 09:05 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I will do so! The custom is well localised so it wouldnt be so difficult finding info on the geological background there.It is also very interesting that we have some volcanic islands in Greece and they are known to have still active volcanoes,and when i say active ,i mean they were active for a long time and even documented by Ancient Greek historians.Would be interesting to see if they have that custom there or what do the locals think of firewalking...

Nice one!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3031982 - 08/21/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Greeks are also famous for their firewater; namely Metaxa and Ouzo. Drinker beware!

--------------------

OfflinePsiloman
Male
    #3031996 - 08/21/04 09:20 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hehehe...Ok for Ouzo,but i did not expect you to know Metaxa! A nice drink though if drunk in moderation...

Ouzo is "somewhat" a relative of of Absinthe (not implying wormwood presence,we use other flavors like liquorice but the method made is tis the same).

There are others as well...Try tsipouro (like ouzo but stronger) and the Cretan Tsikoudia and Raki with some honey inside...Now thats fire water,you can set it on flames!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3032002 - 08/21/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hehehe...Ok for Ouzo,but i did not expect you to know Metaxa!

Swami nose all and sieze all.

--------------------

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#3034065 - 08/21/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"Greeks are also famous for their firewater; namely Metaxa and Ouzo. Drinker beware!"

Actually, from what I've heard of Ouzo..

no, wait, yes beware, or at least prepare waking up badly bruised and even more confused in the morning.

Walking on coals is a simple thing. It's not very different than walking across a hot blacktop parking lot. Hotter? Maybe, but your feet are also dirty on coals. If you'd smear your feet with ash or dirt and walk onto that parking lot, you could stand still a lot longer.. even longer if you normally walk with no shoes on. Blisters and calluses win.

Staying warm in the cold is very different -- it's not a simple physical problem.
I don't believe there's been much testing done, scientific testing, of those monks, however.
A simple explanation would simply be that they have learned to control their body's metabolism, and increase it greatly. Such things can be learned, they take only concentration and patience.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]