Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Horses and Cubes (quick question)
    #3028866 - 08/20/04 04:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I live in Florida and my town is known for Equestrian. I think it might even be the number one location for Equestrian in the United States. There is a lot of stables and horses around. I'm just wondering how easily it would be to find Cubes or any psycolibe mushrooms growing around? We just went to some cow fields and we couldn't find any. We found lots of other species but no cubes or pan subs.

Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Horses and Cubes (quick question) [Re: LthirdSeyeD]
    #3028879 - 08/20/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Cubes tend to grow in stable shavings but not directly off horse shit itself. Good luck. I suggest you hit up some cow fields after a good heavy rain.

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

#3028893 - 08/20/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yea in the fields I saw a lot of Galerina's I believe. They had white gills and I thought they might be cubes from far away. But when I got up to them they were a light color, and the ring around the stem was white so I figured they were posinous and just left them. But I found many little ones that I thought might be Pan Subs but they didnt bruise...and they were very hard and dry. The other side of the field was flooded so I figured there wouldnt be any shrooms around it. The areas that were flooded when they drain out over the weekend will there be shrooms growing from the area, or did the heavy rain kill it?

What can I expect growing in horse pastures?

Edited by LthirdSeyeD (08/20/04 05:03 PM)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3029433 - 08/20/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Galerinas grow from wood and have dark gills.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3029577 - 08/20/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey third eye

Yes when a field floods it kills the mycelium in the cow patties.. ive noticed that if a field floods and the water sinks to the ground within a day or two than the pies will still be good. but if the patties are submerged for longer than that then the mycelium drowns and dies.

the cow pasture you are finding mushrooms in is definately good for cubes and/or copes/subbs though. as long as you're finding mushrooms of some-kind in the field than it is a shroom-field.

with the horse pastures, you want to look in the stables and stuff, in a mixture of horse dung, horse urine, and stable shavings (finely shaved wood).

and the only active Psilocybe mushroom you will find in a florida pasture is really just Psilocybe cubensis.
-i have come across Psilocybe coprophila a lot also, but they are not active.

There are roughly about 6 non-active species of Panaeolus mushrooms to be found in florida pastures.

Panaeolus subbalteatus is active, and found occassionally in cow and horse pastures, but ive only found it in cow pastures. sometimes just one or two subbs, but last winter a field i used to pick tons of copelandia's off of was littered with tons of subbs, it was odd. some of the subbs grew directly from the cow manure, but most of them grew just in the grass in manure enriched soil. there were thousands of them. id picked that field for years, all times of the year, hundreds of times actually, and never found a subb there until that winter.
-other fields subbs seem to be rare from my experience. and only 1 or 2 to be found, which is odd.

and we also have Copelandia mushrooms in our pastures, copes don't grow from horse dung though, not that ive seen yet.

GG

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: Horses and Cubes (1 more question) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3030539 - 08/21/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey greatone

Thanks for all the advice, I've learned so much from your posts back to me on this thread and many other threads.

One quick question I see a Shroom and think it looks like it could be a cube or sub and it has white gills than its definatley wrong and posionous? It has to have dark gills almost black gills? CUz that will save me tons of time and number of shrooms I bag when I go into fields.

Edited by LthirdSeyeD (08/21/04 07:08 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification