Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Karo Jar--okay? *pics*
    #3028669 - 08/20/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all.  A pint of Karo water was innoculated with a few colonized rye berries.  These berries were dunked in a 35% h2o2/65%water solution for a few seconds, then placed in the karo jar. 
    There was some talk on the board recently regarding contams when putting entire grain kernels in the karo jar.  Anyway, about 10 days later, the jars looks like this: 

This is a first time out with Karo.  Lookin' okay?  And, if one were to save these for later use, when do you know to put them in the fridge, and what temps are okay for a relatively long storage (is several weeks too long for the myc to stay viable?).
      Thanks all! :thumbup: :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Karo Jar--okay? *pics* [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3029223 - 08/20/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

WOW....that alot of mycellium in there.  One of the most colonized jars ive seen.  Which may not be such a good thing.  The problem with getting alot of colonization like that is that you used up alot of the nutrients that are in the water/karo mix.  When your storing these for any length of time they need nutrients to keep eating to stay alive and vigorous.  Ive seen jars kept at about 45-50 degrees to slow down the growth.  I say your a bit overdue for this.  But given the right conditions ive seen jars kept up to a month or so.  But thats only how long IVE seen them kept.  They may be able to be stored longer.  In your case id say you wont be able to store it for too long because of lack of nutrients.  But ya never know.  It might surprise us.  :cool:

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Loc: Center of the Known Unive...
    #3029470 - 08/20/04 07:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you waited too long?........increadible growth! are you sure those are Karo pics? I would ingest them right now! you can storem in the fridge.......
peace

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3029532 - 08/20/04 07:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

those look great. good job. if u shake the jjar up though itll make a more liquid and less clumpy culture, which can clog your syringe.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Re: Karo Jar--okay? *pics* [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3029557 - 08/20/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

4hodmt said:
those look great. good job. if u shake the jjar up though itll make a more liquid and less clumpy culture, which can clog your syringe.

shake what?    those pics are a solid mass.......get a big ass needle on your syringe.......

peace

:eek: :eek: :eek:

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Karo Jar--okay? *pics* [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #3029962 - 08/20/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies.  I think maybe the pictures may be misleading.  There is backlighting in the pic that may give the appearance of a thick, mucuous-like, viscous liquid inside.  In fact, it's a bit watery.  It's cloudy when shaken (those are bolts in there) and these little white dots swarm.  It's like a winter globe that you shake, really.  If the jars are allowed to sit, the white bits settle to the bottom, albeit slowly.
    So, if anyone sees this post for clarification, any ideas?  They're in the fridge now.  Thanks again everyone! :grin:

GB

--------------------

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
    #3030010 - 08/20/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you did it......suck it up and innoculate......or? enjoy a myc martini......but the fridge will be good till the nutes run dry.......

peace

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Karo Jar--okay? *pics* [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #3030234 - 08/20/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks.  The problem is these were back ups.  Experiments, really.  AFOAF already has 7 quarts of popcorn that were g2g'd, and amazingly are coming through fine.  :wink:  Now, these Karos are coming along and he doesn't need them! :blush:    Anyway, so he's going to try to keep them nice and cool and see how they end up in several weeks.  If they're not viable, well, hell.  He thinks he can manage a spore print or two down the line.  Thanks, Psylly.

GB

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation