Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewesternscars
Stranger
Trichocereus Pachanoi Question
    #3027661 - 08/20/04 08:25 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I recently aquired a San Pedro cactus and decided to attempt harvesting it. Though, I have a potential problem upon my hands regarding the process I decided to partake in. As opposed to going with a more "mainstream" form of extraction, I went with what I believe to be a lesser-known method of cactus harvesting, which went as follows:

Take the original cactus and make your cutting from it, cut the top two to three inches of the cutting (assuming this is/was the tip top of the cactus) for prosterity reasons and dry this cutting out for re-rooting. You're then left with a mid-section cutting of cactus, divide this in half and then cut into strips and separate from the woody center of the innards. This yields a cucumber like wedge almost. Take these wedges, throw them in a freezer bag, and freeze them overnight. The next day, thaw them out to where they become a soppy kind of oozing slice (I'm told that this shock process of sorts helps break the cell walls and has a positive effect upon the alkaloids...). Once the slices have been thawed out, you may blend them to a relatively fine mush. This goopy mush may then be spread out on a baking pan lined with wax paper. The mush is them supposed to dry out and become very easy to crumble into a powder substance that can be safely stored for awhile in a mason jar etc. until its ready for use. The majority of this method is adopted from the book <i>Psychadelic Shamanism</i> by <i>Jim DeKrone</i>.

As with this being my first extraction attempt with this form of ethnobotanical, there were a few small problems, but overall I thought it went pretty smoothly, and I loved the idea of a powder from the cactus as it should be easier to stomach than fresh cactus (which I did try and indeed tasted pretty vile). So I laid the goop out in my baking pan and set it in the oven at 185-95 for two hours. Amazingly, this didn't dry it anywhere close to completely, but I figured it should then be fine on its own to just normally air dry. Assuming this I set it up top my closet (higher elevations I hear are good for this, albeit just another five feet...) and let it set for about four days now.

The problem, it is still not dry, and I'm pretty sure that some areas of the spread have started to mold, which obviously isn't good at all. So, I'm afraid that I have wasted part of a cactus, and, shall inherently be denied of my sought after experience. The question is, would it perhaps be alright to cut out the visible areas of possible mold and throw it back in the oven for a longer time to hopefully completely dry it out without and mold-repercussions? Or, should I just give up on this batch and try either a better method (such as mjshroomer's method which I am aware of, and might try next time) or the same method only with more oven-drying time.

Finally, if anyone knows at what temparature the mescaline in the cactus is 'denatured' at, that would be a big help of extra info for me. I know that it is destoryed at a relatively low temparature, and I know the exact combustion temp, yet not an exact denaturing temp.

I understand this is a lot to sift though, so, thanks to those whom reply.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Trichocereus Pachanoi Question [Re: westernscars]
    #3028061 - 08/20/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I'm afraid that I have wasted part of a cactus, and, shall inherently be denied of my sought after experience. The question is, would it perhaps be alright to cut out the visible areas of possible mold and throw it back in the oven for a longer time to hopefully completely dry it out without and mold-repercussions? Or, should I just give up on this batch and try either a better method (such as mjshroomer's method which I am aware of, and might try next time) or the same method only with more oven-drying time.

You'll be perfectly fine cutting the molded parts away. And mescaline is pretty stable until 120C, that's all i know.

You may want to read some reports concerning cactus powder, and its ability to increase volume by rehydration inside your stomach. Much better to make a tea/syrup extraction AFAIK.

You can still use the molded cactus for an a/b extraction, if you don't want to throw it away.

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus Pachanoi Question [Re: esin]
    #3029053 - 08/20/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You'll be perfectly fine cutting the molded parts away.

I disagree, unless you know for a fact that the contaminant is harmless, I wouldn't ingest. Even if you think you've got rid of it all!!! Put this one down to experience.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #3034731 - 08/21/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I personally would cut away the mold and try to salvage the rest of the project. I'm not saying that you should do this as it could possibly lead to sickness.

Just for reference:
-Use a heating pad and a fan to dry your cactus mush. The heat will help the water evaporate and the fan will vent off the vapor and blow dry air over the project.
-It will take some time for this to dry. I mean days. Cactus flesh is designed to hold water in. It doesn't release it readily. Find a way to set this up and forget it.
-Make the layer of cactus mush as thin as you can get it.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by Ekstaza (08/22/04 11:23 AM)

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
    #3035570 - 08/22/04 06:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with the heating pan (low!) and fan... and why not make syrup from the dry material? You can reduce it alot and just gulp it and wash your mouth with some tastefull liquid... Have fun!

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom