Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
14 year old tells Blair the truth
    #3026583 - 08/19/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The 14-year-old sister of a teenage soldier killed in Iraq made an impassioned plea yesterday to Tony Blair to withdraw British troops.

Maxine Gentle, whose brother Gordon, aged 19, was killed in June by a roadside bomb in Basra, delivered a letter to Downing Street in which she criticised the Prime Minister for dispatching troops to "a war over oil and money".

Soon after arriving in Downing Street, the teenager and her mother, Rose, stormed out of an impromptu meeting with John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, accusing him of "talking rubbish". Mother and daughter said they had made a "forceful" statement to Mr Prescott during the brief meeting.

In her letter, Maxine told the Prime Minister: "My big brother died at the age of 19, and what for? A war over oil and money, that's what I think the war is all about. There was no such thing as weapons of 'mass destruction'.

"I think that you should withdraw all of our soldiers from Iraq. After all, it's not our war, it's America's. So why did we, the British, have to get involved?"

Maxine and her family are the latest in a series of relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq to question the role of troops there. They were furious that a handwritten letter from the Prime Minister expressing sorrow at his death arrived only on Tuesday, seven weeks after his death in June.

Mr Blair, who writes to relatives of all soldiers killed in Iraq, told the family: "You and Mr Gentle are in my thoughts and prayers. I believe what Gordon and his fellow soldiers are doing out in Iraq is vital not just for the change necessary in that country, but vital for the security and stability of this country. It is a heavy responsibility to send young soldiers into war and I can assure you I did not take the decision lightly."

Mrs Gentle handed back the letter in disgust when she led a small delegation of anti-war campaigners to Downing Street. She and her daughter, from Pollok, Glasgow, were invited to speak to Mr Prescott, who is deputising for Mr Blair.

Mr Prescott apologised for the delay in posting Mr Blair's letter, blaming administrative problems.Mrs Gentle said she demanded a meeting with the Prime Minister, but walked out within minutes: "He [Mr Prescott] did not know why I had just received it [the letter]. I then walked out. He was just talking a lot of rubbish."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=553303

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: Xlea321]
    #3027115 - 08/20/04 02:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wahhh.

What a tear jerker that was..

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3027304 - 08/20/04 05:16 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well you know, 14 year olds always have the right answers and always know what exactly is going on in the world.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #3027322 - 08/20/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The Independant printed this, how sad. I usually enjoy reading it.

This story belongs in Womens Own.... :sad:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3027530 - 08/20/04 07:49 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

> well you know, 14 year olds always have the right answers and always know what exactly is going on in the world

I was sure I knew everything when I was 14... funny how wisdom comes with age... (not that I consider the actions in Iraq wise)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #3027639 - 08/20/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

st0nedphucker said:
The Independant printed this, how sad. I usually enjoy reading it.

This story belongs in Womens Own.... :sad:

Indeed. I think they did themselves a disservice with that article, wheeling out childrens views (parents views with a dumb, cute face) is sad.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3028018 - 08/20/04 10:09 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

well you know, 14 year olds always have the right answers and always know what exactly is going on in the world.

In this case she clearly does.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3028027 - 08/20/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

>> 14 year olds always have the right answers and always know what exactly is going on in the world.
> In this case she clearly does.

:whatever:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: Seuss]
    #3028035 - 08/20/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Can you tell us where she's wrong?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3028259 - 08/20/04 11:18 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I second Seuss' post.

She probably can't even find Iraq on a map.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3028263 - 08/20/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:

Only if they agree with Alex.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: silversoul7]
    #3028307 - 08/20/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hmmm...good point.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3028376 - 08/20/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps Alex finds kindred intellects in 14 year olds, hence the affection for their opinions.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #3028436 - 08/20/04 12:16 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The saddest part of this article is that the family was pissed that it took the government 6 weeks to get the letter about their son's death. I mean WTF, why the hell would you pissed at that, your son fucking died.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3028541 - 08/20/04 12:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, when we get older and wiser, we accept the lies of our governments and the useless deaths of loved ones.  :rolleyes:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: Swami]
    #3028646 - 08/20/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

:whatever:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3028651 - 08/20/04 01:29 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

you continue to ignore that truth is not directly dependant on age.

She voices a valid concern for WHATEVER purpose- pointless waste of life.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: vampirism]
    #3028658 - 08/20/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

you continue to ignore that truth is not directly dependant on age.

When did I say she was lying? Don't look for arguments that aren't there.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: 14 year old tells Blair the truth [Re: Swami]
    #3028760 - 08/20/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The kids got heart:

Maxine Gentle's letter to Tony Blair
20 August 2004

Here is a copy of the letter sent to the Prime Minister by Maxine Gentle, the sister of soldier Gordon who died in Iraq.

To Prime Minister Tony Blair,

My name is Maxine Gentle and I am 14 years old. I am the sister of Fusilier Gordon Gentle who died in the war in Iraq on the 28th June 2004. I want my thoughts and feelings to be heard and known.

My feelings are that I think you are rubbish at your job. You don't care about the British public, armed forces or anyone in fact.

My big brother died at the age of 19, and what for? A war over oil and money, that's what I think the war is all about. There was no such thing as weapons of "mass destruction", if there were Saddam Hussein would have used them at the start of the war.

I think that you should withdraw all of our soldiers from Iraq. After all, it is not our war, it's America's. So why did we, the British, have to get involved? I think that you just don't want to get on the wrong side of George Bush.

My big brother meant the world to me. I looked up to him with pride because he made something of himself. He was well known, just like you, but everyone liked and loved him, not like you, because I have no respect for you, and nor do a lot of other people I know.

Gordon had only passed out in April, and yet by May YOU sent him and many others to a war zone.

What I find strange is that in order to be a qualified plumber or electrician you need to train for 3 or 4 years, but to be a qualified soldier, and learn to KILL someone, you only need to train for SIX MONTHS! The people that you have sent out there are still young; they have the rest of their lives to live, just like Gordon did.

My family is still hurting badly and so am I. To you he was just another number clown. From the minute that we found out Gordon was going over there we were all worried about him, right up until the minute we found out it was Gordon that was killed by the Iraqis.

We are all hurting badly, but I don't just blame Gordon's death on the Iraqis that made the roadside bomb, I blame YOU as well because it is your fault that our soldiers are over there in the first place, by agreeing with George Bush that we HAD to go to war, when we didn't!

As I said everyone is hurting badly right now, but you would not know that because your sons are all tucked up nicely in bed at night, at the same time as there are mums and dads who still have sons over there, who can't sleep at night, wondering if their loved ones are coming home or are they going to be the next ones to be killed.

You would not know how we all feel, because you're at home at night with your wife and son watching them growing up, but we will never know what Gordon would have been like in years to come.

It is okay for you sitting there with all your money and power, ruining people's lives by the decisions YOU make. I don't care who knows how I feel about you. All you care about is things that benefit you. All you and your new "best Friend" George Bush care about is Iraq's oil.

My big brother died in the early hours of the morning, and yet, when you and George Bush went on live TV in the afternoon to hand the country back over, you both stood there that afternoon smiling and acting like one big happy family when you both knew well that a British soldier had died that morning.

Nothing you can do or say will change my mind, or the fact that I am hurting badly inside. I cry myself to sleep most of the time because Gordon has gone and is never coming back.

Quite frankly I would have loved to meet you myself and tell you all this personally. But if I met you I would not shake your hand. This is my personal feelings towards you and George Bush, but I have less respect for you than him because YOU are the British Prime Minister, well supposed to be, and I am British, although sometimes I am ashamed to admit to being British when I have got such a bad prime minister as you.

I hope you have pleasure reading this as I have had pleasure writing it.

Yours Sincerely

Maxine Gentle

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3028774 - 08/20/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I second Seuss' post.

Then I'll ask you what I asked him. Can you point out where she's wrong?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale