Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close
    #3023468 - 08/19/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Dear friends, Since 1999 I have had mushroom John;s shroom world onthe internet. In cotober, The shroomery offered me free space for my site.

AS I noted to all on many ocassions I am totally computer stupid.

Three months ago, the shroomry switched to something call SSL.

Now I find that to be able to access my site, in June, I was told i needed to get an upgrade for my Cute FTP since the new SSL program would not support cute ftp 4.2.

So I upgraded for 19.00 dollars to cute FTP 6. it took Globalscape three months to turn onmy upgrade as they said they had my check but could not find it.

Then I tried to connect and it wouldn't, so I wrote to anno and both Anno and Vampire said I needced to establish a static IP so I could send images back and forth, delete and add new articles and images and removed older outdated info such as the exotic forays and Cambodian data since I will no longer be going to SE Asia.

I called my internet connectors and they told me it would only cost me $5.00 a month to add a static IP to my dial up account.

Now they sent me an email saying that it would be $100.00 a month for my static IP.

Here is the ionformation I received from NWLink,

I wrote this letter to Anno this morning about this problem.

Quote:

HEllo Anno, well it looks like this may soon be the end of my website on the internet.

Since you have switched to SSL, I just found out that I cannot get a static IP on a dial up account.

Here is what my internet service provider wrote me this morning in an email and then i called him.

"we cannot add a static IP to a dialup account without assigning a dedicated port. The cost to do so is extreme for a dialup account, and I know that it will be more than you are willing to pay. $100.00 a month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was only paying that much for a year with Yage.net for 100 megabytes of space for both my art site and my shroom site, until Andy hit me with that bandwidth thing.

I appreciated you guys giving me the space but if i cannot work on changing , deleting or adding new textual info and pictures than i have no need to have the site.

I am seriously considering closing mushroom John;s shroom world from the web.

I still have my art site in France and no problem.

But if I am unable to work on this one why even have it on the web.

I will considered this matter for a few weeks and see if I can ome up with an alternative so I can work on the site.

John

Thanks for all the help.

So that is my problem.

Maybe I should just make a CD and sell the cd of my site.

I will lewt everyone know of my descision before the end of SEptember.
mj

and have a shroomy day

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3023976 - 08/19/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

First off, I would punch anyone who bought a cd of your site. No offense.
Second, I think that SSL bullshit is just that, bullshit. They can make your site work for you if they want to. Tell them to get off thier ass and fix it...they are nerds.

Best of luck.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: tak]
    #3025190 - 08/19/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Tikkity tak pack rat.. looky looky heah!

We have implemented SSL-only connections for our own protection.  We are only allowing a safe list of IPs to connect directly to our boxes.  Why?  Because there are obviously many people out to get us, as evidenced by the recent hacking attempt over the past weekend!  As such, in order to allow Mushroom John to login to our boxes, he must be able to provide us with a static IP.  My recommendation would be for him to grab a broadband connection and ditch the dialup, but that is a decision for him to make.

Additionally -- and I'm not a tech expert by a long shot, just relaying what our experts did tell us -- it should be noted that had his dialup used a class C IP scheme, we probably would've just opened up his range.. however, they use a class B and jump all around so it would be folly for us to open up such a huge chunk of IPs to our boxes.

So Mj, why not just get a static IP broadband connection?  Would probably be cheaper than the $100/month + monthly service fee for dialup.. not to mention a helluva lot faster! :rocket:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: geokills]
    #3025711 - 08/19/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, John, Geokills knows what he's talking about - see about getting a DSL connection to the net - you will have a static IP, and it will be a lot less than 100$ a month, for sure!

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
    #3029207 - 08/20/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi John, what Geo says is correct we simply are forced to secure access to our servers due to malicious attacks on our website.

Security is a big concern of ours and we definately don't want to force the closure of your website, so please look into the cable or DSL modem option as this will make life easier for you, it should not cost more than $20-30 USD a month.

If there is anything I can do to help you keep the site up please let me know.

Cheers,

Thor..

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: Thor]
    #3031106 - 08/21/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was wondering if someone with broadband could set up an ftp, that john could upload to, then they can transfer the data to his site?

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: Alien]
    #3031187 - 08/21/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>I called my internet connectors and they told me it would only cost me $5.00 a
>month to add a static IP to my dial up account.
>Now they sent me an email saying that it would be $100.00 a month for my static IP.

Could you change your internet provider to one that offers cheaper fixed IPs?
Can you PM me the name of the internet provider you are using now?

>so please look into the cable or DSL modem option as this will make life easier for
>you, it should not cost more than $20-30 USD a month.

Or if this is too much for you, there are many hosting companies who can host your site for ~$10 a month.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: Anno]
    #3031214 - 08/21/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree anno. MJ is not very puter smart, it would take a phone chat with him to help him out. Someone should volunteer to help him, I'm sure it can all be worked out. Maybe even someone who lives close to him can help.

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #3033138 - 08/21/04 03:30 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Anno,

What about using SFTP with a registered RSA key?
Or (If your FTP server allows it) SSL-FTP with a registered SSL certificate to authenticate against?

The other possibility would be for MJ to use a dynamic DNS service allowing him to update the DNS when he signs on and then validate against the dynamic DNS.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: Cyber]
    #3033574 - 08/21/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

> What about using SFTP with a registered RSA key?

Is that like with PGP? Just curious. Sounds like a good idea. I use PGP, I can help on that if he needs it. I use RSA legacy with IDEA Algorithm, very good, but many ways you can go with Algorithms.

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#3034217 - 08/21/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

SFTP is a sub-function of SSH

http://www.openssh.com/

Quote:

SSH supports 3DES, Blowfish, AES and arcfour as encryption algorithms. These are patent free.
Triple DES is a time proven and well understood cipher that provides strong encryption.
Blowfish is a fast block cipher invented by Bruce Schneier that can be used by people that require faster encryption.
AES is the US Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) Advanced Encryption Standard developed as a replacement for DES. It is a fast block cipher.
Arcfour is a fast stream cipher. It is believed to be compatible with RC4[TM], a proprietary cipher of RSA Security Inc.

Encryption is started before authentication, and no passwords or other information is transmitted in the clear. Encryption is also used to protect against spoofed packets.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom John's Shroom World may soon close [Re: Cyber]
    #3034273 - 08/21/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

mj is probably lost now, hehe

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3035601 - 08/22/04 07:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If I had ben born i nthe great pyramid of Giza i would still be lost.

I got lost on ssl.

mj

Everything was so simple for five years.

Hm.. I need to add so many new shroomies to the list, dozens of new news clipings, eremove old photos add new shroom art, and better Cube, cope, samuiensis imaes, new shrooms from spain and Czwck Republic, from Japan, from NEw Guinea, etc Much Amanita work, rem,opve most of exotic forays and put more shroom articles in. I have permission for hundrds of papers by others to post them now.

so I have a lot of new info to offer, plus repairing someo f the Shroomery's ultimate shroom guide to include a few3 more items.

mj

So whayever is simplists. I alreeady paid fopt the cute FTP up-grade to 6.0/ Not to use it in the long run would be very wastedul.

mj

I am listening.

Well at least i am trying to.

have a shroomy Sunday

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

#3035864 - 08/22/04 10:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

mj, there are plenty of ppl here that will help you, your site aint going anywhere, so don't worry.

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#3035993 - 08/22/04 11:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

MJ,

There are enough people on here that know as much about this as you know about mushrooms. I am sure that a solution will be found that offers the security they need coupled with ease of use you need. This should not be a problem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale