Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Bubba Ho-Tep
    #3024707 - 08/19/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So I rented the movie, "Bubba Ho-Tep," on DVD last night, and it was cute. It was a fun little film. It's fairly low-budget, independent, film. The gist of it is that there's a 4,000 year old mummy running amuck in a retirement home sucking the souls out of old people. the twist is that the heroes of the movie are an old black guy, who thinks he's John F. Kennedy, and a retired Elvis impersonator, who thinks he's Elvis. Well, actually, he might, in fact, be Elvis, but I digress. The movie is fun, like I said, and a good way to kill a few hours, but here's what's really cool about it...

One of the DVD features is a version of the director's commentary where the guy who plays Elvis in the movie, pretends that he is really Elvis Presley (still alive and in a undisclosed location), and he spends the whole director's commentary eating popcorn, and critiquing the movie. It's like he's sitting in the chair right next to you.

Elvis rambles on about what's wrong with the movie, and how they made movies back in his day. He shares anecdotes about back when he made movies. He tells all kinds of stories, like about meeting Nixon, and he shares his opinions about all kinds of strange topics. He tells us a recipe for making peanut-butter and banana sandwiches, and he answers several cell-phone calls; one seems to be from his current girlfriend about what he's supposed to pick up at the grocery store before he comes home that night, and the other one seems to be about getting some more pharmaceuticals.

The whole thing is quite the riot. It's funny, funny, stuff. It's sort of like the director's commentary on, "Spinal Tap," where the three guys get in character and talk about the mockumentary made 20 years ago like it really happened. I really enjoy it when they do something funny with the director's commentary like that. It adds an extra level to the experience. I don't event think I would have mentioned this movie, if it wasn't for that. It's a good film, but not noteworthy.

Anyways, I recommend renting the DVD, "Bubba Ho-Tep," watching the movie, and then watching it again with the director's commentary done by "The King." It's very funny stuff. Especially, if your a fan on the Elvis phenomenon! :grin:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Bubba Ho-Tep [Re: Papaver]
    #3024731 - 08/19/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The guy who plays Elvis is the notorious Bruce Campbell. I remember reading about the movie and i think i'll have to pick it up soon.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Bubba Ho-Tep [Re: d33p]
    #3024885 - 08/19/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes and my the looks of it one, of Bruce's better attempts.

OfflineSKINNYDOGGY
synth junky

Re: Bubba Ho-Tep [Re: Papaver]
    #3025236 - 08/19/04 09:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

One of the best movies i have seen this year :grin: :thumbup: it good to see Elvis in a new film but its kinda fucked up what are government did to JFK  :thumbdown:

--------------------
Feels Like Heaven Taste Like Shit

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub