Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemudvayne

Casing question from a newbie
    #3023654 - 08/19/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

This is my first ever grow, I followed the pf tek using brf/vermiculite and my jars are about 50% colonized right now.  I've been doing a lot of reading on this website, mostly in the growing mushrooms section and in the forums but I've never posted.  Well today I need some opinions.  I've decided that I want to case my jars instead of birthing them into a PMP.  Here are my questions:
1) Do casings really increase your yield?
2) How many fully colonized jars do you need for a casing (I only have 2 jars)
3) Once you case the cakes the faq says you should wait until the myc. begins to penetrate the casing layer before you initiate pinning.  Well during this time do you put the casing back into the incubator or is room temp. good enough.
4) Do you have to wait until the myc. penetrates the casing before introducing light?
5) Is it really necessary to put your casing in a fruiting chamber or will using the casing container itself be enough?
6) Does the casing container have to be opaque so light can enter through the sides?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm a curious newbie and I really want this grow to work  :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: Casing question from a newbie [Re: mudvayne]
    #3023681 - 08/19/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

1. yes
2. you can use as many jars as you want. More is usually better though.
3. depending on how big the casing is. small casings should be put in the incubator, larger ones can be at room temp or a incubator set to a lower temp than the jars were colonized at
4. No, but the light won't penetrate into the casing layer very far, so there is reallt no reason to.
5. That all depends on the casing container.
6. the casing container doesn't have to be opaque (not clear) but it helps cause all of your shrooms will grow from the top where you want em. Otherwise they might start to rot and cause contams.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Offlinemudvayne

Re: Casing question from a newbie [Re: no-tone]
    #3023777 - 08/19/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Your answers have been more than helpful. Just a few more. Wet the vermiculite and place in the microwave for 10 minutes - won't this dry the verm. out? And if I decide to make a seperate fruiting chamber for my casing using wet perlite for humidification will I have to sterilize the perlite? Will I still have to mist the casing each day? Thank you.

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#3023827 - 08/19/04 02:06 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

some bleach in the perlite is all that is required.

are u going to microwave sterilize verm? i would at leat use a spaghetti pot and boil it.

casings dont need such high RH as cakes. 85-90% will do. andperlite (basically 100% RH) can cause overlay.

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
Re: Casing question from a newbie [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3023840 - 08/19/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I`ve only microwaved my verm for 45 seconds and stick it in the freezer for a few minutes..no contams on my casings yet.

OfflineJAMIEK
    #3024198 - 08/19/04 03:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

gOOD ?'S
Better answers!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract