Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTraveler311
journeyman
Loc: West of the East side.
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Effed]
    #1760753 - 07/29/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Question for you Effed. When simmering the CC should the simmering be stopped as soon as the water starts showing signs of starch being released (getting thick and slimey)? Or would it be better to remove the water and refill with fresh water and repeat the process until the water is pretty clean(no more starch being released)? I tried the CC once and I have no growth at all. I also did some rye at the same time with no growth. Spores are from the same source so I am thinking that's the problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Traveler311]
    #1762637 - 07/30/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

here's an idea.
try hominy instead.
you can use it straight from the can,
no simmering, no repeating processes,
just open a can and drain then dump it into your jars and steam it.
you're done.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineTraveler311
journeyman
Loc: West of the East side.
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Hippie3]
    #1763489 - 07/30/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hip, I have no problem giving the hominy a shot but the jars I have now are pissing me off. Also I bought a 50# bag of CC so I would like to get it working if I can. I will be trying the hominy soon though.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Traveler311]
    #1770565 - 08/01/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It sounds like you arent using enough water in the pot possibly.
Once you see the "slime" remove it from the stove and begin to rinse and strain it. Rinse it until you cant see the starch running off and the water is mostly clear.

Hope that helps. PM me for other questions.

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1794100 - 08/08/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You said "You can go right to the jar here or" And then basically explain what you just did over again with an addition to pressure cooking instructions. Why did you repeat yourself? Or can you repeat the rinse/strain? Does CC have the same foolproof water content like popcorn? I mean can I make my jars too wet/dry using your method? Thanks effed, Good tek

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: resin]
    #1794958 - 08/09/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You can repeat the steps to remove more starch.

Quote:

Does CC have the same foolproof water content like popcorn? I mean can I make my jars too wet/dry using your method? Thanks effed, Good tek

Its relatively foolproof, with simmering it makes the corn just right.

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
    #1893689 - 09/08/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This tech is working very well for me as originally described. I do rinse one time and I do add vermiculite. Really, much better than rye.
Great Tech Dude! ALL my little 'ol Hillbillies LOVE you and say thanks!
Dr. Buchanan

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleOscuro_lobo
Dark Wolf

Loc: it doesn't really matter.
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: curenado]
    #2639769 - 05/05/04 12:49 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Bumped. Because it rocks

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Oscuro_lobo]
    #2640619 - 05/05/04 05:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Glad to see this is still being used.. :smile:

Care to share any resluts or experiences?  :smile:

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

#2644466 - 05/06/04 06:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Nice tek effed. :thumbup:

Came across this article that is quite interesting and fits in nicely I think.

CORNWALL BRIDGE, Connecticut ~ Here in southern New England the corn is already waist high and growing so avidly you can almost hear the creak of stalk and leaf as the plants stretch toward the sun. The ears of sweet corn are just starting to show up on local farm stands, inaugurating one of the ceremonies of an American summer. These days the nation's nearly 80 million-acre field of corn rolls across the countryside like a second great lawn, but this wholesome, all-American image obscures a decidedly more dubious reality.

Like the tulip, the apple and the potato, zea mays (the botanical name for both sweet and feed corn) has evolved with humans over the past 10,000 years or so in the great dance of species we call domestication. The plant gratifies human needs, in exchange for which humans expand the plant's habitat, moving its genes all over the world and remaking the land (clearing trees, plowing the ground, protecting it from its enemies) so it might thrive.

Corn, by making itself tasty and nutritious, got itself noticed by Christopher Columbus, who helped expand its range from the New World to Europe and beyond. Today corn is the world's most widely planted cereal crop. But nowhere have humans done quite as much to advance the interests of this plant as in North America, where zea mays has insinuated itself into our landscape, our food system ~ and our federal budget.

One need look no further than the $190 billion farm bill President Bush signed last month to wonder whose interests are really being served here. Under the 10-year program, taxpayers will pay farmers $4 billion a year to grow ever more corn, this despite the fact that we struggle to get rid of the surplus the plant already produces. The average bushel of corn (56 pounds) sells for about $2 today; it costs farmers more than $3 to grow it. But rather than design a program that would encourage farmers to plant less corn ~ which would have the benefit of lifting the price farmers receive for it ~ Congress has decided instead to subsidize corn by the bushel, thereby insuring that zea mays dominion over its 125,000-square mile American habitat will go unchallenged.

At first blush this subsidy might look like a handout for farmers, but really it's a form of welfare for the plant itself ~ and for all those economic interests that profit from its overproduction: the processors, factory farms, and the soft drink and snack makers that rely on cheap corn. For zea mays has triumphed by making itself indispensable not to farmers (whom it is swiftly and surely bankrupting) but to the Archer Daniels Midlands, Tysons and Coca-Colas of the world.

Our entire food supply has undergone a process of "cornification" in recent years, without our even noticing it. That's because, unlike in Mexico, where a corn-based diet has been the norm for centuries, in the United States most of the corn we consume is invisible, having been heavily processed or passed through food animals before it reaches us. Most of the animals we eat (chickens, pigs and cows) today subsist on a diet of corn, regardless of whether it is good for them. In the case of beef cattle, which evolved to eat grass, a corn diet wreaks havoc on their digestive system, making it necessary to feed them antibiotics to stave off illness and infection. Even farm-raised salmon are being bred to tolerate corn ~ not a food their evolution has prepared them for. Why feed fish corn? Because it's the cheapest thing you can feed any animal, thanks to federal subsidies. But even with more than half of the 10 billion bushels of corn produced annually being fed to animals, there is plenty left over. So companies like A.D.M., Cargill and ConAgra have figured ingenious new ways to dispose of it, turning it into everything from ethanol to Vitamin C and biodegradable plastics.

By far the best strategy for keeping zea mays in business has been the development of high-fructose corn syrup, which has all but pushed sugar aside. Since the 1980's, most soft drink manufacturers have switched from sugar to corn sweeteners, as have most snack makers. Nearly 10 percent of the calories Americans consume now come from corn sweeteners; the figure is 20 percent for many children. Add to that all the corn-based animal protein (corn-fed beef, chicken and pork) and the corn qua corn (chips, muffins, sweet corn) and you have a plant that has become one of nature's greatest success stories, by turning us (along with several other equally unwitting species) into an expanding race of corn eaters.

So why begrudge corn its phenomenal success? Isn't this the way domestication is supposed to work?

The problem in corn's case is that we're sacrificing the health of both our bodies and the environment by growing and eating so much of it. Though we're only beginning to understand what our cornified food system is doing to our health, there's cause for concern. It's probably no coincidence that the wholesale switch to corn sweeteners in the 1980's marks the beginning of the epidemic of obesity and Type 2 diabetes in this country. Sweetness became so cheap that soft drink makers, rather than lower their prices, super-sized their serving portions and marketing budgets. Thousands of new sweetened snack foods hit the market, and the amount of fructose in our diets soared.

This would be bad enough for the American waistline, but there's also preliminary research suggesting that high-fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently than other sugars, making it potentially more harmful. A recent study at the University of Minnesota found that a diet high in fructose (as compared to glucose) elevates triglyceride levels in men shortly after eating, a phenomenon that has been linked to an increased risk of obesity and heart disease. Little is known about the health effects of eating animals that have themselves eaten so much corn, but in the case of cattle, researchers have found that corn-fed beef is higher in saturated fats than grass-fed beef.

We know a lot more about what 80 million acres of corn is doing to the health of our environment: serious and lasting damage. Modern corn hybrids are the greediest of plants, demanding more nitrogen fertilizer than any other crop. Corn requires more pesticide than any other food crop. Runoff from these chemicals finds its way into the groundwater and, in the Midwestern corn belt, into the Mississippi River, which carries it to the Gulf of Mexico, where it has already killed off marine life in a 12,000 square mile area.

To produce the chemicals we apply to our cornfields takes vast amounts of oil and natural gas. (Nitrogen fertilizer is made from natural gas, pesticides from oil.) America's corn crop might look like a sustainable, solar-powered system for producing food, but it is actually a huge, inefficient, polluting machine that guzzles fossil fuel ~ a half a gallon of it for every bushel.

So it seems corn has indeed become king. We have given it more of our land than any other plant, an area more than twice the size of New York State. To keep it well fed and safe from predators we douse it with chemicals that poison our water and deepen our dependence on foreign oil. And then in order to dispose of all the corn this cracked system has produced, we eat it as fast as we can in as many ways as we can ~ turning the fat of the land into, well, fat. One has to wonder whether corn hasn't at last succeeded in domesticating us.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: fugu]
    #2645242 - 05/06/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

some of the best cubes ive ate were from corn, although not cracked, i reckon.

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #2645689 - 05/06/04 01:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Corn, by making itself tasty and nutritious, got itself noticed by Christopher Columbus

bullshit. Corn didn't naturally evolve, it was selectivly bred by native Americans over thousands of years from teosinte. It is not a naturally occuring plant at all.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinepuzzlerok
Sojourner
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2648389 - 05/06/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineRoger_irrelevant

Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2649014 - 05/07/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Quote:

Corn, by making itself tasty and nutritious, got itself noticed by Christopher Columbus

bullshit. Corn didn't naturally evolve, it was selectivly bred by native Americans over thousands of years from teosinte. It is not a naturally occuring plant at all.

like the tulip, the apple and the potato, zea mays (the botanical name for both sweet and feed corn) has evolved with humans over the past 10,000 years or so in the great dance of species we call domestication.

Corn, by making itself tasty and nutritious, got itself noticed by Christopher Columbus, who helped expand its range from the New World to Europe and beyond.

Of coarse it's naturally occuring, to evolve is a natural process. And whether or not it was columbus who introduced it to europe from the americas makes no difference but the statement holds that it was already used within the process of domestication.
The real point here is the case of over-production I think.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2649044 - 05/07/04 02:21 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Roger_irrelevant said:
Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Quote:

like the tulip, the apple and the potato, zea mays (the botanical name for both sweet and feed corn) has evolved with humans over the past 10,000 years or so in the great dance of species we call domestication.

Corn, by making itself tasty and nutritious, got itself noticed by Christopher Columbus, who helped expand its range from the New World to Europe and beyond.

Of coarse it's naturally occuring, to evolve is a natural process. And whether or not it was columbus who introduced it to europe from the americas makes no difference but the statement holds that it was already used within the process of domestication.
The real point here is the case of over-production I think.

*evolved b/c of human intervention

OfflineRoger_irrelevant

Re: Cracked Corn Substrate. [Re: ]
    #2649238 - 05/07/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Would kibbled maize be the same as cracked corn?

--------------------

OfflineRoger_irrelevant

#2649243 - 05/07/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ok i just found this

Quote:

Maize grain kibbled (or Kibbled corn or Corn, kibbled) (IFN 4-02-866)
consists of the dry product obtained by cooking cracked corn under steam pressure and extruding from an expeller or other mechanical pressure device.

from this site http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/feebet/sched4/class4e.shtml

--------------------

OfflinePugslee_Atoms420
Street Pigs areour friends
    #3020783 - 08/18/04 10:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone used cracked corn with a dose of coarse ground coffee beans; or caffeine in any form?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate