Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Washington State
Washington state primary change
    #3018923 - 08/18/04 04:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I received a notice today that the primary voting system in Washington state has been changed to party-only. You have to choose a party and vote for politicians in that party. This is only for the primaries, the actual elections have not been changed.

This seems highly restrictive to me. Especially in a year where health care workers (like me) are getting laid off in droves. I'd like to vote for a particular representative because of his stance on tort reform in the state but not for his whole party. This new system will not allow me to do that.

However, I'm trying to understand the thought process behind this before I actually start sending in complaints. Thoughts?

2004: The year telemarketing started to shrivel up like a cold pair of nuts.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Washington state primary change [Re: Fungushead]
    #3019107 - 08/18/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I've read articles where some who are registered in one party will vote in the opposing party's primary in the hope of seeing a weaker candidate win, and also so the winner comes out looking weaker.

Opponents of the closed ballot object to this, and declare that there is no proof crossover voters have impacted elections. Until Aug. 20 of this year, they were correct. On that day Republicans in Georgia's 4th Congressional District, tired of Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney, went to the polls and voted en mass for her Democratic rival. Georgia retains an open ballot similar to the one Alaska used until the 2000 primaries, and while many Republicans considered McKinney's actions to be extreme, the Democrats were denied the candidate of their choice. If party politics is to remain the law of the land (and there is no sign of it being replaced), closed primary ballots are essential to political identity.

web page

You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion