Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

I worked with an ex-hippie last night!
    #3018786 - 08/18/04 04:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I work at a housing program for people with mental illness. They stay for a couple of days to avoid heading into a crisis, and it provides them with some relaxation and introspection.

Last night was awesome. I work the overnight shift, and I met an older man who was a hippie during the 60's. He remembered how caring and united people were, and how it was about finding a new set of ethics and peace & love. I talked about how I thought society could be heading towards that direction again if the corruption and materialism starts to topple (which it is, although people are still clinging to it). He agreed, although we were both fairly unsure if it will actually happen.

We also discussed his depression, and ways to beat it. It was great to be able to help someone who had such life experience, and who had such insight into society.  :flowerchild: :hippie: :dancing: It really helped me too, because I really love to connect with people on that level.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: I worked with an ex-hippie last night! [Re: Twirling]
    #3018791 - 08/18/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thats KEWL!

--------------------

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3018824 - 08/18/04 04:27 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think the materialism will vanish unless there's a massive economic collapse or a UFO invasion :lol:

At least the hippy love will always survive... you just have to look for it :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: I worked with an ex-hippie last night! [Re: mantis]
    #3018837 - 08/18/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I defintely don't think any of that stuff will disappear, except maybe in the long, long run. It's sort of a wax & wane kind of thing. But it does seem as if a lot of people are, at the very least, becoming more apt to question leaders. But who knows.

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#3018840 - 08/18/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:heart:  That is great.  I bet he loved working with you!

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3018864 - 08/18/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Little things like that give me a slight hope in humanity yet :wink:

helping others is a wonderful experience for BOTH parties.

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #3019023 - 08/18/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What makes him an "ex-hippie?" Sounds like he's still embracing many of the ideals which the hippies reached for. Unless he's turned into a materialistic Republican. I heard once that hippies grow up to be Republicans (after they become too jaded by the "real world" I suppose)... I hope that is not true.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: I worked with an ex-hippie last night! [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #3019181 - 08/18/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, he's defintely still a hippie in spirit. He considers himself to be liberal & proud. He doesn't really live out the hippie lifestyle anymore, but still has a progressive way of thinking. I think it helped him a bit to think about those days and the ideals and possibilites that used to be (and still are, really). And it was really nice as the "new generation" to be able to get tails of what used to be. It really makes your perspective a little lighter knowing what humans are capable of.

Hi Phishgrrl!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3019728 - 08/18/04 08:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i met a guy in a park in Bergen, Norway once... i was sitting, smoking a joint and talking to a friend of mine (this park is filled with heroin addicts, mind you... it's a big problem in norway) - we were just waiting until our boat left that night, and this guy comes up and asks to hit our joint with an incredibly californian accent! it turns out he moved to the Haight in 67 or so, and lived there until the mid 80s, when he moved away because he thought it was getting shady and violent at times... man, that guy had some crazy stories!

--------------------

OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
    #3020238 - 08/18/04 10:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know, I don't think that the world will loose it's materialism for MANY MANY years. Sometimes I think that my city was literally BUILT upon materialism. It would be nice to see if wane down, though. It makes me sick.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: I worked with an ex-hippie last night! [Re: Krishna]
    #3020565 - 08/18/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

He did say that things kind of blew up in the 70's. I asked him what the difference was, and he said it was the changing of drugs. Speed was big and changed the people in the scene.

I think even if things start to swing back more into a compassionate state, materialism will still exist, just maybe we won't see shows on VH1 about how awesome celebrites are for wasting money on self-serving crap. The early 90's were like that, some great music, and a more emotionally sensitive ideal. Then came the Spice Girls.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
    #3021175 - 08/19/04 01:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Is it possible for a hipppy to be a 'ex-hippy'?
I think once your enlightened enough and have that free-spirited, loving nature that 'hippies' have you never lose it.
I guess what im trying to say is, once a hippy always a hippy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub