Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Paranoid about West Nile Virus
    #3016688 - 08/18/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This morning I read that West Nile is now considered an epidemic in Phoenix (where I now live). Just a few hours ago I noticed a tiny bite on my hand and started to get worried.

I read up about the virus and it sounds like for statisticaly 1% of all people that get infected, but half of all cases in Arizona result in damage to the central nervous system.
We are talking about total confusion, blindness, paralysis, stupor, delirium, that can be permanent.

That is absolutely horrible. To me a serious neurological disease is a fate worse than death. It's like the worst possible trip ever that never goes away and you can never function normally again. Imagine that: you get bit by one mosquito and a couple weeks later you are permanently paralyzed, blind or mentally retarded. This is a fucked up world we live in.

Then I see that in the past two weeks there have been several cases of the virus around my part of town.

Lastly I read there is no cure and little to nothing doctors can do about it except make you lie down and help you breathe. They can't even detect it until it is comming on strong.

Now, I'm pretty sure that my bite is too small to be a mosquito bite, and it has quickly started to disapear. But still I feel I'm starting to come down with a cold and I'm paranoid it could be the virus, though unlikely.

If in the tiny chance I did catch that neuroinvasive disease I would be screwed. I few freinds down here and I barely even see my housemates. I could be passed out in my room for days before anyone noticed. There would be nobody to take care of me. Considering there is no medical treatment the only thing that would help we be to not be alone.

I was trying to go to bed early tonight, but I'll probobly stay up al night scared. What a horrible thing. I feel terrible that anyone gets infected with such a nasty thing. I want to move out of this city as fast as possible and get back to the Northwest, where if anything kills me it will be Mount Rainier, not some terminal neurological disease that destroys my body and mind.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Paranoid about West Nile Virus [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3016725 - 08/18/04 03:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Don't worry.....the majority of the affected people, in ANY form, (including the cold n other such symptoms) were young children, old people, and those with weak immune systems.

It's not that dangerous. I got it (i think) and all it did for me was give me a minor sniffle.
Plus, once you get it once, the odds of you getting it ever again are negligible.

Have some faith in your immune system....i'm positive you'll be alright.

IF you're really worried, carry around some deep woods off.....or some of that 35% DEET firefighter/rescue services spray.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3016888 - 08/18/04 04:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah.Its quite rare to catch it unless you have an immune system disease or are quite old or quite young and the majority of people who do get it just get flu like syptoms.With ALL the hype it gets,you'd think it'd be a monsterous disease but on average its little more trouble than a mild flu.

The worrying/stress is more to worry about than the actual disease.  :lol:

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #3020213 - 08/18/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the west nile scare is just for news services to grab ratings since everyone love a crisis
from what I understand is that its more a evromental issue since some animals have no defense to it at all
even if you are infected with west nile you are still more likely die from cancer

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #3020566 - 08/18/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

there are only like 500 people nation wide that have it, and about 266 in phoenix as i recall, do the math, youre probably in the clear

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: Paranoid about West Nile Virus [Re: alpiner]
    #3021336 - 08/19/04 01:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

the west nile scare is just for news services to grab ratings since everyone love a crisis

I definitely agree with alpiner.My local news service always severely dramatizes everything to get attention and ratings.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3022254 - 08/19/04 07:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I live in phoenix. There is a breakout, but its rare. Keep in mind there are roughly 7 million people in the metro valley.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being