Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ?
    #3016186 - 08/18/04 01:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was just wondering what area of the country do some of you think is most ideal for shrooms? I have a lot of family up in Washington and I am thinking of going there soon. Right now I am in Florida. I would be very interested in any comments. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: SurwinMaxawow]
    #3016224 - 08/18/04 01:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

depends on the season.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3016252 - 08/18/04 01:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok lets just say we are looking at the best times of the year for both regions of the country.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#3016263 - 08/18/04 01:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Why does it matter?

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#3016265 - 08/18/04 01:29 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Psily, come one, reprazent the P-N-DUB.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: mycoguy]
    #3016278 - 08/18/04 01:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Why does it matter?
Because I am interested to know what experienced people think, and I am just wondering how they compare. Anything wrong with that?

Edited by SurwinMaxawow (08/18/04 01:35 AM)

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

#3016431 - 08/18/04 02:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If U want to match it up NW vs SE, its no contest. Being a native here in GOD'S Country you are getting a some what bias opinion. I have picked around these parts for the better part of 25 years. Without going into to much detail, lets just use Washington State for example ... We have at least 5 different types of actives native to our state. On a potency scale, our native actives are, in fact, much more potent than those of the SE. Our actives are not so dependent on cows. Most of ours are dependent upon our most abundant resource, Trees (wood lovers). Six months out of the year I can grow Cubes outdoors here, even though they are not native. Let me see you grow (outdoors) NW actives in the SE, ie Liberty Caps or for that matter Azures, Cyans, Blue Ringers, Pelliculosa, Beos, etc., etc. You cant. I believe that this is a dumb sort of match up and I certainly do not want to open up and invite the beautiful people of the SE to the NW to prove my point. I do have a bit of NW pride though. The SE can't hang, never has,and never will. The Almighty created this corner of the universe with special things in mind. Things most, from the SE, will never know. Amen.
If you really want to compare come on up!

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #3016708 - 08/18/04 03:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Actu7ally there are ovr 18 species of Psilocybian fungi in the Seattle region of Puget Sound.

Blue Ringers and Panaeolus subbalteatus can appear at all times of the year if there is no freeze, frost or snow.

This spring we had a day of snow in March and One day in April. I posted blue ringer images in March, April and May, Picked some in Jan and Fen, as well as a few late overtly blue cyans.

In the SE, You have mostly P. cubensis followed by Copelandia sp., at least fokiur variations. Then in Georgia you have P. weilii, except thgis years the pickings are not as abundant as the last th previous three years.

Lizard King picked a lot for a few years and they disappear and reappear in other rego ions.

There is Also P. tampanensis in MNississippi, Louisiana and Florida but only a few collections have been made int he last twenty-five years.

Also P. caerulescens is in the southeast US.

Buyt the PNW is the best shroom capital in the wolrd.

Even in front page News Paper clipping from a Seattle anniversary on the front page.

mj

read about Seattle's headline story opn the anniversary of the state and the white people meet the Indians anniversary.

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3016882 - 08/18/04 04:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks MJ and mrflamefighter for the info. :smile:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3019912 - 08/18/04 08:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

here is my take on this

florida/georgia
washington/oregon

florida is best known for shrooms, but georgia is actually the centerpiece for the southeast.

washington is best known for shrooms, but oregon is actually the centerpiece for the northwest.

take your pick.

pick in a pasture in the southeast
pick in the lawns and woodchips in the northwest

and i know all the washington shroomers will probably have a rebutle for this comment but, oregon has more shrooms than you. lol. :smile:

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #3020519 - 08/18/04 11:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hahaha!  :smile:  Interesting parallel

Edited by SurwinMaxawow (08/18/04 11:09 PM)

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

#3021747 - 08/19/04 03:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

GGreatOne234- You are absolutely correct. All reading this post, it is very important to understand that what the GGreatOne234 is saying is in fact true. The great state of Oregon is in fact the centerpiece, or better yet, the center of mushroom heaven. To all who may wander this way in the fall-  IF YOU CROSS THE COLUMBIA RIVER YOU'VE GONE TO FAR!!!!
Turn around and go back to Oregon.Not only is Oregon tops for shrooms but ALL shroomers are welcome there. GGreatOne234 no disrespect intended.I guess being 2d best in the NW is better than being in the SE. :grin:

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3022966 - 08/19/04 01:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have picked over 1,000,000 mushrooms in the puget sound region, more than I ever picked in Oregon. I picked linbrty caps and baeocystis and cyans and Azurescens in oregon, and finally in 1991 with Jochen Gartz, more than thirty pounds of blue ringers.

WE had two people at Mycomedia 5 at Breittenbush Mushroom conference who collectd a two hundred pound patch of P. cyanescens and P. cyanofibrilosa in Eureka/Arcada, California along I-5 mixed in with alder and willow wood-chips. They had sllides of their discovery.

But the puget sound has 18 species, all of which are pretty common in the region. And Blue Ringers (P. stuntzii and P. fimetaria) and P. cyanescens predominated the cities throughout the I-5 corridor, especieally between the Cascade and Olmpic mountain rainge along the region of olympia/Tumwater to Comex Valley In British COlombia.

Of course many of the pastures have liberty caps (P. semilanceata and P. strictipes), P, fimetaria, P. stuntizz, P. baeocystis, P. sierrae and some Panaeolus subbalteatus. There are at least three varieties of clearcut shrooms in abundant patches up to 10,ooo to 100,000 shrooms of P. Pelliculosa and P. silvativa and a third as yet unidentified related species.

WE also have P. cyanofibrilosa, P. liniformans var. americana, Conocybe smithii and Conocybe cyanopus, and several species of Gymnopilus, plus Amanita muscaria, and a few minor other species including maybe once a year a couple of copelandia specimens at the riding stable. But never more. Both Paul Stamets and I have seen the copes. anD fpr those of you who will attend the Telluride Mushroom Conference in Colorado this month, be sure and asked Paul Stamets how many shrooms do you think mushroom John ALlen has picked in the past thirty years. He will tell yo that I have picked more mushrooms than any person he has ever known.

And a few other Panaeolus are in Washington which once in a while produce some psilocine/psilocybine action.

I lived in Eugene for two years and that is where I first found liberty caps and baeocysctis and later a few P. cyanescens. There is also a tall liberty cap growing in ye fields near the northeast Oregon Coast, Plus P. azurescens in the Hammond/Astoria region.

Now for edibles, there are chantrelles, Lacteria deliciosis and matsutake in the Florence to Eugene oregon territory, but Seattle region is still number one picking in the world. Including about two to five thousand other mushroom species in the puget sound region.

And Hawaii and Samoa are still the number one for Copelandia mushrooms. an average paddie or two at Kulaloa yields 16 to 24 hundred copes a day during a six week run.

Still the PNW is the best shroom spot in the world.

My library is close to 100,000 photographs of shrooms and 99% of them are PNW shrooms.

mj.

The actuall a largest cubensis fields are in Asia and Southeast asia from India to Viet-Nam. That is one pen pastureland where cows and buffalo are not fenced in and ropam freely, produc8ing the largest crops of shrooms at the right times of the years.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3023288 - 08/19/04 02:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
Still the PNW is the best shroom spot in the world.

Maybe we can change your mind of that when you make it down to Georgia :wink:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Northwest vs. Southeast for mushrooms ? [Re: Gumby]
    #3023407 - 08/19/04 02:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

it all pretty much boils down to this;

atlanta GA has Psilocybe weilii
eugene OR has Psilocybe azurescens

ive never found or eaten uh azures but i would love to.

i have had freshly picked weilii's before though, and i honestly couldnt even imagine any other shroom in the world being as great as the weilii's in atlanta.
-those shrooms (especially when eaten fresh) are completely and utterly out of this world.
-weilii ain't no-joke, i dont even think they're originally from planet earth; and it should be the most sought after shroom in the world imo.

the pnw has all the edibles though, and the southeast basically sucks for edibles for the most part.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3023491 - 08/19/04 02:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

P. cyanofibrilosa has been noted to loose most of its psycoactive properties after drying..... Would you say that this is true?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3023507 - 08/19/04 02:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

well Psilocybe weilii has dark-dark/brown (almost black) caps when young, and the black caps are frosty with mycelium; they are ex-tremely potent when fresh, potent in a strange and unique way

Here is some info from PMOTW:

Psilocybe weilii has:
.61% psilocybin
.27% psilocin
.05% baeocystin
.32% tryptophan***!!!:)

Psilocybe azurescens has:
1.78 psilocybin***!!!jeezus H christ that's alot!:)
.38% psilocin
.35% baeocystin

-weilii has ".32% tryptophan", so, it must be something about that chemical that makes the mushroom so unique. I never noticed any other mushroom in PMOTW with "tryptophan".

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#3023516 - 08/19/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

As far as I am concerend south east has the highst gross yeild.

But PNW has highest gross yield of psilocybin / psilocin.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3023518 - 08/19/04 02:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

G. GreatOne234, Eugene Oregon has hardly any P. azurescens. P. azurescens is a coastal shroom in the NW tip of Oregon,primarity in Hammond and Astoria. Rarely east of the coast.

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3023549 - 08/19/04 02:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yeah that was a typo/mistake, my bad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification