Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehnc
 User Gallery

Loc: Maine
Panaeolus subbalteatus curiosity
    #3015970 - 08/17/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I decided to give the local stables/racetrack a look to see if I could locate a nice spot to watch for pan subbs. Much to my surprise I couldn't help but see the towering 2 story high mound of manure, stable shavings and hay they are continuously adding to far behind the common grounds of the area. Now I've already read reports of finding these on hay bails and what not but they all seem rather minuscule in comparison to this incredibly enormous mound of poo I've found. What I'm wondering is if maybe someone could give me an estimate on the yield one might obtain from something of this stature and can I expect the pile to fruit in a uniform fashion or in selective spots only?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus curiosity [Re: hnc]
    #3016008 - 08/17/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I dont really know if anyone could answer that for you. All i know is that it sounds like a pretty good environment for subbalteatus, just keep checking the pile and you might find some. I really dont think anyone could estimate the yield you would get. Mushrooms are too unpredictable to say "400 will grow from it" Just keep lookin im sure you will have some luck :smile:.

Peace

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Offlinehnc
 User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus curiosity [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #3016030 - 08/17/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I suppose you're right. I just never considered finding something of that magnitude and never gave any thought to the possibility of picking more than I could put to use. Suppose I'm just fishing for a numerical factor to put on this so I can get an idea of how to handle it. Guess just relaxing and waiting to see what happens is the best route. Thanks.

InvisibleSugarMagnolia
WecanhaveHIGHtimesifyoudontmind

Loc: Halfway between here and ...
    #3016081 - 08/17/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Just a thought for you, have you ever considered taking some of the pile?  Then you can have your own composted pile to groom for growth of Subbs, or other actives.  Just a thought.  I am considering doing my own type of manure compost to see what may happen.  Anyway, experiments are fun! :smile:
Peace, Love, and shroominess!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3016104 - 08/17/04 10:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My experience was very similar to yours.

A friend who worked at a stable told me about a huge manure/stable shavings pile that they kept in the back.

So I went there, and ventured into the back to my suprise found a HUGE pile...larger than my house. I dug a hole with my hand and noticed that there was mycelium growing through it. It gave me hope...however there were Coprinus that had been growing there.

I went back there periodically and did not find anything, until the rains really started coming down.

Finally in December (our first real rainy month here in California) I went in my boots and raincoat and sludged through the mud and to the mound to find literally THOUSANDS of P. subbalteatus just covering the majority of the pile. I just about had a heart attack. I ran back to my car and grabbed a paper grocery bag and filled it until I couldnt bend over anymore.

Just thought Id share. I hope you have good luck! Every year since I found the mound, I have gone back and never come back empty handed.

Here's one of my favorite pictures, Ive posted this too many times:

InvisibleSugarMagnolia
WecanhaveHIGHtimesifyoudontmind

Loc: Halfway between here and ...
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus curiosity [Re: angryshroom]
    #3016134 - 08/17/04 10:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

AngryShroom, I like that picture!  you could post it a zillion times and I would still smile when I see it!  You take some great photos!
Right on Mushroom Hunters and Gatherers!  What a cluster of Subbs! :smile:

Offlinehnc
 User Gallery

#3016135 - 08/17/04 10:56 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Same thing with my pile. Loads of coprinus all over it. How will that effect the pan subbs, if at all?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3016205 - 08/17/04 11:15 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the kind words! :smile:

Im my experience, the Coprinus did not effect the subbs...Seems like the coprinus are pretty weak mushrooms compared.

Offlinehnc
 User Gallery

#3016211 - 08/17/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Good news, thanks.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3016261 - 08/17/04 11:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Angry shroom, that is the coolest shit i have ever seen! :cool:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3020004 - 08/18/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

neat photo angryshroom.

that's kinda hairy.. a thick amount of subbalteatus :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck