Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Rye berries soaked... but not simmered -- Water:Rye Ratio
    #3013434 - 08/17/04 02:25 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've never soaked my grain before unless it was overnight in the bottles with proportions already measured.  This time I soaked it all in a big kettle and I'm going to rinse and drain it a bit later.  I need to know the amount of water and grain to add to pint jars.  If I don't get much hard feedback I'll start out about 2/3 cup grain and 1/2 water and see how that works.  BTW does anyone know an online company that sells/ships vermiculite for a decent price.  Only one store sells the stuff locally and its 6$ for a small bag.  :tongue2:

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Rye berries soaked... but not simmered -- Water:Rye Ratio [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3013655 - 08/17/04 03:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My friend has tried various grains and techniques over the years, including rye, and the only ways he gets consistantly good results is to give the grains a long soak in water (48 hours minimum), drain and load straight into jars - no simmering or added water. PC for 1 hour at 15 PSI.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineshaman2b
Just anotherfreethinker
 User Gallery

Loc: in my head
Re: Rye berries soaked... but not simmered -- Water:Rye Ratio [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #3013922 - 08/17/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Soaking is to get any contams to germinate before you PC, so that you can be sure nothing survives to mess up your grow. Simmering is to expanded the grain and increase its moisture content. Therefore, no extra water is added. The grain is already holding its max moisture.

I've only used grain a few times so far (following Magash's "simple grain tek") and this method works beautifully.

What's another 45 minutes spent to ensure an excellent grow?

--------------------
I am merely transcribing the thoughts of my blind buddy; none of the things I write originate with me. :wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3014047 - 08/17/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Here's my method for rye berries. They're the best spawn medium in my opinion. http://www.mycotopia.net/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=2&post=242120#POST242120

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Rye berries soaked... but not simmered -- Water:Rye Ratio [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3014054 - 08/17/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I guess i'm going to simmer

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation