Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelochness
Stranger
First time harvest
    #3012404 - 08/17/04 07:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hi

This is the first time i've ever grown any mushrooms, so aplogies if the question is basic, but i searched through the forums and still can't find a definitive answer!

I've been growing a kit that grows in a bag (it has a tray about the size of a dvd case, 3" deep that i sprayed with water and sealed in the bag it came with)

The instructions did not say exactly when to harvest. One or two of the mushrooms are about 3" tall, the rest are about half that. They have a kind of bell on the top (they look a bit like a box full of cocks!).

I found a picture of how the big ones look. kind of like this...
http://www.shroomery.org/images/3381/22721.jpg

I know from the instructions that the type i have is Stropharia Cubensis.

so are they ready to pick when they get like this? or are the caps supposed to change shape or something? also, how do you pick them? do you just pluck them out?

many thanks for your help an putting up with a rookie...

LM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: First time harvest [Re: lochness]
    #3012439 - 08/17/04 07:56 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of it depends on what you want to use them for. To make a print you want the caps open all the way, For eating you want to pick befors the vail breaks.

Example

If you look in the upper left hand corner of the picture the mushroom is about ready to print.
As for the the other, I tend to print most of mine so I don't have a picture of one before the vail breaks.

Offlinelochness
Stranger
Re: First time harvest [Re: Cyber]
    #3012450 - 08/17/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for reply...

i want them for eating, so does this mean i should pick them now before the caps open?

LM

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: First time harvest [Re: lochness]
    #3012457 - 08/17/04 08:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Just before there about to break. Which can be hard to tell. If they open its not that big of a deal. You wont lose any noticeable amt of potency. And thats the only reason ive heard of for when to pick besides printing.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinelochness
Stranger
Re: First time harvest [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3012461 - 08/17/04 08:07 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

many thanks for the advice guys...

looks like i'm about ready to start picking.

gonna be a fun weekend.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds