Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Using spent cakes as spawn?
    #3012383 - 08/17/04 09:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry if anyone's asked this before, I couldn't find anything on it.

Could I crumble up spent cakes and spawn them onto straw? :crazy2:

Fanx!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using spent cakes as spawn? [Re: deafpanda]
    #3012412 - 08/17/04 09:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

No. The spent cakes are . . .well . . . spent. Straw would almost certainly contaminate if you did this. I'd recommend you bury your spent cakes in your garden if you have one, otherwise break them up and put into your houseplants. The houseplants will do better because the mycelium will break down the nutes and make them available to the plants. You'll even get a mushie or two every now and then.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3012423 - 08/17/04 09:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Acutally yes you can spawn spent cakes to other mediums, it has been done many times. On a similar topic you can take a contaminated cake and spawn it to poo/straw and do and outside tek and mother nature will take care of the contams and youll get mushies. But as for spawning the spent cake it is most definatley possible.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: Using spent cakes as spawn? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3012510 - 08/17/04 10:29 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Humm conflicting advice :wink:

I can't take them outside, I'm in the UK and my temps are probably too low.

I'm gonna give it a go with a small amount of straw indoors just for kicks.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3012525 - 08/17/04 10:35 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I would challenge anyone to spawn a spent cake into straw and post the results. The question was to straw. Not to outdoors or other mediums.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Using spent cakes as spawn? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3012540 - 08/17/04 10:42 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Actually he didnt specify at all wether it was indoors or not. And i was just stating a way to do it. Its true that the substrate that the mycellium was currently using was spent. But you could still transfer it to another medium quite readily.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinej_db69
Forever learning shaman
 User Gallery

#3012958 - 08/17/04 12:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Spawn to straw and/or poo, it won't work, like RogerRabbit said it would contaminate before it would ever finish. It will work to spawn to other grains or other nutritional substances however.

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3013342 - 08/17/04 02:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have a project going on (Straw/Poo) that was started with a spent casing. The substrate (used in the spent casing) was red millet. It was cased in 100% coir. The casing had its initial flush. It was dunked/cold shocked, and flushed a second time.Once the Second flush was complete, I crumbled the complete casing and used it for spawn in a current project. Would the casing have flushed a third time? Good question. Had I thought I was gonna get much of anything out of a third flush I would have attempted it. The current Straw/Poo is colonizing just fine. No contams. This was the first time I have attempted this. Its is working just fine. If this is an exception to the rule, I'm happy. I got lucky. If this is the rule, from now on I will not try to squeeze out one last flush when I can start anew with the old casings. Using the old casing was much simpler and faster than starting from step one with the spores and jars. The statements contained in this posting are not intended to dispute any claims made by others. This is simply my experience.

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3013774 - 08/17/04 03:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Spawn to straw and/or poo, it won't work, like RogerRabbit said

Nonsense, of course it will. I posted a grow log a while back in which I did just that - spawned wheat straw and dung with a spent PF cake. The yield was not spectacular as it was only my second casing attempt, but it was succesful none the less. I'll try to post a link to the grow log.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...ev=#Post1032912

Edited by dog (08/17/04 03:45 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3014113 - 08/17/04 04:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I suppose there's a difference between working, and working well. The problem with any spent substrate is that not only is the mycelial network weak, but trich and other contaminant spores have already had a few weeks to land on it. When you use it for spawn, you're also spawning those contaminant spores along with weak mycelium into a fresh substrate.

I was not right to say it won't work. Lots of folks have done it, I know that. What I was saying, and I stick to it, is it won't work well, and for each time you succeed, you'll lose to contaminates at least one. Each project I do, I try to outdo the previous one. That takes fresh aggressive spawn, with an isolated strain of a proven fruiter. Personally, I'd never waste time trying to spawn with spent substrate, as it's so easy to grow fresh. Why settle for less than the best?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3027231 - 08/20/04 05:46 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Bump, lets see some more opinions on this, id especially like to hear from Magash on this. I have done it a number of times with no contamination whatsoever. Thats what we like about pasteurized substrate as compared to sterilized, beneficial bacteria prevent the naughty little spores we dont like from getting destructive and taking our substrate.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3027424 - 08/20/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

bumb it, bump it real good

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3027674 - 08/20/04 10:28 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry to bump it. But i want to make sure that some experienced growers see this thread.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3029183 - 08/20/04 06:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

bump

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3029209 - 08/20/04 06:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Experienced growers take the time to read back several pages to help out the new people and involve themselves in disscusion.

It is not neccesary to bump this thread
3 Times    OK :pimpin:

I have had mixed results in using old cakes and casings as spawn

But I figure it is always worth the extra effort. It is better then just tossing them :thumbup:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Using spent cakes as spawn? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3030130 - 08/20/04 10:14 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Precisely. It is not the ideal way to spawn bulk substrates but it does work and allows the cultivator with no access to a PC to try their hand at bulk cultivation and increase their yields.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Using spent cakes as spawn? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3031649 - 08/21/04 07:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Kool, sorry about bumping it so much. I wasn't sure how far back most people actually look through these. Again i apologise......and the apologise for this getting moved up again for this message....lol

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineRetardedChemist
journeyman
    #3031726 - 08/21/04 08:16 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

So I can case spent PF Cakes and they will start pinning again?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3031736 - 08/21/04 08:26 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes it can work and it can work well. Chances are that it will contam though for the reasons rodger gives.

Yes you can case spent cakes but t he same rule applies, it can work but there is a chance it's gonna contam.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinegrowmore
up it goes
 User Gallery
Loc: Cow field
    #3080381 - 09/02/04 12:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have done this and it did work but maybe I got lucky. Came out with 30 grams dry.

--------------------
check my journal for my trade list

You see what you want to see not what it makes you see. I see said the blind man to the deaf women .

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation