Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOMNiKiLLeR
Scorned Watcherof Ages
 User Gallery

Loc: A Construct of my Percept...
My casing, whats wrong?
    #3011412 - 08/16/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well here it is, I cold shocked about 10 days ago, and have been following the cultivators instructions as closely as i can.

I do an air exchange 6 times a day, misting each time. . .

sorry abiout shitty pic, but my flash wont work right now. . .

--------------------
"If it wern't for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"~Lewis Black
"Where did you get all these slackers?"~Manager Kmart, Boise ID
"Burp dee durb, durbidy durb dee dumm"~ Southark
I didnt do it!
:dancing: :dancing:  :ass: :whatever: :bow: :penis: :bow: :whatever: :ass::dancing: :dancing:

Please Visit and Support the FSRE!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOMNiKiLLeR
Scorned Watcherof Ages
 User Gallery

Loc: A Construct of my Percept...
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: OMNiKiLLeR]
    #3011459 - 08/16/04 11:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a much better pic

--------------------
"If it wern't for that horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"~Lewis Black
"Where did you get all these slackers?"~Manager Kmart, Boise ID
"Burp dee durb, durbidy durb dee dumm"~ Southark
I didnt do it!
:dancing: :dancing:  :ass: :whatever: :bow: :penis: :bow: :whatever: :ass::dancing: :dancing:

Please Visit and Support the FSRE!

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3011573 - 08/16/04 11:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It is too wet. No need to mist 6 times a day. Search for how moist you should keep your casing.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3011627 - 08/17/04 12:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It actually looks a bit dry to me but it's difficult to tell with a verm casing. Try mixing a bit of coir into your next casing. It makes water content much easier to judge. Some strains are difficult to pin. Keep up the air exchange and be patient. I've waited up to two weeks for pins. Good luck. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: Rose]
    #3011635 - 08/17/04 12:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Casing as well as myc do best in very moist conditions "near saturation" One thing you do not want to do is spray the casing directly during pinning but prior to it's just fine you'll want to build up the casings moisture content then once the myc pokes through you can leave it alone until pins are set then indirectly misting can continue as the mushies will draw an enormous amount of water from the casing as well as the substrate. People say misting causes aborts well it wasn't the misting it was something else I've seen pins underwater from a fogger timer malfunction that sat that way for hours before being drained all pins came back as one of the top flushes I've ever seen. I make a habit of misting through the entire grow except during pinning so i guess what I'm saying is too me it doesn't look too wet, from a pic it can be real hard to tell IMHO but it looks like there may have been a little direct misting going on all in all it looks pretty good to me. remember drop in temps, light (12-16 during pinning) and well ya got the FAE covered pretty well :wink: Too me it looks a bit dry also? GL

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: hyphae]
    #3011668 - 08/17/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It is TOO WET... 6 mistings a day on PERLITE... this isn't a cake, it is a casing. It has its own moisture source. Reduce the mistings and you will get pins.

Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3011716 - 08/17/04 12:28 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

How much is he misting Cervantes? Heavy, light, medium? Does he have any water in that perlite? Mushrooms draw alot of water I've personally done well over 30 casings all the same. Casings will shrink casings soils will get depleted of water as the shrooms flush I personally don't like soggy shrooms and I also don't mind split caps because they tend to dryout faster but cakes casings whatever shouldn't rely on the casings initial moisture level. misting takes a load off the casing and the substrate IMHO This is just my observations over the years it doesn't mean anything it's just my point of view I'm not here to argue I'm here help he'll decide what he wants to do because he's the only one who really knows how wet it truely is! With all respects Cervantes

edited to say: 30 not 300 geesh! :wink:

Edited by dcyans (08/17/04 08:16 AM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3011960 - 08/17/04 02:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Great little post DC, but, with all due respect, I've been chatting on mIRC with OMNi... and he has watered his perlite... he mists 6 times a day... his casing has water droplets on it... and all his perlite is wet.

Near saturation? I don't care what it looks like, he is simply using too much water.

A casing in an empty Rubbermaid tub only needs to be misted 2-3 times a week in a moderately humid climate. Even without the perlite.

Casings do fine when the humidity is high... but they only need the humidity to be in the low to mid 70's. Cakes need a lot higher humidity than casings.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3012441 - 08/17/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The so called 'cold shock' probably set him back several days too. Why, pray tell with all the information out there that cold shocking does nothing for tropical species do people insist on doing that with cubes? Sure, certain species that grow in temperate climates are stimulated by a cold shock. Azurescens is a prime example. Cubes are a tropical species and fruit in the wild in warm weather. Don't cold shock your cubies and you'll get faster results. Fact.

Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3012448 - 08/17/04 08:02 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Is he right guys? dont cold shock your cubies... becuase ive seen people that dunk in the fridge for 24 hours and get GREAT results... who cares if you slow down by a day or 2 you get musies that are 10% bigger id rather have bigger than faster...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: scape]
    #3012517 - 08/17/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

ok...wait.
Dunking in the refrigerator is NOT cold shocking. Bacteria grows very well in water, esp when combined with the nutes in a cake or casing. We dunk in the fridge to slow down bacteria growth, not to cold shock. Don't confuse the two. If you dunked at room temperature, your cakes would be almost sure to contaminate within a few days. Cubies are a warm weather species and do not benefit from a cold shock.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3012887 - 08/17/04 10:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well you got the upperhand there Cervantes :wink:
Knowledge is power.
The way I look at it is myc fruits more
prolifically at lower temps Optimally than
during incubation.(fact) I find the fridge
helps in dropping the cakes temp specifically
the substrates core temp, the drop doesn't
have to be much of course a 10F. drop is
plenty And I consider this a "cold shock".
Now for me doing both at the same time works
just fine for cakes I personally love the
results I get by dunking. Casings I do
differently these need to be incubated during
the casing run then when placed in the
fruiting chamber the 10F. is the cold shock.
The bottom line is all mushrooms fruit more
prolifically when temps drop whether it be 8
or 10 degrees IME that is the cold shock. I
believe that shocking in the fridge during
pinning will stall the pinning process a bit
also. just my $.02

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3016908 - 08/18/04 02:36 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have never encountered problems dunking at room temperature... but I haven't done it often.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #3018294 - 08/18/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I gotta agree with dcyans. I work exclusively with casings but that proper cold shock is crucial to getting the fruits that we all dream of and hope to get. What it truely boils down to is you are in fact duplicating what happens to them in the wild. I their native environment. Study and understand that, and the rest is a walk in the park

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #3018467 - 08/18/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, as everybody seems to know I like to play with casings in larger numbers. (40 at a time at the very least). now as far as the cold shock goes I did this a while back. I put 20 casings that were just finished incubating in a 24 hour cold shock and put 20 in the martha with a temp of 74f. Every single one of the ones put in the fridge ended up fruiting before the ones put in without it. (Mal strain)

I did the same test with pf cakes. I used 90 of em, 45 in the fridge and 45 out. Only 7 of the cakes birthed right away was able to keep up fridged ones. (SA strain)

Test recently finished using 120 quarts of rye over a certain period of time is the dark syringe vs light syringe test. I'll have that up in a week or so.

I agree with dcyans on the moisture level of the casing layer but there is a line you can cross and it may have been passed, but with verm we're not gonna see that in a pic.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3018475 - 08/18/04 01:16 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:
I have never encountered problems dunking at room temperature... but I haven't done it often.

Yep fully colonized cakes are extremely resistant to contams. If a person was worried they can always put a couple of ml peroxide to "cleanup" any possible contams, the dunk is short enough where IMO there shouldn't be a problem anyway besides I use "clean" water for all my dunks. GL guys

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3018513 - 08/18/04 01:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yep fully agree. The H202 dunk is also good if you end up pulling out a casing from the container to dig out any side shrooms should some accure.

It's a good all around casing cleaner between flushes so to say.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineKillBill
Quick Learner
Re: My casing, whats wrong? [Re: Magash]
    #3020322 - 08/18/04 08:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

When dunking with a tinfoil bin, ... how the hell should i do it? Just put water in till its soaking then put in fridge? I know it will float, so how do i keep a casing down without crushing it? And yes i've read a lot about it but i still dont' get it i feel like i'm about to waste my first and only casing. Its in the incubator, its a peatmoss / cococoir in a makeshift pod with wet perlite/verm on the bottom and an airstone beneath it.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3020622 - 08/18/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

KillBill you can always put it in a gal. ziplock fill and burp!

Invisiblealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #3021562 - 08/19/04 12:32 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I agree misting too much can be counter productive
as for cold shocks not really needed that comes down to preference and I dont think it will increase yeilds maybe it will speed up pinning but thats it in my experience maybe I missed the boat at some point
patience is a virtue in this hobby
Magash 120 quarts thats insane what do you have a walk in pressure cooker and a insanly big grow area
thats alot of work you got there your gonna have enough magic for you entire state keep up the good work

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate