Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you?
    #3008872 - 08/16/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

This is interesting, we all have a dominant temperament. Which one most describes you as a child?

The four temperaments as an aid to understanding human nature arose as a concept in Greek times. By the Elizabethan period it was deeply woven into the social fabric of our country, but subsequently waned in popularity until, by the beginning of the twentieth century, it was totally eclipsed by the new psychologies of Freud and others. It is remarkable that this was the time that Rudolf Steiner chose to breathe new life into the idea of four basic constitutional types within the wide range of human nature...

The Sanguine
The sanguine temperament is an extroverted temperament. The child lacks the fiery inner purpose of the choleric and is activated more by what is going on around her. She has difficulty in concentrating on one thing for long and a new event easily distracts her. This restless changeability can be a bane for parents and teachers. A sanguine is often light-footed and rhythmical, but also light-headed and light-hearted. The interest she shows in everything makes her popular and a good social bridge-builder. Parties are great fun for her and she is seldom alone. Her face is expressive and mobile and her eyes easily sparkle. She is more likely to have curly hair than straight. It is hard for her to bear antipathy from a friend or an adult, for she is most herself when she feels loved. In extreme forms, the sanguine can appear superficial and may be unable to concentrate on a game or to amuse herself for long. It is good to encourage the sanguine to stick to a task.

and from Steiner about Sanguine:

Notice the sanguine person! Observe what a strange glance even the. sanguine child has. It quickly lights upon something but just as quickly turns to something else. It is a merry glance; an inner joy and gaiety shine in it. In it is expressed what comes from the depths of the human nature, from the mobile astral body, which predominates in the sanguine person. In its mobile inner life this astral body will work upon the members, and it will also make the person's external appearance as flexible as possible. Indeed, we are able to recognize the entire outer physiognomy, the permanent form and also the 'gestures, as the expression of the mobile, volatile, fluidic astral body. The astral body has the tendency to fashion, to form. The inner reveals itself outwardly. Hence the sanguine person is slender and supple.

The Choleric
Choleric is an extroverted temperament and the child likes to assert himself. He is usually ready to tackle a job which would make others pause. He is not shy, but looks at you with a steady gaze. He walks with a firm step. His will to be out in front marks him as a leader. He likes to have the main role in a play or to organise others. He can inspire the group to complete a difficult task. It is not unusual to see him red with anger and with eyes flashing. This temperament likes to win but seldom bears a grudge. Opposing the Will of such a child generally gets the parent nowhere. He needs to be appreciated and given things to do which challenge him and use up his excessive energy. He learns best from people who can do things well and whom he can admire. He doesn't easily learn from his mistakes. If guided well the choleric brings initiative and originality to his play. The temperament is fiery and this show in his paintings, where strong colours, especially red, and strong forms dominate.

The Phlegmatic
Phlegmatic is an introverted temperament. This child doesn't easily connect with what is going on around her, for her interest is not easily aroused. Eating may be a prime attraction and she may be rounded and clumsy. She is generally easy to bring up, so she may not get the attention she needs. She enjoys comfort and doting parents may over-indulge her. She needs to be stimulated to action or to take interest. She is generally placid and doesn't anger except when extremely frustrated. She is methodical, keeping her things in order unless she is so spoiled that, for the sake of comfort, she abandons her orderly ways. She can be counted on to do what she sets out to do, although speed is no object. She has a certain stubbornness, making her resistant to new ideas. She adores routine. Her love for food makes her gain weight and parents should impose a sensible diet. She needs to be encouraged to join in with other children and to try new activities. When she has found and interest in others, the phlegmatic is loyal and steadfast.

The Melancholic
This child experiences his physical body as somewhat of a burden. Instead of moving with a light skip (sanguine) or a firm step (choleric), he drags his feet. A minor physical injury causes excessive pain and while he likes others to know this, he doesn't want to be consoled. Cold water is to be avoided for he needs warmth. He usually avoids social life and prefers to play by himself. Remarks easily wound and are long remembered. When surrounded by different goings on, he chooses what interests him and is not diverted by other things. He gives himself up easily to his own-world fantasies, which tend to be rich. This pre-occupation with his own world appears very egocentric and further increases his isolation. But it is an isolation which he appreciates. This inner concentration gives the melancholic a special depth and understanding which parents can appreciate. He also asks profound questions about God or death. Such lonely souls need a great deal of love and understanding, but too much sympathy is unhelpful, for he is to some extent in love with his own suffering. Making him aware of others can often help to take him out of his self-centredness. While he never wants to be the heart and soul of the party, he appreciates a warm social environment.

While most healthy people will reveal at least three of the four temperaments at one time or another, it is nevertheless true to say that at least constitutionally one temperament seems to predominate. A slim, light footed, sunny child will probably have sanguine tendencies, while a short, stocky boy or girl with a strong, determined step is likely to be choleric. A soft, round appearance, with a dreamy expression and fairly slow and ponderous movement, denotes a phlegmatic disposition, while the melancholic child is often thin, a little angular, pale and given to stooping slightly. These are of course archetypal pictures and within these groupings there is an infinite variety of combinations and personalities at work. However, taking one group at a time, a closer study will uncover a wide range of characteristics peculiar to that group alone. It was this interesting observation Rudolf Steiner addressed when he spoke with great urgency to the founding teachers of the Steiner schools about the importance of a proper understanding of the four temperaments.

There are a lot more articles on this, here is a great one by one of my favorite philosophers, Rudolf Steiner: http://wn.elib.com/Steiner/Lectures/19090304p01.html

this one is an excellent in depth article from a lecture by Steiner: http://www.homeopathyfaq.com/content/other_texts/steiner,4temp.htm

A great article: http://library.adoption.com/Teaching-and...cle/2371/1.html

This one is good too, but you'll want to turn down the cheesy-ass music: http://www.gloriana.nu/temperaments.html

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #3008884 - 08/16/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

why do you feel the need to categorize people and put them in neat little boxes?

OfflineMcKennaFan200
AmateurGairologist

#3008886 - 08/16/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Okay....uhh...I'm not any of those. I identify with the Phlegmatic temperament a tiny bit, but not the whole description.

--------------------

"It seemed to me culture is a shabby lie. Or at least this culture is a shabby lie. If you work like a dog, you get 260 channels of bad television and a German automobile. What kind of perfection is that?"-McKenna

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3008894 - 08/16/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Don't we all? It's not quite like that, anyway....it relates to the elements also, and it's quite like astrology...and i know you subscribe to that....

it's just an interesting thing to think about, and I do believe that we all have a dominant temperament. It could help us to get to know one another a little better........

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? [Re: McKennaFan200]
    #3008901 - 08/16/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well, practically no one would fit the whole description.  Like I say, there's a lot more to them than the little blurb that I provided, but I couldn't fine anything small and very well-written from the search I did, that's why I put the links up.....

The best info is from books but I am too lazy to type from a book. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3008909 - 08/16/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

it's hard to associate one with myself...i'm sure my mom or dad could probably do it. i could probably match one up with young kids that i know.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #3008934 - 08/16/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Well Phishgrrrl, I suppose if I had to pick one, it would be The Sanguine. Being that my Sun Sign is Aries, it is easy to get caught up in the moment, to be distracted by new colorful endeavors, etc. And I definitely have a strong interest in everything. Transcedental in every moment. :-)

Interesting post!

Shine on -
-Ares

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflinePhishgrrl
 User Gallery

Re: the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3008957 - 08/16/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:smile:  You are so cool. Does Ares = Aries in some way?  One of my best friends is Aries, what a spaz! But a really fun wonderful spaz. :heart:

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #3011468 - 08/16/04 11:21 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:balloon:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Anonymous

#3011602 - 08/16/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You might be more interested in the Myers-Briggs personality types. Check out this site: http://www.socionics.com/

The MB types are the most accurate of any temperament system in determining the nature of relationship between any two people.

OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
    #3011644 - 08/17/04 12:04 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have to say that I am more of a Phlegmatic in the social and mostly mental aspect - so I would have to declare that as my dominant temperament. I also consider myself a Melancholic in the aspect that I can appreciate isolation - not purely, but there are a large number of times when I prefer to be alone than with others.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order