Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomman23
bleach spray on casing need answer
    #3005782 - 08/14/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i paul stamets book the mushroom cultivator he says 'a common strategy for serious diesese outbreaks is to lower the rh and run the casing dryer than normal and agaricus cultivators also use slightly chlorinated water (150 ppm).

so what i want to know is how much bleach should i add to a gallon of water to get 150 ppm and would it be a problem if i allways misted with this mix in stead of plain water or should i only use it when my casing get contammated ? all respones are wellcome

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: bleach spray on casing need answer [Re: mushroomman23]
    #3006054 - 08/15/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think this would better fit the contamintaion forum. This topic isnt about clutivation but contam control. When i get a contam i just throw it out, this is why having multiple casings is important, no worrys and no messing aorund. Once you get a contam the spores are all over the casing and in the air. From there it can only spread.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3007405 - 08/15/04 11:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

1:200 ratio this is much easier to figure out this way 1000ml requires 5ml of bleach. Tip: always mix a quart at a time :wink: Bleach solutions can be good at the very first sign as well as H2O2 either will only retard things a bit. I agree any major out break needs to be isolated immediately and thrown out no questions! :wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3007754 - 08/16/04 12:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water is a common ratio to use as a preventative. It won't kill trich that is already established, only the spores. Any outbreak of contamination, as dcyans said above must be tossed out. Don't try to save a casing or cake with green mold. It will only spread its spores and take out anything else you have going.

Offlinemushroomman23
Re: bleach spray on casing need answer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3010391 - 08/16/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for all the responses. will the bleach hurt my casing or myceilum if
i all ways mist with the teaspoon of bleach per gallon is the bleach so diluted that it will only kill contam spores in other words is it better to mist with bleach water or is it better to just mist with plain water and save the bleach mist for contams ?

sorry for posting in the wrong forum but in two days i will be starting a caseing so i need a answer kind of fast thanx.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3010512 - 08/16/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It's always better to use straight "clean" water el natural :wink: I have a friend or two that spray using only 1:200 without any major side effects I for one know that it does retard myc growth slighty but may not be even noticable so if ya feel safer then by all means use it :wink: I do not.

Offlinemushroomman23
Re: bleach spray on casing need answer [Re: hyphae]
    #3010716 - 08/16/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

so it will be a trade off between slightly slower myceium growth but a lower contam rate?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3011671 - 08/17/04 12:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

It will help keep things clean, I myself have never had to use anything other than "clean" water. At that rate you most likely wouldn't notice a big difference. You can always do a side by side :wink: GL And Welcome!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3012390 - 08/17/04 07:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Trich and other contaminant spores are always landing on your casings. There is nothing you can do. We don't live in a sterile environment. Personally, I'm with dcyans. I also don't mist by routine with bleach water. Others do. All the bleach will do is to help prevent the trich spores from germinating. If you're having problems with trich, I'd say the first step would be to increase air circulation. Trich and the more common cobweb mold prefer still, stale air. If you're still plagued by trich, then try the teaspoon per gallon added to your misting water. My personal method is as soon as a casing is made, I lay a sheet of wax paper over it. This serves two purposes. One, contaminant spores land on the wax paper and not on the casing. Two, it holds in the moisture and for the most part eliminates the need for misting. Don't seal the wax paper around the edges, simply lay it flat over your casing. If you have an already established casing, DON'T put wax paper over it. Trich spores have already landed, and the wax paper will facilitate germination. The wax paper tek is only to be used if you do it from the very day you build the casing. Change the piece of wax paper every second day with a fresh one.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bleach spray on casing need answer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3012446 - 08/17/04 08:01 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Trich also loves acidic casings and over time they will sour unless longterm buffers (oystershell flour, powderized eggshell, dolomite lime) are added this especially goes for peat based casings. Myc piss is acidic BTW.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract