Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Noah, Israel, Jesus and The Number 40
    #3007362 - 08/16/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I got an hour to kill before bedtime so I thought I'd expose some ideas I've had so they could be torn apart by the loving hands of the Shroomerites in S&P. I'm too lazy right now to check all my references, but I'll do my best not to mis-represent the original sources, though I will freely interpret according to my whim.

When the earth became very populated, and after the Nephilim started showing up, God decided enough was enough and instructed Noah to build an Ark to pass through the purification process. It rained for 40 days before the new dawn and the rainbow promise.

When the Israelites won thier freedom from slavery in Egypt they wandered in the wilderness until all who sinned against God by worshiping the golden calf had died and only the new generation remained. They spent 40 years in the desert before entering the promissed land flowing with milk and honey.

When Jesus was led into the wilderness to be tempted, he spent 40 days fasting before returning to begin his work as Christ.

So, in the first two instances (Noah and Israel) the meaning of the number 40 seems clear...purification. It would then seem to follow consistency that Jesus' time in the wilderness was also for purification. This would imply that the Jesus who entered the wilderness had some 'sin', that maybe he was just a guy. During his time in the wilderness he becomes 'Christ'.

Now, Jesus said that the end times would be like the times of Noah. Overpopulation, wickedness...and the Nephilim are back (If all this talk about the Grey's is true that is).

We are altering our environment at a pace that far exceeds the possibility for most life to keep up. I don't think there is much doubt that we are in the latest mass extinction era. This means that (with the exception of cockroaches, rats, viruses and other weed species) the only species that may exist in the future are those we decide to take with us and keep in artificially controlled and sealed environments. Could this be the Ark?

Also, if it is true that the story of Noah = the story of Israel = the story of Jesus, then the implications would be that we may be entering into a period of cleansing like Jesus entering the wilderness...and at the end of the purification...we will return as Christ (Christ consciouisness) entering into the promised land of a new creation.

I don't necesarily believe that this is actually the way things are going to happen, nor do I believe in those stories in any literal way, but I do think the similarities between the stories of Noah, Israel and Jesus and the implications of those similarities are interesting.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Noah, Israel, Jesus and The Number 40 [Re: Source]
    #3007533 - 08/16/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

but I do think the similarities between the stories of Noah, Israel and Jesus and the implications of those similarities are interesting.

I have already covered this, but I guess people love to hear me repeat myself.

The number 40 in Biblical times was used as a linguistic metaphor for "a lot" or "a long time", much in the same way as we say "I told you a million times not to do that." So it was not coincidence, nor did the people really mean almost six weeks.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Re: Noah, Israel, Jesus and The Number 40 [Re: Swami]
    #3007568 - 08/16/04 01:52 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, I guess I must have missed those posts. Thanks, I didn't know that. I didn't think it was coincidence, just the opposite, I thought that the use of the number 40 was a deliberate clue to tie those stories together.

Off hand, do you know of any other biblical stories using the number 40? Also, even if the number 40 itself doesn't reperesent purification, it still seems that the time periods themselves were for purification - in which case tying the analogies together may still hold some water.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Noah, Israel, Jesus and The Number 40 [Re: Source]
    #3007924 - 08/16/04 03:36 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

no its 42  :tongue:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology