Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

Sterilizing peat moss / verm for casing
    #3006227 - 08/15/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Is it really nessacary to sterilize peat moss when used in a 50/50 casing mix? I was told on the shroomery.org irc server it wasn't, because nothing can live in those two things.

If indeed I should sterilize it, has anyone used a verm/peat moss plastic bag to PC with? If so, are they safe to use on a rack?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing peat moss / verm for casing [Re: Phynatikus]
    #3006426 - 08/15/04 09:16 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Don't sterilize your casing material. All you need to do is kill any trich or other fungi spores that are present. That's why we only pasteurize casings. You actually want a small amount of bacteria in your casing, as it helps to promote a better flush. I would recommend pasteurizing in quart jars. Place the jars in your PC or other large covered pot with COLD water half way up the jars. Turn on the stove. As soon as the water boils, turn off the stove. After one hour, you can remove the jars. When cool, they're ready to use. Don't forget to use hydrated lime mixed with the peat at the rate of 5%.(that means one tablespoon of lime for each 20 tablespoons of dry peat) Don't count the verm when figuring how much lime to use.

Offlinedoug_E_fresh
the shroomerysrapper

Re: Sterilizing peat moss / verm for casing [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3007279 - 08/16/04 12:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I personaly PC my 50/50 verm/peat mix. It's a shit load of work though, but no contam yet. I think though next time i am just gonna try pasterurizing. Easyer, you know?

--------------------

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing peat moss / verm for casing [Re: Phynatikus]
    #3007670 - 08/16/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I just got a huge turkey fryer that im gunna pasturize with. It seems really easy
enough not having to use a bunch of jars that u could be using for something else.
U dont want to completly sterilize ur casing material or bulk material.
Just pasturize.

--------------------

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

Re: Sterilizing peat moss / verm for casing [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3010556 - 08/16/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Don't sterilize your casing material. All you need to do is kill any trich or other fungi spores that are present. That's why we only pasteurize casings. You actually want a small amount of bacteria in your casing, as it helps to promote a better flush. I would recommend pasteurizing in quart jars. Place the jars in your PC or other large covered pot with COLD water half way up the jars. Turn on the stove. As soon as the water boils, turn off the stove. After one hour, you can remove the jars. When cool, they're ready to use. Don't forget to use hydrated lime mixed with the peat at the rate of 5%.(that means one tablespoon of lime for each 20 tablespoons of dry peat) Don't count the verm when figuring how much lime to use.

Sounds good. Where'd you read this?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation