Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Forgiveness as a tool
    #3005865 - 08/15/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone else here believe in the power of Forgiveness as a divine tool?

Its my personal belief that when we hold what I call "heavy" emotions inside, such as jealousy, hate, anger, fear, etc...we can actually impair our physical body, as well our minds.

Although subtle, I do believe emotions are not created out of thin air. I believe them to be existant, and capable of causing influences in our physical bodies, our minds, and our actions.

I believe the power of Forgiveness as an angel (by angel I mean it in its truest sense, IE a force/power/energy) is one of the greatest tools we can use.

Does anyone else believe that a physical body can actually be relieved of symptoms do to forgiveness, or that the mind/heart can feel more rest?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: tekramrepus]
    #3005971 - 08/15/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The single most powerful use of forgiveness is to use it to forgive ourselves. Others are more charitable to us than we are to ourselves. The human is the only creature on Earth that endures punishments for shortcomings and mistakes again and again. We do this to ourselves. Before we can forgive others we must forgive ourselves. It is the first step in accepting responsibility for our existance and actions.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3006296 - 08/15/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
The single most powerful use of forgiveness is to use it to forgive ourselves. Others are more charitable to us than we are to ourselves. The human is the only creature on Earth that endures punishments for shortcomings and mistakes again and again. We do this to ourselves. Before we can forgive others we must forgive ourselves. It is the first step in accepting responsibility for our existance and actions.

I truly believe this too.  Thank you for posting that.  :heart:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: MOTH]
    #3006325 - 08/15/04 08:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"I truly believe this too. Thank you for posting that."

I second that

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #3006373 - 08/15/04 08:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I completely agree with our negative emotions impairing our physical body and health.

My sister is a massage therapist, and when she does body work, she is taking the negative energies from her clients that they have brought upon themselves.

For instance, stress (jealousy, hate, anger, fear) in the work place (or anywhere, just examples) can cause extreme neck and shoulder knots, which need to be carefully kneaded out and replaced with positive embraces and relaxation.

Now you dont always have to have a massuse to feel relief from all this.  It is forgiveness, and the power of forgiveness is divine.  It relates with ego loss, ditch the pride, lose the ego.

Some people are very fortunate to go through the process of forgiveness within themselves without the help of outside things (outside mentality and spirituality),  Through massage, drugs, foods, whatever they may use as a bridge for their discover of forgiveness.

Hmm, maybe I got a little off track, but nonetheless...I agree.

:smile:
-Ares

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
    #3006393 - 08/15/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: YahoKa]
    #3006553 - 08/15/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YahoKa said:
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

Awesome.  I love that quote.
:heart: :sun: :mushroom2: :grin:

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #3006863 - 08/15/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Forgiveness makes things easier on yourself mentally. But this allows people to walk on you. It seems like when I forgive people, they take it as a get out of jail free card. They enjoy the relief of not being convicted of whatever and seem to not learn a lesson. People are greedy, even with emotions.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3007358 - 08/16/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I also Agree

All people at some point realize the power of forgivness.

That wonderful Power of love

Just to bad 90% forget the first experience.

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleApril
the tiniestspark

Loc: Maryland
    #3007516 - 08/16/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I definitely agree, as well.  I'll just add one more thing.  I think understanding and forgiveness come hand-in-hand.  If you understand why somebody would do something hurtful, you can't stay angry about it for very long.  Understanding, acceptance, forgiveness.

:hippie:

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3007643 - 08/16/04 02:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

forgiveness requires that you love and thereby accept people and yourself.  forgiveness requires the highest and only type of love, and that is unconditional love.

we all have made mistakes, we have all been there.  sure the type of mistake may be different for each of us, but that doesn't have a say on what each of us has experienced. 

non judgement, limit the ego, and realize, that underneath all the shells we put over each other, we are all in the same boat, together. 

much love to this post!    :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #3007930 - 08/16/04 03:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

forgiveness as a tool? interesting...

I would see that as a kind of "eye for an eye" thing -

like "I'm sorry man I fucked your wife.... I feel terrible.. please don't shoot!"
"ok.. ok asshole I forgive you..... now buy me a new toaster"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #3022614 - 08/19/04 11:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

One thing to remember:
Can anybody really forgive someone who is doing 'bad' continously ? And why should I, before he stops ?

Understanding is really good, but if it's only from one side ?

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #3022674 - 08/19/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

if the error of blame exists
forgiveness is required.
otherwise it is kinda goofy, people should avoid doing bad stuff and we have to avoid them if they persist.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3023121 - 08/19/04 01:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't mean to change topic, but this reminds me of a cute signature I saw once:

The difference between men and women:
Men forget, but never forgive.
Women forgive, but never forget.

Back to the topic:

> Does anyone else believe that a physical body can actually be relieved of symptoms do to forgiveness

I have no doubt of this. Body, mind, and soul are all connected. If the mind is consumed by hate or guilt, the body and soul will suffer.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
    #3027589 - 08/20/04 10:06 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If someone does something morally wrong there is no forgiveness. sorry.

there is however, the future.

(come on, who forgets that so and so fucked so and so's wife over christmas)

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3027799 - 08/20/04 11:05 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think forgiveness isn't so much what's important as is acceptance. That is, once you accept, forgiveness comes naturally.

Negative emotions such as anger stem from you being in disagreement with reality. You don't like how someone is acting or how something is happening and you (naively) think, on a subconscious level, that getting angry will change the current unpleasant state of affairs. Of course, this is rarely the case and will often simply aggrivate the situation further. No matter your bark's intensity, you cannot change what has already happened.

The key to overcoming these negative emotions is to accept the real world, with all its faults. Like constantly being born anew, you inspect the situation as if it is something new. Don't let the past events carry over negative emotions to the present. He did you wrong, but he isn't doing you wrong currently, so accept his action and continue forwards.

This is not to say that you disregard the state of the outside world as existing however it exists. You should still try to change things for the better, but without the negative effect of emotions such as anger. Your motivation must be pure if you wish for your actions to result in real progress. You must act out of love and compassion, which you can only do if you've first accepted the reality of things.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Re: Forgiveness as a tool [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3031596 - 08/21/04 06:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Love and compassion often motivates people to continue their 'bad' doings.

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
    #3031719 - 08/21/04 08:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

how can you accept something that is morally wrong? isn't that simply failure to stand by the moral?

people do things, and in a way, i do accept it. however, i'm not to believe a person is "right" after doing something "wrong" -- nor am i offer consolation for it! one may show that they were ignorant to the entirety of their action by changing their future, "learning" from it.

perhaps my definition of "forgiveness" is different than what is implied. i'm referring to the biblical/catholic kind:

1. Murder neighbor
2. Damned to eternal suffering for breaking moral convictions
3. Ask God for "forgiveness"
4. Be welcomed again to the heavenly glory of His Kindness
5. Commit more sin
6. Rinse and Repeat.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#3033057 - 08/21/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm... Jesus said give more to the thieves (provokingly transformed).
But to who killed my sister, offer my brother, too ?
Nah, don't think so.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology