Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNatural2me
Bonafied Friar!

wbs contams
    #3002451 - 08/13/04 09:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hi and thanks for the cool forum.a friend of mine has done brf cakes 4 times in the past.most recently had 20 and zero contams so he felt like going to wbs.hes pretty sterile in his techniques and currently is pcing wbs jars at 60 minutes and using tyvek filter disks.currently hes at about 4 out of 5 jars contaminating with a green mold.he cant figure out where his mistakes are.lysols and oust everything rubs everything in alcohol.and like i said hes pretty sterile in everything he does.the mycelium begins and starts but then the green creeps up out of nowhere and fucks it all up.hes done g2g it fucks up hes done inoculation and it fucks up.any help or tips would be highly appreciated and i tryed searching and have read tons of teks and follow them to the most part but cant figure out what im overlooking.thanks

--------------------
EvEryThInG In ThIs PoSt Is CoMpLeTlY A WoRk oF FiCtIoN AnD Is NoT To Be TaKeN SeRiOuSlY!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: wbs contams [Re: Natural2me]
    #3004314 - 08/14/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Try a few things;

1. Keep a 'negative control' jar. Take a WBS jar and keep it aside without even opening the lid. Shake and incubate with the rest. If it molds, then it's obvious the problem is occuring during the sterilization or subsequent cooling step. If it's clean, you can still use it later.
2. Cool the PC and jars in as clean of an area as possible.
3. Double the layer of filter material.

How do the jars look before contaminating? Does the moisture content look right? How are you working with the jars? Glovebox? What are you using for innoculum? Spores?

OfflineNoeton
wonderer

Loc: Brew City
Re: wbs contams [Re: Natural2me]
    #3022294 - 08/19/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

After success with the pf tek, i tried WBS many times, but had VERY high contam rates. I switched to rye berries, and had much better results.
One thing I can recommend besides switching substrates is covering the tyvek with tinfoil, which lowered contam rates for me. The foil was removed when the jars were shaken, and replaced soon afterwards. This seems to allow air exchange while minimizing contams. Hope this helps!

Offlineokie
Stranger
Re: wbs contams [Re: Noeton]
    #3033860 - 08/21/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hey thanks for the tips guys.that was actually me that was asking for help under my friends account.i figured out it wasnt anything that was left in the jar after pcing but actually something that happened afterwards when i was either doing the innoculation or opening up the lid to do grain to grain.i have a half ass glove box that doesnt work to well and until i decide to make a better one i think ill probably give rye grain a shot.ill need to do some reading up.my friend did manage to get four casing trays done with coir70/verm30 off birdseed and is loving the step up from cakes.i noticed or maybe it was all in my head but the fruitbodys seemed alot less hollow?i just mostly wanted to say thanks for posting and for the suggestions.take care

OfflineJaRRn
Lost in Space
Male User Gallery

Loc: Standing on the Cosmic Sh...
Re: wbs contams [Re: Noeton]
    #3035654 - 08/22/04 07:53 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

LOL Had many contam probs with Pf tek, and 0 with WBS.

I hate contams!

:cussing:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags